My Expect The Unexpected Hawk Mock

Throwdown

Reaction score
Lets try and see if I can make one of these cool little mocks with videos n stuff.

Round 1 - Kewann Short, DT, Purdue. We need a constant presence at the 3-tech instead of these one trick guys like Branch & Jones (hurts to say that because I love what Jones brings).

[youtube]ji5LINpTBX0[/youtube]

Round 2 - Jordan Reed TE, Florida. For some reason, I'm still not sold on Miller, and I don't think he's worth that $11m he's about to get paid if he's on the roster for for the 2014 season, with how many young studs on our defense we surely want to retain, could Miller be a casualty?

[youtube]fPzEqCu9gf8[/youtube]
vs. T A&M

This is really the only extended video I can find of him on youtube, Reed looks like a pretty good blocker and from all accounts has pretty nice speed.

Round 3. Darius Slay CB, Miss State. One thing I've learned over the past 3 drafts of this regime, is expect the unexpected, Darius Slay would add some pretty stiff competition at nickle, maybe end up on the outside, thats totally dependent on Browner's future with the team.

[youtube]YzF4QF8W0sE[/youtube]
Based of his name alone and this video, I really want this guy. I'm sure someone in this forum will talk me off the ledge.

Round 4, Stansly Mponga, DE, TCU. Another dude I really like, I think if he became a Hawk, we might've found someone to compete with Irvin for Clemons spot as the starter, I'm not giving up on Irvin, but I think we need to look at other guys as a "just in case this doesn't work out like we hope" scenario.

[youtube]00OuOrDwUZo[/youtube]
vs. Kansas State, you can see him against a lot of runs and read options, you make your own analysis.

You make the picks for the last 3 rounds.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I can't get past "for some reason, I'm still not sold on Miller, and I don't think he's worth that $11m he's about to get paid".

:141847_bnono:

:34853_doh:

Miller is incredibly valuable to this offense, both from a blocking standpoint and now as a receiving threat once they figured out they can throw him more than 2 dump-offs every game. I agree he is expensive, but he's a cornerstone of the offense IMO. You see how this offense is evolving with him as a featured weapon. He had a monster game against the Falcons, all the while playing with a torn plantar fascia.

Alas, I wouldn't be surprised if they added a young, athletic TE to compete with McCoy, Morrah and McGrath. I'm not sure if that guy is Reed.

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
$11 Million though? You think thats worth it? I mean he could restructure. But with things as is, I don't think I'm that comfortable with that, but then again I don't run the team and if I did we'd probably be the worst team in history.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Throwdown":1xfmjq9h said:
$11 Million though? You think thats worth it? I mean he could restructure. But with things as is, I don't think I'm that comfortable with that, but then again I don't run the team and if I did we'd probably be the worst team in history.

It is a lot of money. I'm not sure it's worth it, but my angle is more from how much I think the team values him and that they will think he is worth it. They might restructure his deal... but they won't just release him outright, it would cost way too much and you lose a great player.

Miller and Rice are both very expensive, but they are are also very important. I could see them drafting a TE, but not as a replacement for Miller - just someone to strengthen the overall position.

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":c4mlr69z said:
Throwdown":c4mlr69z said:

It is a lot of money. I'm not sure it's worth it, but my angle is more from how much I think the team values him and that they will think he is worth it. They might restructure his deal... but they won't just release him outright, it would cost way too much and you lose a great player.

Miller and Rice are both very expensive, but they are are also very important. I could see them drafting a TE, but not as a replacement for Miller - just someone to strengthen the overall position.

That's a fair point.

McGruff

Reaction score
Throwdown":1mzrzeuz said:

It's a lot of mo ey, and he's probably not worth it. But we have plenty of cap, very few free agents, and little reason to dump salaries this year.

Incidentally, the mock itself isn't off the wall or outside the box at all.

sutz

Reaction score
The Schneider system seems to look at the depth chart just a little differently. Instead of a 'starter/backup' mentality, they seem to have a more 'now/future' way of looking at it. Yes, have great players now, but always have an eye on the future, because any player may only be here for another year or so.

I think of it as a college aligned mindset. Just assume that your roster is going to turn over 25% every year. Assume that for all position groups and players, regardless of talent level or value. Eventually even the best players are gone. Then, work like hell to prevent your best players from getting away and always keep looking for that next great guy to step up. Never assume that the guys that are here now will still be here after their current contract is up. Always keep drafting those guys that will push the current players to play better to retain their jobs.

Drafting a good, solid, even elite TE makes sense, regardless of Miller's future. Miller is a key asset and will almost certainly play here in 2011. Adding more playmaker ability at TE is never a bad idea.

McGruff

Reaction score
sutz":w1rryslq said:
The Schneider system seems to look at the depth chart just a little differently. Instead of a 'starter/backup' mentality, they seem to have a more 'now/future' way of looking at it. Yes, have great players now, but always have an eye on the future, because any player may only be here for another year or so.

I think of it as a college aligned mindset. Just assume that your roster is going to turn over 25% every year. Assume that for all position groups and players, regardless of talent level or value. Eventually even the best players are gone. Then, work like hell to prevent your best players from getting away and always keep looking for that next great guy to step up. Never assume that the guys that are here now will still be here after their current contract is up. Always keep drafting those guys that will push the current players to play better to retain their jobs.

Drafting a good, solid, even elite TE makes sense, regardless of Miller's future. Miller is a key asset and will almost certainly play here in 2011. Adding more playmaker ability at TE is never a bad idea.

Odds of Miller playing here in 2011 is 100%.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think Miller is extremely valuable but $11 mil is a lot. I think he will restructure before next season. It'd be nice if we could lower his cap hit t $8 or $9mil.

Your mock is fairy similar to the one I made in cover-2's post a few days back and the one Kearly put up. Looks like great minds think alike.

1. Kanwaan Short DT
2. Khaseem Green OLB (Brown)
3. Josh Reed TE (Escobar, McDonald)
3. Aaron Dobson WR (Hunter, Rogers, Woods, Bailey) *Projected Flynn Trade
4. Robert Alford CB
5. Corey Lemonier DE
5. Jon Bostic MLB *Curry Trade
6. Jordan Rodgers QB

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=65681

OP
OP
T

Throwdown

Reaction score
I swear I keep watching that Slay video, and I'm seeing a Seahawks CB, he wasn't even the top rated CB on that Mississippi State team, Jonathan Banks was.

getnasty

Reaction score
Good mock, i'd rather see a WR or LB in round 2 and 3 and maybe a CB and TE later based on need. I hope Zach is able to get out on routes more next year, if that happens i think we'll see a lot more production out of him in the pass game. I would rather keep Miller, draft a WR to replace Sidney. After this year Sidney is due to make 17.5 million and Miller is due to make 13 million i think.