Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Post subject: Silly thought ... Terron Armstead - DT
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:37 am 
NET Rookie

With the quirkiness and outside-the-box forward thinking of our FO. I know I can't be the only one who thought this after seeing his performance at the combine.

Seeing his explosiveness and athleticism I kept thinking to myself, man if he was just a DT he'd be perfect !!

Of course the combine is one thing, let alone the DL and OL.

I guess my question is, how hard would that switch be?(Sweezy did the vice versa), and anyone think the FO just might look into it or even go as far as working him out at that role?

Just late and bored, thinking crazy thoughts, but just throwing it out there to chew on

Post subject: Re: Silly thought ... Terron Armstead - DT
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:36 am 
NET Veteran

I would expect the transition from OL to DL would be less difficult than the move from DL to OL.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:03 am 
NET Rookie

Honestly...not crazy at all. If there is an FO who is willing to do it, SEA is it.

Quite frankly, I am surprised more teams don't draft mid-late round guys who are great athletes and make a position change. A lot of TE/DEs have the ability to switch either side. LB/FB is another great one that I commend SF for doing with Bruce Miller.

Armstead is interesting. Unfortunately, being an OT with that athleticism insures a relatively high draft pick because it's the simple theory that he is a one of a kind athlete for that size. You can teach technique. You can't teach a 310 human to run a 4.7.

Regarding positioning with Armstead, DT will be extremely tough. Leverage will always be an issue at that height. That said, as a Red Bryant successor, it could be a brilliant idea. Not as stout as Red but has the upside (with the athleticism) to be a bigger threat rushing the QB.

Will it happen? Almost certainly a no. But quite honestly, I really like this type of thinking. Like Sweezy last year, I'd like this team to continually take on a project or 2 like this every draft. Armstead and Washington (awful, awful tape) would be awesome gambles based on "unteachable" athleticism.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 am 
NET Veteran

Well, Melton made a transition from RB to DT and is one of the best 3 tech's in the game; not a crazy idea at all.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:33 am 
NET Veteran

I really really like this idea.

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:18 am 
NET Rookie

SeahawksFanForever wrote:
I really really like this idea.

Yeah the more I throw this idea around in my head, the more I like it. He's like Sweezy, no bad habits, can be molded, and with his measurables and speed you can try him anywhere on the line, just imagine like, mtjhoyas said, a little lighter but ten time faster red bryant.

I don't think it would happen, but if PCJS pulled this move I would not be surprised at all

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am 
NET Veteran

I always remember, these guy's are just athletes when they show up to college and are molded into positions to fit team needs, really it's more about skill sets and if a guy has a particular skill set they can make that transition.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:59 pm 
NET Veteran

You guys play too much madden.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:25 pm 
NET Rookie

T-Sizzle wrote:

Honestly looking from outside, into "our house", you can't tell me PCJS don't kinda run this org a bit maddenesque*(sp). Bring in the biggest, fastest, most athletic guys.

The difference in my opinion is that they don't try to fit square pegs into round holes; they try that peg in every hole till it fits just right; or cut anchor and let sail. They are also do there homework, and the no stone unturned fits there as well when trying to find answers.

They are just two awesome, awesome people we are super lucky to have.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:47 am 
NET Veteran

City Of Reign wrote:
T-Sizzle wrote:

Honestly looking from outside, into "our house", you can't tell me PCJS don't kinda run this org a bit maddenesque*(sp). Bring in the biggest, fastest, most athletic guys.

The difference in my opinion is that they don't try to fit square pegs into round holes; they try that peg in every hole till it fits just right; or cut anchor and let sail. They are also do there homework, and the no stone unturned fits there as well when trying to find answers.

They are just two awesome, awesome people we are super lucky to have.

This is true. They want Aaron Curry type athletes with Lofa Tatupu's head.

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:51 am 
NET Veteran

T-Sizzle wrote:

Why wouldn't it work?

Besides on Madden, where can you plug an OT at DT?

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]