Sheldon Richardson -- Do You Trade Up?

If Richardson Falls to #15 .... Do you Trade UP?

• Heck Yeah, he's worth it -- even at the expense of the #56 Pick

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • No Way, Too Expensive. Hope for Short or just take BPA at #25

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I posted this question elsewhere but since no one's bitten, thought I'd make it its own thread ...

It's been talked about at length how out of all the DT's in this draft that Sheldon Richardson is the one guy who could really be the ideal fit for the Hawks at the 3 Technique -- that pro-typical Bill Walsh DT that could really help turn this Seahawks Defensive Line in to something to be reckoned with.

So regarding Richardson, I've been thinking about this question of him vs. the idea of standing pat and hoping for Kawann Short to fall to us at #25 quite a bit. In looking at NFL Draft Scout's mock drafts, Rang currently has Richardson going at #20 to the Bears while Brugler has him going #12 to the Dolphins. I would say that #15 range or so is about right for Richardson to go in.

So given all that, here's my question -- let's say hypothetically on draft day that Richardson does slip down to #15 and New Orleans is on the clock. If you're Schneider, do you trade up at that point to get Richardson?

If you trade up from #25 though ... it's likely going to cost the Hawks that #56 Pick in the 2nd Round and they would most likely say goodbye to a player like a Khaseem Greene (for example).

So would it be worth it? In that scenario, would you trade up to nab a Richardson if he falls to down in that #15 Range ... OR do you stand pat and hope for Kawann Short?

Personally, I believe that Schneider will most likely let the first 3-4 rounds of the draft come to him ... but then possibly use those later round picks (specifically the 5th and 6th Round Picks) to perhaps trade back in to the 4th Round if there is a real value player that falls down there. Given that a lot of players from this draft won't make this team anyway, I could certainly see that.

So again, hypothetically if Sheldon Richardson for some reason gets down in that #15 Range ... do you trade up to get him ... OR do you stand pat and simply hope for Kawann Short or to take the best player available at #25? Thoughts?

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'd do it. Except I'd try and trade next year's 2nd rounder and a later pick in this year's draft instead. There's just too many solid receivers in this year's draft to not have that 2nd round pick in my opinion. Now, whether or not the team we'd be hypothetically trading with would be down with that is a different story since we'll be picking 32nd :mrgreen:

In all seriousness though, I think we already have our future WILL on the roster. If you have a 4 way battle in camp between Smith, Morgan, Toomer, and Bradford it's my opinion that one of them will end up being the real deal Hollyfield. Better yet, you can even draft an LB in Round 3 if you so choose to add to the competitive mix, although I'd wait til round 4 or so to do that.

Richardson is to us what Julio Jones was to the Falcons and Clay Matthews was to the Packers. He would have that kind of impact on the team in my opinion. You plug him in at the 3 tech and you've got a guy who can consistently collapse the pocket and make it easier for guys like Bruce and Clem (if healthy) and whoever we end up having at DE to clean up. Hell, Red Bryant would probably even have a career year in terms of sacks if Richardson and Mebane were lined up next to him at DT.

I'd be absolutely ecstatic if Richardson somehow ended up in Seattle, but like you said hawkscanner, I just don't see it happening. I don't see the Hawks trading up this year for some odd reason. It's nice to dream during this part of the year though, for sure.

Good post.

Chawker

Reaction score
Richardson will be a good pro. I had thoughts of us trading out of the first round. (our 25th & Flynn for the jets second & Revis) Like that could happen.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I wouldn't. Picking a DT in the first round is a risky proposition. Look at guys like Sed Ellis, Glenn Dorsey and Gerald McCoy. They may be decent players but they have not played like top 5 picks. They certainly have not dominated like scouts expected them to. I'd be ok taking Richardson if we had a high enough pick to do so, but I would not mortgage the rest of the draft or future picks to get him or any other DT. Too risky.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I would have to see how the draft was going. If there are a bunch of QBs drafted in the top 10, and other players we graded down selected, then I would wait it out to 25. If all of their top graded players are going, and Richardson is one of their highest graded...then I'd say you consider it.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
McGruff":1zjx4py3 said:
Mortgage the rest of the draft? Drama much?

What else do you want me to call it? The price will be high. With Star L. having the heart issue, Richardson may go top 5. SB Nation's Mocking the Draft has Richardson as the number 1 overall pick. He is going early even if you don't buy first overall. Remember what the Redskins gave up to move into the second overall pick last year? Top 5 picks do not come cheap, especially when you pick 25th. My description was very accurate.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/ ... -carradine

McGruff

Reaction score
That wasn't the scenario put here, though. It was trading up to the mid teens to get hi. At the cost of our second round pick.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
For a 3rd, yes. For a 2nd, no. Draft is too deep for me to want to give up many picks. But I reserve the right to change my mind depending on how FA goes.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think this is the year we can expect the FO to be a bit more aggressive in the draft. We have the same luxury the 49ers do.. over 10 picks with very very few needs. Simply put, if your favorite guy is slipping and you have the ammo to go nab him - you do it this year.

So in this scenario, if Richardson was their top DT and he began to fall.. I think you have to jump up there and get him.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
McGruff":1yohoxir said:
That wasn't the scenario put here, though. It was trading up to the mid teens to get hi. At the cost of our second round pick.

good point...didn't catch that. I don't know if it is realistic though

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The instant fix by adding SR would be well worth the move, but I don't see him lasting to 15 in round 1, but I would definetely do the deal if he did last that long.
The one thing that I've come to trust with JS and PC though, is that they have proven to be lights out great at finding players that have room to grow, talent up the ass, and heart to put the two together, so I won't be too dissappointed if they go a different route than most here are expecting of them.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":qmhsn1nr said:
For a 3rd, yes. For a 2nd, no. Draft is too deep for me to want to give up many picks. But I reserve the right to change my mind depending on how FA goes.

The problem is guys is that a 3rd Rounder more than likely wouldn't be enough.

It IS a bit antiquated, but Jimmy Johnson's old point formula for the draft is definitely useful here.

According to his chart, the #15 Pick is worth 1,050 Points.
The #25 Pick (which the Hawks currently hold) is worth 720 Points.

So IF (in theory) one were looking to move up in to that range ... somehow, some way you've got to come up with about 300 more points. And that #56 Pick (according to the chart) just so happens to be worth 340 points. There you go -- the likely cost of moving up 10 spots to nab him.

Here is a link to that chart BTW ...
http://www.newerascouting.com/nfl-draft-trade-value-chart/

I threw that question out there as a point of discussion. I was curious to get the feel of where people are at on that one. As for me, I'm with the NO crowd on that one. That would be way too expensive of a deal for my tastes. Now can I see Schneider dealing some of those 5th and 6th Round picks later on in the draft in order to say get back in to the 4th Round? You bet I could. But giving away what would be a pretty quality player at that #58 position to get Richardson? No thanks. But then again, I might feel totally differently come closer to April and after Free Agency.

Chawker

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3qzpt68w said:
I think this is the year we can expect the FO to be a bit more aggressive in the draft. We have the same luxury the 49ers do.. over 10 picks with very very few needs. Simply put, if your favorite guy is slipping and you have the ammo to go nab him - you do it this year.

So in this scenario, if Richardson was their top DT and he began to fall.. I think you have to jump up there and get him.
They traded Alex Smith to KC now they have KC's 33rd pick.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Chawker":37oiaotf said:
Hasselbeck":37oiaotf said:

They traded Alex Smith to KC now they have KC's 33rd pick.

On Alex Smith, the question is though whether or not the 49ers HAVE the Chiefs #33 pick in addition to having the #61 Pick ... OR if KC and the 49ers have flip-flopped positions in the 2nd Round (i.e. KC now having the 49ers pick at #61). Clayton made it clear this morning that isn't known at this point, so it's possible they merely switched positions.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
2 Jacksonville Jaguars
3 Oakland Raiders
6 Cleveland Browns
7 Arizona Cardinals
8 Buffalo Bills
9 New York Jets
10 Tennessee Titans
11 San Diego Chargers
12 Miami Dolphins
13 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
18 Dallas Cowboys

All teams that to one degree or another, have expressed disappointment in QBs or the need to challenge their starting QB. Bundle Flynn and a 4th or later or some conditionals to swap 1st rounders and you could get into Sheldons range. The question is, do the Hawks see Richardson like this forum does?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The final four teams on your list are absolutely not going to change Qbs, especially for Flynn. Miami, really? Flynn to challenge Romo in Dallas?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Scottemojo":188w9dhb said:
The final four teams on your list are absolutely not going to change Qbs, especially for Flynn. Miami, really? Flynn to challenge Romo in Dallas?

If Romo's contract issues aren't resolved in time, JJ has said they'll think about moving on. Cowgirl fans are crucifying Romo and JJ like they have been that past half decade. Eventually he'll have to run Romo out.

Miami, San Diego, and Tampa could all use someone to challenge their incumbent. None of them are 100% sure they've got their man. lol.

I agree there's little chance of ALL those teams having interest in a QB. But one of them taking a serious look this year isn't out of the realm of possibility.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":aifc7mi6 said:
Chawker":aifc7mi6 said:
Hasselbeck":aifc7mi6 said:
On Alex Smith, the question is though whether or not the 49ers HAVE the Chiefs #33 pick in addition to having the #61 Pick ... OR if KC and the 49ers have flip-flopped positions in the 2nd Round (i.e. KC now having the 49ers pick at #61). Clayton made it clear this morning that isn't known at this point, so it's possible they merely switched positions.
If the trade is actually a swap of 2nd round picks, Smith's value (minus the conditional pick in 2014) is between the last pick in the 2nd round and the 1st pick in the 3rd round... essentially a draft pick one round lower (3rd vs 2nd) than if a swap of picks is not part of the trade.