Combine Stock Watch

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Up
OT Terron Armstead- checked in at 6'5 306, 34.5 vert, and ran a 4.71 40yd
OT Lane Johnson- checked in at 6'6 303lbs and ran 4.72 40yd
TE Chris Gragg- checked in at 6'3 244lbs, 37.5in vert, and ran 4.50 40yd
TE Tyler Eiffert- checked in at 6'5 250lbs with 33 1/8 arms, 9 1/8 hands, 35.5 in vert, and ran a 4.68 40yd
TE Dion Sims-checked in at 6'5 262lbs with 33 1/8 arms, 10.5 hands, 35 in vert, and ran a 4.75 40yd

Down
TE Jordan Reed- checked in at 6'2 236lbs and ran a 4.78
TE Zach Ertz- 31 3/4 in arms and 30.5 in vert and ran 4.76

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
So Ertz has arms less than 1.6 inches shorter than Eifert and ran the 40 a tenth of a second slower and his stock is "down"? Lol like it matters how fast a 40 a TE runs.

The combine is funny.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":28dj2ekp said:
So Ertz has arms less than 1.6 inches shorter than Eifert and ran the 40 a tenth of a second slower and his stock is "down"? Lol like it matters how fast a 40 a TE runs.

The combine is funny.

You forgot to mention 5.5 less of vert. If you put 1.5 in arms + 5.5 vert= 7in and is exactly the reason why Eiffert locked himself in as the #1 TE and Ertz will now hope to be #2. Might be more that Eiffert seperated himself from Ertz than Ertz not doing well. I don't there is a 1a and 1b any more. Eiffert is #1 and Ertz is now fighting off others like Escobar, McDonald, Kelce, Gragg, Reed and Sims to be #2

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Meh. I don't get my panties in a bunch over the combine. Russell Wilson measured in "way too short to be a QB in the NFL" at the combine.

More important than measurables is system fit and coaching for these guys. Just because Ertz is the "#2 ranked TE" at the combine doesn't mean he isn't going to be good in the right offense.

But I'd rather have Eifert, I think. I do like his height and ability to go up and get a ball. He's really more of a TE/WR hybrid, almost - but he can still block.

I think he's long gone by #25.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Yea, no offense to the OP but put me down in the "don't give a rats ass about any of these numbers" camp.

If i'm a GM i go to the combine to do interviews and to look at medical reports. I dont pay attention to a single number.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Ertz's tape is better than Eifert's so there's always that.

I thought Jonathan Cooper and Lane Johnson really helped themselves today. Apart from that, all the tight ends were kind of 'meh' in the work outs. Thought D.J. Fluker looked like crap.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2v0gxjf3 said:
Yea, no offense to the OP but put me down in the "don't give a rats ass about any of these numbers" camp.

If i'm a GM i go to the combine to do interviews and to look at medical reports. I dont pay attention to a single number.

It shows preparation and dedication. You can do things to help your 40 and other measurables.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Numbers do mean something, when 2 guys are that close in a game of inches, having a 7 inches height/vertical advantage seems like a big deal to me. I'm not going to look at OT Armstead and claim he is no better than some of the top OT's but the NFL is kinda an odds game and guys with the Size, Speed, and athletic ability seem to have better odds succeeding that guys who don't. There are probably more undersized guys who don't make it than guys with immense athletic talent that bust. But that's not really the point and I think Football intelligence and the "it" factor can weigh in more than other factors as well.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Numbers do mean a lot when considering a players potential. Vernon Davis ran a 4.3 40 and iirc was taken 3rd over all.

Add to that, every time someone covers him, they remember that 4.3 speed and give him the under neath routes. So yes, they do make a difference.

two dog

Reaction score
"The race does not always go to the swift, nor the contest to the strong,
but that's the way the smart money bets".
Damon Runyon

kearly

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":362d0aix said:

The combine is funny.

I'm pretty sure it matters how fast the linebackers run. Pass rushers too. Bruce Irvin probably isn't the 15th overall pick last year if he hadn't posted a 4.43 unofficial.

The combine can open eyes, and can dispel mirages. Field speed is extremely tough to judge scientifically on tape. Having these speed drills is highly valuable for evaluators. And yes, it does matter how fast tight ends run. 8)

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'd add Kyle Long to the "Up" list.

I could see him as being a starting RT for the Hawks but we'd likely have to pull that trigger in the 3rd round.

He may not last that long but he sure would be a great upgrade over Breno.

Gunner

Reaction score
While I agree he's not the sort of WR we want as we already have guys like Tate and Baldwin that can play out the slot, Tavon Austin just ran a 4.25 (unofficially). Should be a lock for a 1st rounder now, but again, would rather have a more prototypical #1 wideout were we to go WR in Round 1.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
A couple of those guys were already rated pretty high. Armstead may get a bit overdrafted, though I would be happy if the Hawks picked him up mid-rounds.

Tavon Austin is one of the very best players in this draft. In my opinion, the potential FAR outweighs any risk with this type a player. Austin is a football player that will make an incredible impact on the game at the NFL level just as he did in college. I just hope it's not on a team that would affect the Seahawks hopes too much. No single player does that (...well), but there are players that add so very much to a team that it can tip the balance.

I watched a couple of Rutgers games to watch their premier WR, Brandon Coleman, and was sometimes more impressed with Mark Harrison. They're talking him up a bit at the combine (just that he looks the part.) He plays the part, too. Could be a good grab later in the draft.

(As many have said) DeAndre Hopkins does look good and what they say about his strong hands makes sense and would be an exciting pick for the Hawks. I did watch a number of his college games and know he's a player. I like how Justin Hunter audibly breathes as he catches the ball. I can think of many benefits for this... focus catching the ball, able to better take a simultaneous lick, etc. I'm impressed with that.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kearly":2ij6w47c said:
FlyingGreg":2ij6w47c said:

The combine is funny.

I'm pretty sure it matters how fast the linebackers run. Pass rushers too. Bruce Irvin probably isn't the 15th overall pick last year if he hadn't posted a 4.43 unofficial.

The combine can open eyes, and can dispel mirages. Field speed is extremely tough to judge scientifically on tape. Having these speed drills is highly valuable for evaluators. And yes, it does matter how fast tight ends run. 8)

So Zach Miller isn't a good tight end because he doesn't run fast?

:les:

My point is more about the degree of difference in the numbers. A tenth of a second slower in the 40 makes ZERO difference. None. It's just amusing to me how narrow the differences are and how excited people get about it.

Aaron Curry tested really well at the combine. Just as an example that hits close to home for us.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/2/23 ... been-teari

There's more to it than shuttle times.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
UP
WR Goodwin 5'9 but a 4.25 40yd (backed up his talk)
WR Austin 5'8 4.34 40yd (proved his speed)
WR Swope 4.34 40yd, 37in vert (much faster than expected)
WR Hunter 6'4 196 4.44 40yd, 39in vert
WR Patterson 6'2 216 4.42 40yd and 37in vert(size and speed should secure him as the top WR)
WR Mark Harrison 6'3 231lbs 4.46 40yd 38.5 in vert (size and speed, his stock is way up)

Down
WR Wheaton 5'11 4.45 40yd (undersized and slower than expected)
WR Da'Rick Rogers 6'2 217 4.52 40yd (didn't hurt himself much but others fast times probably moved him further down the WR Tier
WR Quinton Patton 6'0 204 4.53 40yd (smaller than expected and time was only ok, didn't help himself much)
WR Hopkins checked in at 6'1 214 much heavier than expected, ran a 4.57 which unless he can get under 4.5 at his pro day he will probably not be a 1st round pick anylonger

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
WR Chris Harper of Kansas State still intrigues me.

I like him in the 3rd round if we stay where we are... or in the first half of the fourth round if we can find a trade partner to move up in that range.

I'd be thrilled if we could snag Tyler Eifert in the 1st (I think that the kid is going to create some great mismatches), the best remaining DT in the 2nd and then Harper in the 3rd.

After that, I'd go for an OLB and Oline depth.