vance McDonald-TE 6-4 267lbs 34.38 arms 10.13 hands 4.69 40

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • It looks like the Hawks could get him 3rd or 4th round, but he has big time upside, I see value here for us to add another weapon for RW without wasting a 1st round pick. I like Tyler Eifert and would be stoked if we drafted him but I still want pass rush and defensive line and the first round seems like the best way to add top talent on the defensive line.

    http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/2/22/4016098/nfl-combine-2013-tight-end-height-weight-arm-length-measurements/in/3782875

    Too many drops needs to get better in this area but pretty strong blocker overall, looks to have the strength and size to play inline although they play him in the slot...


    Not a ton of video on him but makes a solid catch here to win the game at the 3:19 mark...


    Not alot on him but on the 3:14 mark he makes a nice high point catch in the endzone...
    sliv
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 264
    Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 pm


  • Poor man's Rob Gronk but not the same pass catcher. If he can fix his bobbling and dropping issues then he might end up being a steal.

    I would not mind drafting him in round 3-4 range.
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

    Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    User avatar
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1974
    Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:11 pm


  • His 40 came in at 4.67, while weighing 267 that pretty nuts.
    User avatar
    GCrow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 678
    Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:05 am
    Location: Canada


  • Is he Moore 2.0?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2168
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • GCrow wrote:His 40 came in at 4.67, while weighing 267 that pretty nuts.


    That's right. The athleticism is there without a doubt. In fact, his numbers are a lot identical to Rob Gronkowski's numbers.

    Rob Gronkowski
    Height:6'6"
    Weight:264 lbs.
    Arm Length:34 1/4 in.
    Hand Size:10 3/4 in.
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.68
    Bench press: 23 reps

    Vance McDonald
    Height:6'4"
    Weight:267 lbs.
    Arm Length:34 3/8 in.
    Hand Size:10 1/8 in.
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.69
    Bench press: 31 reps


    If PC can do what he did to Anthony McCoy when it comes to catching passes then he might end up being a steal. Really interesting prospect though
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

    Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    User avatar
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1974
    Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:11 pm


  • I am going to be surprised if Vance makes it out of the 2nd. I have thought getting him in the third to be unlikely since the Senior Bowl.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10595
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Scotte - how would you compare him to:
    TE - Chris Gragg, Arkansas 6-3 244 4.50 4.44 1.53 37.5 18 33.58 9.08

    Aaron Hernandez, is a comparable I've heard mentioned

    Kip's take: If you didn’t see him line up you would never know he’s a TE, looks like a WR. I am reasonably sure that he added weight the last couple months just to get up to 244- he didn’t play at that. Good blocker, great athlete. Seems like a player that is up our alley- teams might put the tweener label on him, but he did just run a 4.44 at 244 pounds, not many WRs can do that, let alone TEs. Seattle likes great athletes without defined positions

    GoHawks
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 454
    Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:49 pm


  • 4.69 was slower than Eifert and nowhere near worthy of the kind of hype this guy's been getting. He doesn't look comfortable catching a football. I'd pass, personally.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7926
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:4.69 was slower than Eifert and nowhere near worthy of the kind of hype this guy's been getting. He doesn't look comfortable catching a football. I'd pass, personally.


    Agree with this part. Gavin Escobar didn't have a great workout but he is the best pass catcher in this year's TE group in my opinion.
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

    Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    User avatar
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1974
    Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:11 pm


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:4.69 was slower than Eifert and nowhere near worthy of the kind of hype this guy's been getting. He doesn't look comfortable catching a football. I'd pass, personally.

    Not trying to pick a fight here, but his 4.69 was exactly .01 slower than Eifert. Hardly a big deal there, and as he is 15 pounds bigger, pretty amazing really. 4.69 from a man creeping up on 270 is good stuff. Clearly Eifert is the better player, but who said he wasn't? I don't understand the comparison, I would rather compare him to the group we have in Seattle already, and McDonald is an immediate upgrade to our tight ends. Like the OP mentioned, it would spare us using the 25 on a tight end too.

    As far as hype, He isn't often mentioned as one of the top 5 tight ends, so I can't say he is "hyped". Facts: He runs good routes and got separation on players at the Senior bowl, where he made some difficult catches look easy and some easy catches look hard. He has an 80" plus wingspan and 10 inch hands. I personally thought he had great body control for any tight end, let alone one that big, and he looks like an easy runner. Inevitable physical comparisons to Gronkowski is why I think he will go in the 2nd.

    BTW, Vance was miscast at Rice, playing him in the slot was a waste of resources, not to mention that that QB is a joke.
    Last edited by Scottemojo on Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10595
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:4.69 was slower than Eifert and nowhere near worthy of the kind of hype this guy's been getting. He doesn't look comfortable catching a football. I'd pass, personally.

    Not trying to pick a fight here, but his 4.69 was exactly .01 slower than Eifert. Hardly a big deal there, and as he is 15 pounds bigger, pretty amazing really. 4.69 from a man creeping up on 270 is good stuff.


    My point was that Eifert ran what was considered a pretty mediocre time and McDonald didn't beat it. Thirteen tight ends ran faster than Eifert in the previous three drafts. So even while he is bigger than Eifert, I don't see that time as 'amazing'. Bigger and 4.69 is still 4.69 for a guy who will be used mostly as a pass catcher. McDonald was a pure joker at Rice while at least Eifert had some orthodox blocking duties at ND (wasn't very good at them, mind).

    Lane Johnson also ran a 4.72 at 303lbs.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7926
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:4.69 was slower than Eifert and nowhere near worthy of the kind of hype this guy's been getting. He doesn't look comfortable catching a football. I'd pass, personally.

    Not trying to pick a fight here, but his 4.69 was exactly .01 slower than Eifert. Hardly a big deal there, and as he is 15 pounds bigger, pretty amazing really. 4.69 from a man creeping up on 270 is good stuff.


    My point was that Eifert ran what was considered a pretty mediocre time and McDonald didn't beat it. Thirteen tight ends ran faster than Eifert in the previous three drafts. So even while he is bigger than Eifert, I don't see that time as 'amazing'. Bigger and 4.69 is still 4.69 for a guy who will be used mostly as a pass catcher. McDonald was a pure joker at Rice while at least Eifert had some orthodox blocking duties at ND (wasn't very good at them, mind).

    Lane Johnson also ran a 4.72 at 303lbs.

    Lane Johnson was also a tight end in the past, and a QB. I adressed the joker part in my edit.

    Zach Miller ran a 4.72 and Seattle is paying him 11 million this year.
    Last edited by Scottemojo on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10595
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • GoHawks wrote:Scotte - how would you compare him to:
    TE - Chris Gragg, Arkansas 6-3 244 4.50 4.44 1.53 37.5 18 33.58 9.08

    Aaron Hernandez, is a comparable I've heard mentioned

    Kip's take: If you didn’t see him line up you would never know he’s a TE, looks like a WR. I am reasonably sure that he added weight the last couple months just to get up to 244- he didn’t play at that. Good blocker, great athlete. Seems like a player that is up our alley- teams might put the tweener label on him, but he did just run a 4.44 at 244 pounds, not many WRs can do that, let alone TEs. Seattle likes great athletes without defined positions


    Gragg is a different animal. H back for sure. And you are right, Seattle likes those types, but so far the ones we have drafted that size have been late round project guys like Konz.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10595
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • For a TE I would look at how he can disengage and his hands as well as his burst for 10 to 20 yds, after that it's all bonus money, you rarely ask a TE to get in a fly pattern, they just need to get off disengage and get to the seam quickly if it's an up field pattern. They also have to catch the ball with their hands and be able to use their body to block out a defender from the ball.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 9773
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Scottemojo wrote:Zach Miller ran a 4.72 and Seattle is paying him 11 million this year.


    Sure, but I think the Seahawks are looking for something different to compliment Miller. Just don't think McDonald did anything remarkable today and his tape was pretty mediocre.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7926
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:4.69 was slower than Eifert and nowhere near worthy of the kind of hype this guy's been getting. He doesn't look comfortable catching a football. I'd pass, personally.


    Im glad your not drafting for us....
    sliv
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 264
    Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 pm


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Zach Miller ran a 4.72 and Seattle is paying him 11 million this year.


    Sure, but I think the Seahawks are looking for something different to compliment Miller. Just don't think McDonald did anything remarkable today and his tape was pretty mediocre.


    If your basing your opinion off the little tape I posted about him on this thread I think thats lazy analysis. If your not and have more tape pleas post it because I included all the tape I could find.
    sliv
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 264
    Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 pm




It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:56 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests