Ryan Swope 40

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Was officially a 4.37! Dang, he is slowly becoming the WR I would want if we don't get DeAndre Hopkins.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
Yeah, he is opening some eyes.

I have really liked what Marquess Wilson has done today. He ran a 4.51 officially and looked like one of the more comfortable receivers in the gauntlet. Most of those guys let the ball come into their body or just looked akward catching the ball. Wilson actually looked comfortable catching the ball with his hands away from his body. Vernon from Duke looked the best catching the ball but he isn't really big or fast at all. I think Woods looks really good as well.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3pogatn3 said:
Least likely looking player ever to run under 4.4?

Untitled 7 zpsddfe25c5

He reminds me a lot of Steve Largent. :)

Having another Steve Largent would suck.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Wonder if he even makes out out of the 2nd now? Kearly was really high on him before, I wonder how much his time bumps him compared to some of the other prospects.

kearly

Reaction score
A bigger Steve Largent is a good comparison for Swope. Both are fast, savvy, creative, tough, and highly competitive. Largent was pretty underrated when he came out as well, although I'm not sure if Swope can stay under the radar any longer after doing this.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
While watching the Combine this morning, what really stood out to me about Swope, other than his 40, was how sharp his cut was on one route where the WRs were instructed to run to the cone and then cut 90 degrees outside.

There was no other WR that made the cut anywhere near as sharp as Swope. He's got great hips and flexibility. The kid's a keeper imo.

He'd be a significant upgrade over Baldwin in the slot.

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
I only have the info from NFL.com to go by from the combine, but it's crazy how there are like 4-5 stories on the front page with titles like 'Blazing a Trail', 'A day at the Races', 'Track Speed' & none of them involve this guy? Is it cause he's white or is that a tad harsh I just don't get it, dude beat Austin in most of the drills but does not get a mention about a 'Top Combine Performer'

kearly

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1v78k9w5 said:
While watching the Combine this morning, what really stood out to me about Swope, other than his 40, was how sharp his cut was on one route where the WRs were instructed to run to the cone and then cut 90 degrees outside.

There was no other WR that made the cut anywhere near as sharp as Swope. He's got great hips and flexibility. The kid's a keeper imo.

He'd be a significant upgrade over Baldwin in the slot.

Yeah, I'm not exactly expecting Swope to be on John Schneider's interview list at the combine, if you catch my drift.

chris98251

Reaction score
With that speed why would you put him in the slot anyway? As far as upgrade over Baldwin, I would have to wait and see, after all Baldwin had his teeth knocked out and came back and played, had what looked like a broken Clavical or dislocated, whatever it was ugly and missed one game and came back and played. Not up to his first year, but then again he wasn't asked to be the only receiver that could catch a ball last year either.

Healthy I hope we see the complete Baldwin again coming this season and that he can limit the severe injuries.

kearly

Reaction score
Swope is a very complete WR and can play anywhere. Doesn't have to be slot, but I think he'd be really, really good there.

sutz

Reaction score
It seems to me that more and more, WRs are not being locked into pigeonholes as "1", "2", or "slot" receivers. They all move around, most go in motion from time to time. But slot is where one might expect a new guy to start out while he learns the totality of the playbook, especially on a team like ours, where the WR corps is not that weak. Sure, we could use some help, but it's not like our WRs are tottering on the edge of disaster.

If Swope were the guy, and he sounds like he'd fit nicely, we would still expect (or at least I would) a bit of a learning curve ala what Tate went through. Perhaps not as long, but he'll probably still take a season or two to really "get" it.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
sutz":iescdtka said:
If Swope were the guy, and he sounds like he'd fit nicely, we would still expect (or at least I would) a bit of a learning curve ala what Tate went through. Perhaps not as long, but he'll probably still take a season or two to really "get" it.
The impression I have is Swope is already a couple of years ahead of Tate in route-running simply because of his god-given talents in his lower body.

Watch the position drills from yesterday and watch the crispness of his cuts and his acceleration coming out of those cuts.

Tate will never achieve what Swope is already capable of in that regard.

And besides having blazing (4.34) straight-line speed, Swope appears to have fast-twitch quickness as well.

Used properly, he's a faster, bigger version of Wes Welker.

If the Hawks or the Packers don't grab him, the Patriots will.

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
Just watched some of his tape, and I love how competitive and fiery he is! Intangibles are a huge thing for me, and it looks like he's definitely got them!

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Saw that this morning, and my first thought was: Damn, kearly's got a good eye. My second thought was then, Damn, there's just about no way we steal him in the 4th anymore.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Im not really that impressed with him. If we could take him in the 4th, then ya....I'd be ok with it. I just don't see room to grow.

Latest posts