Okay Rob, you've sold me on Datone Jones

kearly

Reaction score
http://seahawksdraftblog.com/saturday-n ... tone-jones

Mea Culpa. I am now on the Datone Jones bandwagon.

He had 19 tackles for a loss in 14 games this season. He’s strong enough at the point to push his blocker into the backfield — something we recently highlighted as a key need for Bill Walsh defensive tackles. He also has a good enough first step, repertoire of moves (swim, spin, club, rip) and explosion to shoot a gap and make his presence known.

One of my big issues is execution. Given how often Jones has success in 1v1 battles, he should be even more productive. I’m a little surprised watching the tape that he only manufactured 6.5 sacks in 2012.

Actually, Sports-reference.com only has him down for 5.5 sacks last year, but that's beside the point. I had no idea that Jones' numbers were that good last year. 5.5 sacks is more than solid even for a hybrid player, but the 19 TFL's really caught my eye. TFL is one of my favorite stats because it is essentially a measure of dominance.

The reason I initially didn't like Jones was because I saw two games of his and didn't see the upper body strength or block shedding techniques, nor did I see production. He was a stonewall machine. But with numbers like those, I have to assume I just caught a poor sample. I watched the Stanford game at the end of the season a few days ago, and he was sensational in that game against one of the best offensive lines in college football. Then I watched the combine where I thought he was easily the fastest/quickest DT in the draft.

And today I saw the Senior Bowl practice video from your article, and it's clear that he has rare quickness. He dominated. In fact, he even looked like one of the quickest DEs when he lined up out there. Last week I thought it was funny how Datone Jones' 40 time was actually faster than Bjoern Werner's. I'm not laughing anymore.

But I think what really struck me was how Jones, at least based on what youtube provides us, seemed to get better as the season went on, during a season where he was showing massive statistical improvement. Jones TFL number compared to his previous season almost tripled. Could it be that Jones is a rising star? Maybe, maybe not. But the signs are there. That's worth a #25 pick, IMO.

General Manager

Reaction score
They will have an interesting decision on draft day i just hope they go for an every down complete player.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Those were some great moves he displayed at the Senior Bowl.

What about moving Red to the 3-tech for running downs while playing Jones at the 5? That would maintain run defense and add pass rush, no? Then slide Jones inside to the three on obvious passing downs.

General Manager

Reaction score
Jones is on my list if Kawaan and Richardson are gone. It would be an intersesting call if Kawaan and Datone are both there but that's unlikely.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I don't like him at all for a first round pick- maybe a second. His annihilated the guy at 3:50 of the 1 on 1's but Thornton isn't exactly a good Olineman. He also beat a guy from syracuse who isn't a projected first or second day guy. The only opponent he faced who had 1st round value was Fisher, and he got destroyed. I just don't think he did as well on those 1 on 1's as people say. Brandon Williams had the same amount of good "wins" in the 1 on 1 drills if you ask me.

lukerguy

Reaction score
General Manager":1c7uw8sj said:
Jones is on my list if Kawaan and Richardson are gone. It would be an intersesting call if Kawaan and Datone are both there but that's unlikely.

First of all, I hope we don't even draft a DT in the first round unless it's Richardson. i hope we get a few guys in UFA and maybe someone in the 3rd or 4th.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
lukerguy":3lbtl3gm said:
I don't like him at all for a first round pick- maybe a second. His annihilated the guy at 3:50 of the 1 on 1's but Thornton isn't exactly a good Olineman. He also beat a guy from syracuse who isn't a projected first or second day guy. The only opponent he faced who had 1st round value was Fisher, and he got destroyed. I just don't think he did as well on those 1 on 1's as people say. Brandon Williams had the same amount of good "wins" in the 1 on 1 drills if you ask me.

To be fair, Fisher is a future stud left tackle, which is something Jones would never face as a 3-5 hybrid.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":20apoc91 said:
My question about him, is he a three down type of guy?

No, or at least not yet.

But neither was Bruce Irvin and they took him at #15.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but from reading scouting reports I cant tell, is he a DE or DT?

hai

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3i20yau6 said:
Excuse my ignorance but from reading scouting reports I cant tell, is he a DE or DT?
They say with his athleticism he can play any DLine position. That's why people are torn, is he is a hybrid/tweener or a one position guy.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3suidgcf said:

Jason Jones type DT.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Based on the fact there is this much known about he and the Hawks brass meeting and talking I can only asume that there is no way we are drafting him.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":7lrbamjz said:
Based on the fact there is this much known about he and the Hawks brass meeting and talking I can only asume that there is no way we are drafting him.

Or maybe that's what they want us to think after using those types of tactics in prior years. Maybe they'll switch it up this year to throw everyone off. Or maybe not. Or maybe they do.

[youtube]U_eZmEiyTo0[/youtube]

ivotuk

Reaction score
I just do not like this guy. I read Rob's article on him and watched the Stanford game posted. Started to watch the USC game but it was like he wasn't trying, and USC's O Line was pathetic. A 3 man rush by UCLA, and all 3 got past 6 blockers to tackle the QB. Piss Poor Pass Protection.

He's a low effort guy that slows to a walk as soon as it looks like he's out of the play. The second he's on the ground, game over. He constantly gets blocked and stonewalled by the right guard, generally not the most talented man on the line.... My impression is he's not a football player, that he has a low football IQ and doesn't recognize plays. He's an athlete, but that's it, and that is probably why they played him all over the place, because he doesn't have the ability to play a single position.

At 4:08 in the Stanford game he pulls up while the QB still has the ball. For some reason, the plays at 5:47 and 6:00 just bug the hell out of me, there's no fire. And what is he doing at 7:33? He's got his head down and is just pushing. Then he runs himself completely past the play, only to trot back, not run, trot, and make the tackle.

Look at Lemonier's tape, then watch Jones, the difference in effort, in pursuit, is night and day. There's no violence to Datone's game, there is in Corey's. With Jones, there's no emotion, no hand waving or celebrating success, but there is with Lemonier.

I'm no expert, but I can't see this guy being worth more than a 3rd. The more I see of this guy, the more the Lawrence Jackson comparisons seem appropriate. Give me Kawaan or Corey, guys I know will put forth the effort.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I feel you Ivotuk. That's why I HATED Jones at first. Some of the early games I saw- his effort sucked. I've seen other games more recently where his effort was very good though. Seems like when UCLA needed him to be his best, he was. Effort was definitely there at the Senior Bowl too, which isn't always a slam dunk for every prospect believe it or not.

aawolf

Reaction score
I'm all for going d-line with pick #25, but I'm not sold on this guy. I'd rather have Richardson, Floyd, Short, or Simon, in that order.

CPHawk

Reaction score
CNNsi and CBS both have him gone before 25.