Toughest thing about this draft for me

kearly

Reaction score
Is having patience.

The Seahawks need a guy like Sheldon Richardson. Trading up is tempting.

There are maybe 10 players that are realistic options at #25 that I'd LOVE to have on our team. The temptation to trade up from #58 and grab a second one of them is pretty high.

At #58 I'm expecting multiple good options as well. And so on.

But I think the toughest part is this- sitting on my hands while guys like Hopkins, Ertz, Eifert, and Swope slide into round 2. Seattle might pass on WR/TE in round one, then pass again in round two. I know that's okay, because there is so much depth at both positions. But I like those four more than any pass catchers from last year. Any of them! Having the patience to wait is going to be tough, and even a smart pick like Stedman Bailey or Markus Wheaton in round 3 / 4 or Marquess Wilson / Kenny Stills in round 7 is going to feel like a let down, even though I know there is a ton of talent out there.

Going to be very hard to pass on some of the pass catchers this year. I'm not looking forward to it.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
I agree on the depth Kearly but I don't feel we need to add a TE any earlier than the 4th round. Miller is good and McCoy is a good blocker and was effective for his role. just my opinion.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
For as much sweat and tears as you put into this kearly, I hope you're making a buck somewhere. Because you know, by the end of this years draft we'll all know the same thing. :mrgreen:

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'm just glad this draft is deep at WR and defensive line. I've got my favorite prospect, but knowing we'll be getting great value at those positions no matter who we draft, helps.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Pete has said there won't be room on the team for all the draft picks. thus even though it my go hard against JS' best instincts to add more talent to fight it out for a slot on the team acquiring those special talents with at least one trade up might possibly occur this year.

Certainly is food for thought and several of our favourites would likely be the focus of the trade up which may more likely occur in the 2nd or 3rd rds.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
We currently have 3 7th's and could get two more in comp picks. I would not mind them doubling or trippling down on WR and LB and mabye they get lucky.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Use Flynn, our 4th and 5th to move up in the 2nd or 3rd. I'd trade our 3rd, 4th, and a 7th for a mid-late 2nd.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Right there with yeah Kearly. Passing on The likes of Hopkins and Swope will kill me inside as I know that they are exceptional players.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":1zyicwu7 said:
For as much sweat and tears as you put into this kearly, I hope you're making a buck somewhere. Because you know, by the end of this years draft we'll all know the same thing. :mrgreen:

Yeah, but I knew how awesome Wilson would be months earlier than anyone else would, and got to celebrate the pick when it went down like we'd just won the lottery. That alone made it 10000000% worth it.

Following the prospects and scouting and self-evaluating makes the draft much more fun because you know what's out there beyond "Kiper's best available."

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Kearly... I have read several of your posts and I know you have respect on some level in the forum and many are grateful for all the analysis time you put it in. Still, I assume you intend your statement of knowing "how awesome Wilson would be months earlier than anyone else" as hyperbole - just to say that this activity is worthwhile to you. Surely (and not calling you Shirley), you don't assume that no one else had any similar thoughts about the potential of Wilson. There was a lot of talk about him leading up to the draft and Jon Gruden's QB camp blew the lid off anything that was unknown to doubters. There was talk all the way back to when he went into Wisconsin and was voted Team Captain. It didn't take long after that to realize he was special, but the "prototypical" talk is what caused many to dismiss his talents and leadership. I, too, felt as though the Hawks could have very well won the lottery and was elated at that moment they drafted the kid. But, I can't imagine - to Russell Wilson's credit - that anyone thought he would exceed expectations and accomplish to that extent all he did.

In terms of the "patience" - that sounds like Holmgren (and others) terminology of allowing BPA to come to you. I never liked how that tended to turn out. Still, that is one general principle to keep in mind, but not the only one for any and all drafts. The draft is really a roll of the dice no matter how much analysis is put in. Sometimes you hit on a player, often you don't. At this juncture with the Seahawks... perhaps it's not so unwise to consider not passing on what could be elite talent and not merely settle for role guys or draw it up to get certain players in certain rounds. Everything I've ever heard from JS/PC doesn't suggest to me that they "pass" on a player they really want. They don't care if others don't have their guy projected as high. They target their players and go after them. If any of those players you happen to like is on their radar and high on their board... they are not going to simply "pass" just to appease perceived patience. Not saying that there isn't any merit in being patient. I think there have been occasions teams get their player a round later. I think that happened with the Hawks last year with one of the picks (can't recall which player - Turbin?) But, teams don't want to be patient to a fault that it ends up costing you a player you target. This is about making your team better and there's a certain amount of risk involved.