Rayon Simmons RB Winona State: know anything about him?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
"@Noyar_: Lets just say I HAD A GREAT PRO DAY!!!! scouts really liked me especially the COLTS and the SEAHAWKS!!! Killed it!!!"

[youtube]64vfJxZssf8[/youtube]

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
There are more tweets from this guy:

Rayoff Playoff ‏@Noyar_
Scout from the Seahawks was like if your 223 you might as well be 228... We like you at that... I was like word... Back to eating lol

Rayoff Playoff ‏@Noyar_
Weighed in at 223 at 5'9! 4.67 40 yard dash| 32 inch vert| 9'5 broad| and killed the positionals!!!! LETS EAT

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Good for this kid.

That said, watched his highlights...really slow. Lacked suddenness.

Not trying to be a dick. Kid seems genuinely excited about a big day. Wish him the best, but don't see much to get excited about.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Winona State is my father-in-law's alma mater. I don't know if he knows anything about this kid ... but I'll ask him next time I see him.

My take on this guy would be that this would be one of those possible 7th Round/UDFA gems that the Hawks could take a flier on.

And that doesn't mean that this guy couldn't be a hidden gem. I want to point out that 6th Round draft choice Alfred Morris also ran a 4.67. How'd that work out for the Redskins?

Terrell Davis (also drafted in the 6th Round) also only ran a 4.7. I'd say that was a good pick as well.

We know this for sure ... if the Seahawks are there ... it means they see something there.

OP
OP
-The Glove-

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1tvt7cf6 said:
Winona State is my father-in-law's alma mater. I don't know if he knows anything about this kid ... but I'll ask him next time I see him.

My take on this guy would be that this would be one of those possible 7th Round/UDFA gems that the Hawks could take a flier on.

And that doesn't mean that this guy couldn't be a hidden gem. I want to point out that 6th Round draft choice Alfred Morris also ran a 4.67. How'd that work out for the Redskins?

Terrell Davis (also drafted in the 6th Round) also only ran a 4.7. I'd say that was a good pick as well.

We know this for sure ... if the Seahawks are there ... it means they see something there.

Nice! Looking forward to hear what he has to say.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Just based upon the little footage you provided there Glove, I'm seeing a guy who has pretty good vision -- who sees the holes and hits them fairly quickly. And though he only has 4.67 speed ... that's not always the most important thing for a RB. This guy looks fairly shifty -- he has a nice ability to plant and change direction. He also appears to be hard to bring down if defenders don't take good angles on him. Being short and having a stocky and apparently powerful lower body (5'9" 226 lbs) could really be a boon (we all saw how hard Barry Sanders was to bring down. Looks similiar in that aspect). I'm seeing an ability to break tackles and avoid them altogether there. Interesting prospect. I'm interested in finding out more about him.

kearly

Reaction score
I have to assume Seattle likes him in UDFA. But why? He looks incredibly slow and while 223 is really nice size you have to wonder how much of a physical back he'd be at just 5'9".

Keep in mind, just because one scout likes a guy doesn't mean the other scouts or the coach/gm will agree. It is often the case during meetings that you'll have disagreement. Only a few players receive unanimous approval.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":28ca0a8e said:
I have to assume Seattle likes him in UDFA. But why? He looks incredibly slow and while 223 is really nice size you have to wonder how much of a physical back he'd be at just 5'9".

Keep in mind, just because one scout likes a guy doesn't mean the other scouts or the coach/gm will agree. It is often the case during meetings that you'll have disagreement. Only a few players receive unanimous approval.

In terms of size, keep in mind that Emmitt Smith was 5'9" 216 Pounds and was a very physical runner. He only ran about a 4.55 (40) to boot ... so not exactly blazing speed there. I'd say he had a nice career.

Barry Sanders was only 5'8" 200 Pounds ... but was extremely hard to bring down due to his tremendously huge lower body and shifty moves.

Now I'm not saying this particular guy has the talent of either of those guys (that would be a heck of a stretch) ... but I'm just saying don't discount smaller backs as not potentially being physical or tough for a defense to bring down. There is some success in this league with unheralded RB's taken late in the draft/UDFA's. Don't count him out.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
First question: He got a brother named Polyester?

A one cut zone runner with open field vision would be nice. I am personally a little nervous only being two deep at RB like we were last year.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
A. Morris-5'10/219/4.67
T. Richardson-5'9/228/4.61
S. Ridley-5'11/225/4.65
A. Foster-6'1/226/4.68
Rayon Simmons-5'9/223/4.67

His strength is not his speed. His strengths are his vision and ability to quickly find n hit the open holes. I can see why Hawks like him

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":22q1loof said:
A. Morris-5'10/219/4.67
T. Richardson-5'9/228/4.61
S. Ridley-5'11/225/4.65
A. Foster-6'1/226/4.68
Rayon Simmons-5'9/223/4.67

His strength is not his speed. His strengths are his vision and ability to quickly find n hit the open holes. I can see why Hawks like him

Precisely. That is exactly what I'm saying and seeing with this guy. And that list that you have right there (and I could add to it) are prime examples of why you can't always get hung up on size and 40 time when it comes to RB's.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":35wl3vy5 said:
Precisely. That is exactly what I'm saying and seeing with this guy. And that list that you have right there (and I could add to it) are prime examples of why you can't always get hung up on size and 40 time when it comes to RB's.

He's got the potential to be a starter in this league and I can easily see him excelling for a team that runs ZBS. You can see a lot of good things even though this clip is only about 5 minutes long. He does a great job of putting his foot in the ground n bursting through the running lane and love the jump cuts. His peripheral vision is amazing that helps him make cuts on guys that are coming from behind. Very small sample size and very intriguing prospect.

PhillySeahawk

Reaction score
Goes to my boss's alma mater. Told me about him before the season started. Transferred from a FCS school (Northern Iowa) to a D2 school. Not sure of the reason why. Definitely a player.