Seahawks mock draft (with trades) pre-Free Agency v1

jlag38

Reaction score
Mock draft (including trades) v1

1: Kawann Short DT

I personally wouldnt be mad with any of the first 3 guys I chose going with our first. Kawann has dropped to around 300 and apparantly has ran a sub 5 sec 40 and that was while nearly 15-20 pounds heavier. I doubt we could get him with our 2nd as he has a ton of potential and would be a top 20 pick in almost any other draft. Him and Scruggs (we wouldnt need to re-sign Jones if we drafted Short) could rotate at 3 tech and that could greatly improve our pass rush.

Trade with Jaguars for their 2nd round pick for Matt Flynn and 4th and 5th rounder. 3rd rounder 2014 draft also traded to Jaguars

2a: Cornellius Carradine DE/LEO

If Carradine shows he 100% before the draft we may not be able to get him with our first rounder. He is a top 15 talent and his closest pro-comparison is Clemons imo. Him and Irvin could dominate for years in our scheme and with Short providing some interior push, both him and Irvin could be in the double digits in sacks.

2b: Khaseem Greene LB

Simply an impact player. He is currently listed as the 56 overall prospect, but he seems like a PC & JS draft pick. Converted safety, great leader, production on the field, solid athlete and a model citizen. Wagner, Wright and Greene could potentially make up the 2nd best LB core in the NFC West, and one of the best 4-3 cores in the NFL.

Trade with Atlanta Falcons for our 3rd and their 3rd rounder and 6th rounder

3: Chris Jones DE/DT

I keep alternating between him and Jordan Hill with this pick. I'm going with Chris Jones as we already drafted Short with our 1st and Jones has plenty of room to add to his 290 pound frame. He could replace Red eventually (and provide some pass rush from Red's 5 tech) or bounce inside occasionally

6a: Phillip Steward LB

For anybody who reads Field Gulls, they know just how good Steward could be (http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... ing-report). His season stats? 128 tackles, 19.0 tackles for loss, 3 interceptions, 11 sacks, 3 PBU, and 5 FF

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4W_beAStxqA[/youtube]

Steward is so versatile and such a playmaker that I cant see the Hawks passing on him if he is available (most sites dont even have Steward listed or have him going as a UFA).

6b: Courtney Gardner WR

6'3" 220 reciever that ran the 100 in 10.7 secs? Sounds to good to be true that a player like that is available in the 6th right?

Well, it kind of is. The problem? He is a division lll player who has been arrested for possesion and DUI. He has all the potential of a number 1 reciever, except it will take him longer to adjust to the NFL. That is if he can stay on the field and not behind bars. But a player of his potential is worth gambling on with a 6th rounder

7a: Caleb Schreibeis DE/LEO

Another dominant play for a small school. Caleb won the Buck Buchanan Award for the Griz and could provide depth at the LEO position.

We have two more 7th round picks but there are so many ways the Hawks could go with those I'm not even going to try. This is my first mock so I realize I missed several needs (FS depth, Joker TE, O-line depth, back-up QB) but Im just attempting it right now. Nobody knows whats going to happen before FA and almost 2 months before the draft, but feedback would be appreciated.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd be pretty close to breaking something if we drafted like this! We need to upgrade, or at the least gain depth in our receiving core.

GET MR.WILSON SOME WEAPONS!!

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I like the players, but it's a bit too heavy in defensive picks for me. I'd like to see the Hawks take advantage of this deep WR class by drafting one earlier than the 6th round. Maybe in the 2nd-4th round range.

lukerguy

Reaction score
No way Tank falls to the late 2nd. As well, no way Greene falls to the late 3rd.

kearly

Reaction score
He took Green in the late 2nd.

I liked some of the picks in this mock draft, but I have to disagree on Phillip Steward. You can pretty much throw the production out of the window since he played for Houston. You should never draft a guy solely because of production anyway. Second, he was not invited to the NFL combine. Basically, if the NFL thinks you should be drafted, you get invited. There was something like 330 invites and only 255 players or so will be drafted. Because he wasn't at the combine, we really have no scientific idea how he measures as an athlete. At his pro day we'll get a 40 and some basic measurements, but that's it.

Third, he looks slow as shit on tape. I think the chances of Seattle taking Steward in the 7th are about as good as the chances they would take Te'o in the 1st.

lukerguy

Reaction score
My apologies anyways. Even if I don't think those guys will fall that late that doesn't mean I should just write a one liner...my bad

I've done stuff like that and it sucks when guys don't give any positive feedback. I like a lot of the guys you have. Getting 2 out of 3 of Short, Greene, and Tank would be great.

kearly

Reaction score
Also, I just now read that article. Sorry, but it was awful. First, he picks a fight, which I'm just going to let slide because it's not worth the bother. Second, he just doesn't "get it". He doesn't get how scouting works, how evaluation works, how roster construction works, or even the kind of linebacker Seattle is looking for. He lumps together people who actually scout and put tremendous thought and work into things with the Mel Kiper regurgitators (Matt Miller, etc). He also tries to predict prospect success with stats and spreadsheets, which just isn't a good idea. He also brags about knowing less as if that's a good thing.

I do respect him for trying to make up his own mind instead of blindly buying in. He's right on that front and I try to preach that same message. I'm sure he'll grow with time. We all had humble beginnings.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Is the OP the same guy who wrote the article on Field Gulls?

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
kearly":1esfglqs said:
He took Green in the late 2nd.

I liked some of the picks in this mock draft, but I have to disagree on Phillip Steward. You can pretty much throw the production out of the window since he played for Houston. You should never draft a guy solely because of production anyway. Second, he was not invited to the NFL combine. Basically, if the NFL thinks you should be drafted, you get invited. There was something like 330 invites and only 255 players or so will be drafted. Because he wasn't at the combine, we really have no scientific idea how he measures as an athlete. At his pro day we'll get a 40 and some basic measurements, but that's it.

Third, he looks slow as shit on tape. I think the chances of Seattle taking Steward in the 7th are about as good as the chances they would take Te'o in the 1st.

Could you explain this bold part better? I am not disagreeing with you but just trying to understand your exact point. For example, Bobby Wagner did not go to the combine but we drafted him round 2.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Bobby Wagner was invited to the 2012 combine, but missed because of sickness.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
So we trade Flynn, our 4th and 5th rounders PLUS next years 3rd for a 2nd this year?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kearly":1lk1miwg said:
Also, I just now read that article. Sorry, but it was awful. First, he picks a fight, which I'm just going to let slide because it's not worth the bother. Second, he just doesn't "get it". He doesn't get how scouting works, how evaluation works, how roster construction works, or even the kind of linebacker Seattle is looking for. He lumps together people who actually scout and put tremendous thought and work into things with the Mel Kiper regurgitators (Matt Miller, etc). He also tries to predict prospect success with stats and spreadsheets, which just isn't a good idea. He also brags about knowing less as if that's a good thing.

I do respect him for trying to make up his own mind instead of blindly buying in. He's right on that front and I try to preach that same message. I'm sure he'll grow with time. We all had humble beginnings.

The guy who wrote that piece (Jared Stanger) sent me a series of odd, unprovoked tweets a few months ago listing why he was a draft guru.

Weird.