The Seattle Seahawks and the TRADE DOWN scenario ...

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
As crazy as that might sound, I could potentially see that playing out -- that the Seahawks could trade down from #25. If Free Agency plays out for the Seahawks the way that I believe it will ... there is a realistic possibility that they could walk in to the draft with Osi Umenyiora/Dwight Freeney/John Abraham ... and Desmond Bryant in tow. If they are able to sign any of those guys in Free Agency, to me that lessens some of the urgency with HAVING to pick up a DE or DT in the 1st Round. That could honestly open the possibility for a trade down scenario for a team that might value someone there at that #25 position that they don't believe will be there in the 2nd Round. And THAT is where things could get interesting for Schneider and the Hawks.

At that point of the draft (the #25 Pick), a lot of the "stars" are projected to be off the board. We've heard over and over again from various draftnicks over the past few weeks that this draft may be lacking in true superstars ... but it does have good DEPTH (particularly at WR, Defensive Line, Offensive Line, and CB) clear on through the 3rd and 4th Rounds. Realistically then, a player taken at the #25 Pick may not be all that different talent-wise from a player taken in the early to mid 2nd round.

Therefore, if there is a desperate enough team who is really enamored with a player ... the Hawks could (in theory) get excellent trade value there. The #25 pick is worth 720 points ... so they could potentially get a high 2nd Rounder and a 3rd Rounder in a trade there. A team that always seems to mess up on draft day -- like Buffalo for example -- IF they really, really liked a player could call up Seattle and trade the #41 (490 Points) and #71 (235) Picks.

Just throwing that possibility out there. Thoughts?

hai

Reaction score
Honestly, i would LOVE if PC and JS did do that trade, or maybe trade for a future first rounder, however, i doubt we get a future since there is no "Superstar" in draft worth it. Like you said, there are 2 things, What we do in FA, and if there is a talent Seattle thinks just pop out from anyone else worthy in their "eyes" they must get that they think won't be in the 2nd round. PC&JS could have easily done it with the James Carpenter pick 2 years ago with the #25 pick, however, no one wanted to trade up, this year, i think the same since there is no "superstar". Therefore, i would "Hope" we do that trade for a future or the 2nd,3rd rounders this year, but i don't think it could happen with low demand possibly.

Now, supposedly there is a lot of Defensive line depth in this years draft, from DT to DE, also CB, WR, and OL. There are some good stop-gap DE/DT this year in FA. I really believe we won't draft a DLinemen until the 2nd or even 3rd round(depending on FA of course), along with WR, maybe even TE, i truly believe we go BPA with athleticism and huge upside, meaning high risk high reward player, since there is depth in all position that we need depth at. Which means we could possibly picking at #25 a player we probably won't have expected, if we don't trade down.
Like James Carpenter, Bruce Irvin(even though kearly kind of had a feeling about him, and honostly, i believe he had all the tools PC wanted in a LEO, and i had a feeling too, just thought we get him in 2nd round), most were like who, and why. I have no doubt this year will be the same, and i think we might go OG/OT, because i believe there are a good amount of future Pro Bowler Offensive linemen in this years draft, i know it is not a need, not even remotely, however, if you think about our schedule and our division...9ers, Rams, Cards, all have good DLines..also Texans, Giants, and Bucs, about 8-9 games are against good dlines. However, people like to say continuity is the key to good Oline play, and i don't deny it, but when there are no true "superstar player" worthy of the 1st pick, but much depth from rounds 1-3, but only so few pro bowl caliber, and i think most are in the oline and wr/te position, i don't doubt we go O-line or WR/TE in first round in this years draft, who, TBD.

chris98251

Reaction score
Define Superstar, player that has national recognition and plays QB, WR, RB. or player like Irvin or Okung that doesn't get all the headlines but will help you for 10 to 12 years maybe.

We have like 10 picks in a draft that has great depth but few Marquee guys, no Lucks or RGIII's that stand out but a lot of offensive and defensive lineman, good WR depth but maybe not exceptional as far as market goes, but then again WR's are a worse pick then QB's as far as being able to determine success in college transferring to the NFL.

This is a perfect draft for us in a lot of ways, we need big uglys on the line, LB's, TE which this draft has a lot of. Not a sexy bunch of picks but picks that will be our depth and foundation possibly going forward.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
To me the trade down would be for one of the QB thirsty teams with picks near the top of the 2nd round, and you could move back around 10 spots and swap 3rd and 4th round picks with that team. It would depend who was on the board of course

kearly

Reaction score
Unless someone like Richardson or Patterson is there, I fully expect Seattle to attempt a trade down. There is very little difference between the 25th pick and the 40th pick if you take a flexible approach. Finding a trade partner could be the hard part, as every team will want to trade down in a draft this deep, and few will want to trade up. I guess we'll have to hope that a team at the top of round 1 that passes on a QB might want to move up from round 2. I don't want Matt Barkley to slide because I don't think he deserves it, but if he does it could be good for us.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
chris98251":3au5fqos said:
Define Superstar, player that has national recognition and plays QB, WR, RB. or player like Irvin or Okung that doesn't get all the headlines but will help you for 10 to 12 years maybe.

We have like 10 picks in a draft that has great depth but few Marquee guys, no Lucks or RGIII's that stand out but a lot of offensive and defensive lineman, good WR depth but maybe not exceptional as far as market goes, but then again WR's are a worse pick then QB's as far as being able to determine success in college transferring to the NFL.

This is a perfect draft for us in a lot of ways, we need big uglys on the line, LB's, TE which this draft has a lot of. Not a sexy bunch of picks but picks that will be our depth and foundation possibly going forward.

First of all, how I would define "Superstar" would be those players that when you watch you find your eyes bugging out on a consistent basis because of their athleticism and the plays they make time and time again (Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Kenny Easley, Adrian Peterson, etc.). Those are the kind of players I'm talking about when I say "Superstar" ... and I would say based on most of the assessments on the experts out there that this draft is light on those players -- those that "tilt the room" if you will.

We also seem to be hearing is that this is a fairly deep draft at several positions and that the gap between the talent level at the end of the 1st Round ... and say the beginning of the 3rd Round is not all that great.

Again, here is the scenario --

If Seattle comes in to this draft having already signed Osi Umenyiora/Dwight Freeney/John Abraham ... and Desmond Bryant ... that may lessen the urgency to draft a Kawann Short or some of the other linemen available at #25.

If that's true that the talent gap between #25 and the beginning of the 3rd Round isn't all that much ... and the Hawks would like to upgrade the talent in other areas (TE, CB, WR) it might make sense to look to look to drop down in to the 2nd Round IF they could get say another 3rd Rounder in this draft. It just would give you more picks to mine from that deep talent pool ... and maybe gives them the ability to walk with an extra player like a Ryan Swope, Da'Rick Rogers, Aaron Dobson, Darius Slay, Khaseem Greene, Sio Moore, etc -- all guys slated to be there in the 2nd and/or 3rd Rounds.

Just a thought.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
If we can't get richardsom, eiffet, or allen, I think I'd rather not have a 1st. Seems like all the other guy that fit our team could be had much later and an extra. 3rd this year is going to be an impact player so why not hope for another one.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Wenhawk":10ox0mtt said:
If we can't get richardsom, eiffet, or allen, I think I'd rather not have a 1st. Seems like all the other guy that fit our team could be had much later and an extra. 3rd this year is going to be an impact player so why not hope for another one.

That's kind of the way I'm looking at things. As Kearly opined, there is very little difference between the 25th and the 40th Picks. The majority of draft experts out there appear to feel that way.

We've already demonstrated that it would be very expensive to trade UP (even if we were to go up 10 picks it's going to cost us that 2nd Rounder).

So, given that and the fact that the drop-off in talent between the end of the 1st Round and the beginning of the 3rd isn't all that steep ... why not go the other way, trade down and pick up an extra 3rd? The way I'm looking at it is this -- which is better: to have 3 Picks in the first 3 rounds ... or 4? If I had my druthers, give me 4 Picks in the Top 3 Rounds. As Brock Huard is fond of saying, "A 3rd Round Pick in the hands of John Schneider is like a 1st Round Pick."