I'm starting to warm up to taking Markus Wheaton

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I want the Hawks to take a WR in round 2... and I'm concerned that Ryan Swope will be gone before our pick at #56 so I stated looking for an acceptable substitute (assuming we don't trade up in the 2nd round by trading Matt Flynn to a QB-needy team like J'ville).

For a while I was on the Hopkins bandwagon and still am to a degree, but Markus Wheaton has really caught my eye. Mind you, I also like Stedman Bailey, Robert Woods and Chris Harper as well but Wheaton's production in combination to his quick-twitch measurables make him very attractive to add to RW's arsenal.

I'm interested in what others think about Wheaton in general, as our 2nd round pick, and if they think that he'll still be an option to us with our 3rd round pick (#87).

TIA.

Chawker

Reaction score
Thank you oags! I was hoping somebody would mention him. Not good sized or to speedy, nothing really stand out at you. But he does have all the tools to become successful NFL WR. His numbers at ORE. got better with each year, good an steady PROgress. :th2thumbs:

Jsolo

Reaction score
Even though his 40 time wasn't blazing fast or anything, he does have elite top end speed. He essentially beat Oregon's De'Anthony Thomas in the 100 meter (though it was his debut). Beating out one of the most dynamic in a race is pretty impressive. He's the WR that intrigue me the most because he adds an added dimension to our offense.

jhern87

Reaction score
Wheaton is a stud.. Dude seemed to grab everything in college. Would be stoked to see us get him.

Chawker

Reaction score
I think theres good value in selecting Wheaton in round two. I see him as a total package WR, a better grade then Hopkins.

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
i would love hopkins in the first round but i really dont see this FO drafting a WR in the 1st round with such a deep wr class. i actually see them pulling the trigger in the 3rd round, with the first two picks on defense

jhern87

Reaction score
AnchoviesofTerror":1b28l7nz said:
i would love hopkins in the first round but i really dont see this FO drafting a WR in the 1st round with such a deep wr class. i actually see them pulling the trigger in the 3rd round, with the first two picks on defense
:13:

Pete's proven to be able to find value mid and late in drafts and the WR position this year seems to be an area where you will be able to get talent deep in the later rounds. I really wouldn't be surprised if we took Wheaton over Swope. Wheaton is one of the quicker receivers in this draft and that'll get you open more than straight line speed. Man, I'm ready for the draft!

cover-2

Reaction score
IMO I would much rather have Wheaton over Swoop. Wheaton may not have run the fastest 40-yard time at the combine, but if you watched the combine you could see that it is a little flawed; it's only half electronically timed. Wheaton has elite acceleration , quick feet to run good routes, and elite speed. I don't think Wheaton will be available when we pick in the 2nd round, while Swoop should be there.

Blazenhawks

Reaction score
I would love Wheaton I watched him at Oregon state he is going to surprise a lot of people in the NFl he is fast and runs his routs good. But he is going to take time like golden Tate has

OP
OP
onanygivensunday

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
jhern87":1wc6z85z said:
AnchoviesofTerror":1wc6z85z said:
I really wouldn't be surprised if we took Wheaton over Swope. Wheaton is one of the quicker receivers in this draft and that'll get you open more than straight line speed.
If you weren't aware, Swope's 3-cone time from the Combine was better than Wheaton's (6.76 sec vs. 6.80 sec)... and Wheaton's 20 yd. shuttle was better than Swope's (4.02 sec. vs. 4.24 sec.)

Other measureables... both had verticals of 37 in.... Swope's broad jump was better (125" vs. 120").... and Swope is taller and thicker than Wheaton (6-0 and 205 vs. 5-11 and 189).

Wheaton's 4.02 sec in the 20 yd shuttle was tied for 8th best in the Combine for all participants.

fwiw

Latest posts