Chiefs willing to deal 1st overall

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Chiefs willing to deal 1st overall
Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:52 pm
  • What would you be willing to offer the Chiefs? Flynn plus next years first round (32nd overall) and this years first - or? How much do you think it would take?
    dukestar
    NET Practice Squad

Re: Chiefs willing to deal 1st overall
Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:56 pm
  • More than that I'm afraid. Personally, I don't see a absolute player that we have to have.
    Donk70
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:58 pm
  • How much did the redskins give up this last year?

That plus more probably.
    tubbs51
    NET Starter

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:00 pm
  • To the OP. Why do you want us to move into the overall number 1 spot?
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:07 pm
  • Thank god our front office isn't dumb enough to go for a move like that. There is absolutely NO reason to move into 1st and give up trades for it, this drafts first rounders are very equal this year, waste of resources.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    BigMeach
    NET Starter

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:14 pm
  • lol OP... really? That deal would probably move us from 25 to 10... nowhere near the 1st pick
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm
  • morgulon1 wrote:To the OP. Why do you want us to move into the overall number 1 spot?
    To get first crack at the DE/DT that we need that can be a day 1 starter. I don't see it costing anything like last year given there is no standout franchise QB at 1 and 2. Plus we can afford to trade draft picks since our team is stacked as it is. No way we need 10 picks this year since many of those will likely never play a down for us.
    dukestar
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:20 pm
  • There's nothing to be had at the first overall pick that we couldn't get at about #15 (and Sheldon Richardson is the ONLY reason I would approve of a trade near that slot). Let the Whiners sell Alex and their future for it.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:22 pm
  • This is not a draft that is worth moving up to the top 10, let alone #1 overall.

And that's exactly why the Chiefs are willing to trade the pick.
    @SeahawkGreg

GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:23 pm
  • I'd offer them Heath Farwell, Heath Evans, Heath Ledger and a Heath bar and just be like "Your move, Dorsey."
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:24 pm
  • Since this is draft day stuff I'm moving it to that forum.
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:38 pm
  • Uhh no. 11 5th round pickes are more valuable to this regime than a 1st overall pick in any Draft but especially this year. Look at the player's projected to go at the top. Our training camp competition will be insane this season. Can't wait!

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:56 pm
  • This is not a top heavy draft, which is exactly why the Chiefs want to move down. All the teams in the top 5 probably do
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:10 pm
  • Has any .net proposed trade in the last 5 months NOT included Matt Flynn?
    * NET Staff *

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:18 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:This is not a draft that is worth moving up to the top 10, let alone #1 overall.

Which means that the value of the overall #1 pick isn't going to demand the same as it did to move up to get RGIII last year. Not you, FlyingGreg, but I think several fellow posters who responded jumped way too quickly on the original poster here. Too, perhaps the Hawks could be part of a 3-way trade that could move Flynn and bring a higher than #25 overall pick.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:21 pm
  • Considering he's our only realistic player trade chip, I think it makes sense to add him into any trade proposal. Whatever we can use to lower the cost of draft picks in whatever trade ends up happening. I wish Paul Allen would be allowed to Jay send straight cash homie haha buy our way through everything ;)

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:35 pm
  • It's likely they would trade the first pick for a guy that will more than likely have next to no intrest so I say pull the trigger.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:43 pm
  • I don't expect the Hawks to move up, but it's a valid point that there are enough "resources" with 10 draft picks to think about moving up since it's going to be tougher this year for players to make the team. If the Seahawks really like a player they think is "the one" in the first round that is going to help them... I wouldn't be too surprised to see them make some sort of move to put them into a position to get that player. They have some chips with which to try to wheel and deal. Wasn't there talk of them possibly trying to move up to draft Mark Barron? Or, were they hoping he would fall to them?

It's an exciting time and this is an important off-season. The Hawks did well in 2012, but haven't won anything yet in 2013. Not the time to get complacent. I'm counting on JS and PC making championship moves. That doesn't necessarily mean "big splash", but very specific moves. Perhaps if they see a specific player in round 1 fitting perfectly into their plans... they'll try to make it happen. That wouldn't necessarily mean only KC or that #1 pick would be involved in some way. There's other teams that might want to move back in such a draft and it may not take as much as last year to do that. If so, forget it.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:52 pm
  • tubbs51 wrote:How much did the redskins give up this last year?

That plus more probably.

It's not the value of the position but the value of the player available - RGIII was viewed as a gamechanging QB (which hindsight has proven to be true, at least for one season).

This year there's no consensus 1st overall pick, and for that the value of the actual pick drops, certainly Flynn and a 1st round pick won't cut it, but maybe 2 1sts and Flynn would pique curiosity, and I'd jump all over such an opportunity.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 pm
  • TeamoftheCentury wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:This is not a draft that is worth moving up to the top 10, let alone #1 overall.

Which means that the value of the overall #1 pick isn't going to demand the same as it did to move up to get RGIII last year. Not you, FlyingGreg, but I think several fellow posters who responded jumped way too quickly on the original poster here. Too, perhaps the Hawks could be part of a 3-way trade that could move Flynn and bring a higher than #25 overall pick.
    Thanks Teamo, I was ready to put on the dunce cap and go to the corner after a few of the responses but I think this is exactly the type of draft to move up and get the exact player you need to take it to the next level. If we can unload Flynn at the same time then even better. Perhaps a better option is to swap firsts and Flynn to the Jags. I'm just throwing this out to see what others think ffs and some guys jump down your throat. Actually now that I think about it the fact that a lot of .netters think it's nuts makes me think it's something Pete and John would consider.
    dukestar
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:49 pm
  • dukestar wrote:
    TeamoftheCentury wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:This is not a draft that is worth moving up to the top 10, let alone #1 overall.

Thanks Teamo, I was ready to put on the dunce cap and go to the corner after a few of the responses but I think this is exactly the type of draft to move up and get the exact player you need to take it to the next level. If we can unload Flynn at the same time then even better. Perhaps a better option is to swap firsts and Flynn to the Jags. I'm just throwing this out to see what others think ffs and some guys jump down your throat.

Well, I think the deal with Flynn is he actually would be a great QB to have on the Hawks roster another year. But, he wants a chance to start and the Hawks could benefit to not be paying him his contract money (though, that wouldn't be the end of the world to get to keep him another year.) Of course, Flynn is in the Seahawks hand to possibly deal. What I don't understand is why the Chiefs would want Alex Smith over a guy like Matt Flynn. I realize that Smith has more starts and all, but do they want to give up what the 49ers might try to steal from them to rent a guy? Why wouldn't they rather give up something reasonable to the Hawks to get Flynn who can be that younger veteran who can come in and energize the team and fan base. Everyone saw why Flynn didn't start: RW. I've got friends who want Flynn for their QB needy teams. I think Alex Smith would do ok, but if I was a new coach or in need of a new QB, I would much rather bring in Flynn than Smith.

Sounds like most on this board think that you get pretty much the same or similar player at 25 that you do earlier in the round (or not much drop off.) Deep draft, but not discernible elite talent. The only thing that matters is what JS and PC / the Seahawks collectively think is worthwhile. At this point... there are seemingly endless possibilities from any fans perspective. None of us are going to know anything about any real possibilities. I don't think it's probable that the Hawks will outright trade into that #1 overall spot. What's interesting to me is that I don't remember an off season where there was quite so much optimism for next season (and I've followed the Hawks every year of their existence.) I don't think it would be a complete violation of their philosophy at this point with the team looking like they're in a position to seriously challenge next season to make some big moves if they conclude that a certain player is more worth the risk than getting a number of players to compete for that same position.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:47 pm
  • Soo... There's a chance we could draft Sandcastle?
    Guardian
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:50 pm
  • I would have to ask is Flynn worth more then a 25th round pick to us based on the grades of this years draft. A qualified back up possibly a starter on another team isn't something you toss out the window. In this Madden era of the draft we easily dismiss someone that isn't adding stats to a fantasy league, but as a legitimate contender for a Super Bowl I think the depth we have is a lot more valuable then given credit for. especially since the drop off of 2nd string QB's that know our system and can move the ball is limited.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:21 pm
  • Maybe the Chiefs would trade the first pick for Wilson, straight up.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:35 pm
  • nobody in this dradt worth making a move that would cost us that much.
    hawksman53
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:35 am
  • If it was next year, I'd give up a TON for Marqise Lee!!

This year: Absolutely nothing. In fact, I kinda hope they trade back depending on who's gone by the 25th pick.
    bigdaddydave
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:46 am
  • Guardian wrote:Soo... There's a chance we could draft Sandcastle?

Lloyd Christmas in our midst.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 am
  • hawksman53 wrote:nobody in this dradt worth making a move that would cost us that much.

And... no one is really saying do that. No one is saying let some team fleece Seahawks. Your comment suggests that. In terms of whether or not there are players worth making a move (without injecting the fleece the Seahawks part)... yes, there are players that very well may be worthwhile.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:55 am
  • bigdaddydave wrote:If it was next year, I'd give up a TON for Marqise Lee!!

This year: Absolutely nothing. In fact, I kinda hope they trade back depending on who's gone by the 25th pick.

Absolutely nothing, huh? Therefore, no players will be taken until the 25th selection (and... wouldn't that, then, make that player the 1st overall pick?)
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:59 am
  • TeamoftheCentury wrote:
    bigdaddydave wrote:If it was next year, I'd give up a TON for Marqise Lee!!

Absolutely nothing, huh? Therefore, no players will be taken until the 25th selection (and... wouldn't that, then, make that player the 1st overall pick?)

Huh?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    TeamoftheCentury wrote:
    bigdaddydave wrote:If it was next year, I'd give up a TON for Marqise Lee!!

Huh?

Your right, I read it wrong. Perhaps not enough coffee before reading posts. I read too many posts in a row and assumed that the poster was saying there is no player worth trading up for. Re-reading, I think what was meant was don't give up anything for a higher pick in the 1st. (I still think there might be players worth trading up for. But, not the point of this comment, apparently.) My apologies to bigdaddydave and gratitude to you CaliHawk1 for pointing out confusion.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 am
  • Id rather stock up on 3rd 4th and 5th round picks where JS and PC have done some of their best work.
    strohmin
    NET Starter

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 am
  • This draft is going to be like the 2009 draft. You don't want to be in the top 10, but 15-25 are going to be bursting with great players.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:46 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:This draft is going to be like the 2009 draft. You don't want to be in the top 10, but 15-25 are going to be bursting with great players.

I know what you are saying, it's just why not draft those players in the top ten then?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:56 pm
  • AbsolutNET wrote:This is not a top heavy draft, which is exactly why the Chiefs want to move down. All the teams in the top 5 probably do

Can you imagine how frantically teams would be trying to trade down this year if the rookie pay scale wasn't in effect? Imagine having to pay $60 million for somebody in this draft class. Yikes!
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:02 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information