The two players I'd hate to leave this draft without

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
Thanks, Kearly.

I always appreciate all your insight! This is the first draft that I've really followed and prepared for, and I can't wait!!!

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Very nice article there Kearly! Appreciate the efforts.

So I've been soaking in all this stuff you've been writing about Ryan Swope ... mulling it over ... watching as many highlights of him as I can find ... and trying to get a real grasp on him. I'll fully admit that I didn't watch a whole lot of college football this past year (just flat out no time), so I'm trying to get a real sense of some of these prospects.

On Swope, you mention his cutback/change of direction ability and compare it to Steve Largent. Now that really says something if that is in fact true. For those who are too young and never saw him in person, that's one of the things that really made Largent truly great. He was only about 5'11" (more like 5'10" though, I met him once) ... and could only run a 4.7. Because of that, people gave him the "slow footed white guy" label. But time and time again, this guy was constantly open on the field and turning DB's around. Why? Because of exactly that cutback/change of direction ability. He was a bit like Barry Sanders in some ways in that he could go full speed forward ... and then literally cut on a dime 90 degrees, weaving and bobbing his way through traffic. He also had very good leaping ability and absolutely incredible hands. For those who never saw him, here is an old NFL Films Highlight of Largent. One cut in there (around 2:26 in to it) shows some of that ability -- though even that cut doesn't do him justice ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya0X6B_0cok

So Kearly, are you honestly saying that Swope seriously has THAT kind of change of direction ability AND 4.34 Speed to boot? Because if he does, he ain't gonna last until the middle rounds. He'll be gone in the 2nd. Thoughts?

Chawker

Reaction score
Great article, it's real hard to judge the amount of heart and desire each player truely has for the game, big money muddys up the water most of the time.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
The good news is that with as many teams (Seahawks, Niners, Cards, ???) as you cheer for, kearly, there is a really good chance you don't go away empty-handed.

I kid (primarily).

The idea of giving Russell Wilson a WR he can grow with (given all the other weapons already at his disposal) for the next 6years and more is beyond exciting to me. Be it Swopes or one of the other heralded targets in this draft, the thought is just so appealing to me as a fan.

aawolf

Reaction score
Good job, Kearly. After watching the film on Simon, he's tied on my wish list with Khaseem Green and both are considered 2-3 round prospects. These are the type of defensive players I love--hard workers with a nose for the football, who are disruptive on most plays and considered leaders by their coaches and teamates. Both can play LEO, but Simon does seem like he can be moved around and play DL if the need arises. I like both players equally and hope that we can get one of them.

BallHawk

Reaction score
Great read. I'll have to look at Simon a little closer. I will have to disagree with you on Swope, however. I don't think he gets out of the 3rd round if he even gets that far. I wouldn't even be at all surprised if a team snags him late 2nd though I think 3rd is where he'll go.

McGruff

Reaction score
Watching Simon I see a smaller, less athletic version of Sheldon Richardson. he's a lineman that plays the game like a linebacker. Very active and instinctive. He deliberate in his movement. Plays with his head up, watching the ball. He's not as explosive as Richardson, and is more of a read and react defender. Doesn't seem like the disruptive force we need, but he actually reminds me a bit of a free agent we've talked about . . . Henry Melton.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'll try and use some voodoo mind tricks to get inside of Schneider's head for ya, Kip. It'll go...

Round 1) Trade up for Richardson
Round 2) Ryan Swope
Round 3) John Simon

That's as far as my voodoo mind powers go. The rest is on Schneider. Hopefully he reads the boards here and goes with some combination of Matt Scott, Micah Hyde, Jamoris Slaughter, Darius Slay, Cooper Taylor, and Armonty Bryant.

Good call on Simon and Swope though. Love the tape on them. Although in my head I've got Richardson and Swope as guys I don't want to leave the draft without. What can I say, I have an affinity in my heart for white wide receivers.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
Do you guys really think that Swope will go in rounds 1-2? I know we're getting excited, but the dude is not in anyones top 10 rankings for WRs.

NYCoug

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":22xiabb5 said:
No homo but I have a thing for white WRs. I really wanted Kris Durham to succeed as a seahawk

Ehhh, for some reason Durham wasn't "white enough" for me. Kinda like how Griffin isn't black enough for some.

I don't know, he didn't ooze "teacher on the field" or "tough as nails" or "lunch pail guy who spends his entire life locked in the film room."

Also, he was too fast and too athletic for the prototypical white wide receiver. Sure, Swope's fast as all hell and a great athlete, but are there any pictures of him jumping over his own mother? Didn't think so.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
NYCoug":1gy94w1b said:
SeahawksFanForever":1gy94w1b said:
No homo but I have a thing for white WRs. I really wanted Kris Durham to succeed as a seahawk

Ehhh, for some reason Durham wasn't "white enough" for me. Kinda like how Griffin isn't black enough for some.

I don't know, he didn't ooze "teacher on the field" or "tough as nails" or "lunch pail guy who spends his entire life locked in the film room."

Also, he was too fast and too athletic for the prototypical white wide receiver. Sure, Swope's fast as all hell and a great athlete, but are there any pictures of him jumping over his own mother? Didn't think so.

Haha Good reply.

I am a huge fan of Brandon Stokley, Wes Welker, Jordy Nelson, etc. I was so bummed when Stokley left. He is my all time favorite slot receiver.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I like Simon a lot, he is smaller and won't fit every team but damn is he good at getting to the QB. I think Rob has had him going to Pitt in the second round for a while. Reminds me of Clay Matthews actually, looks a lot like him in the game tape. I hope to holy hell he doesn't end up in SuckFest.

Swope is a guy I like as simply a playmaker, I think both have the potential and upside and Swope adds something we don't have insane speed on the outside and he is big enough to tangle with the monster large CB in the NFL. The point you make about being productive under both Tannehill and Manziel is awfully Wilson-esq, also different coordinators as Sherman went to Miami the year prior, that raises a flag IMO.

sutz

Reaction score
Wasn't John Randle a bit 'undersized' for a DT? He had some success.

:)

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":358x28e1 said:
Do you guys really think that Swope will go in rounds 1-2? I know we're getting excited, but the dude is not in anyones top 10 rankings for WRs.

And we care about "rankings" why...?

Signed,
Russell Wilson & Bruce Irvin

:th2thumbs:

This front office doesn't give a rat's ass about rankings, round projections, etc. They don't need airbag Kiper to tell them where to look for talent. They rank players by how they fit into their system vice how they fit into convention.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2bqjfnjg said:
bigdaddydave":2bqjfnjg said:

Signed,

This front office doesn't give a rat's ass about rankings, round projections, etc. They don't need airbag Kiper to tell them where to look for talent. They rank players by how they fit into their system vice how they fit into convention.

I think that's a bit harsh. Of course our F.O. cares. They have to care, so they know when to swoop in and make the steal.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":136rmjsr said:
FlyingGreg":136rmjsr said:
bigdaddydave":136rmjsr said:

Signed,

I think that's a bit harsh. Of course our F.O. cares. They have to care, so they know when to swoop in and make the steal.

Or in this case, "Swope" in and make the steal?

Alas, you missed my point. They have their own system of evaluation and value ranking. They don't subscribe to someone elses.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3l012xm4 said:
bigdaddydave":3l012xm4 said:

Signed,

Yeah... What I meant by that was that some of you guys are saying that we need to take him with a FIRST or maybe even a second... I like the dude, but if he's on no one elses radar until the 4 or 5th rounds, lets be realistic!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":2ol61jwj said:
FlyingGreg":2ol61jwj said:
bigdaddydave":2ol61jwj said:

Signed,

Yeah... What I meant by that was that some of you guys are saying that we need to take him with a FIRST or maybe even a second... I like the dude, but if he's on no one elses radar until the 4 or 5th rounds, lets be realistic!

Oh yeah, right on. I can't see taking him in the 1st or 2nd.

Latest posts