Tyler Eifert, better than I thought he'd be

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • Won't do a full scouting report right now, but I avoided Eifert for months because almost every prospect that comes out of Notre Dame is over-rated and I decided to put Eifert on the shelf for later because of that.

Yesterday I watched some of his game compilations and I think he's clearly the #1 TE in the draft- which says a lot because I very much like Zach Ertz. Really, really good blocker and might be better than anyone in this draft (including WRs!) at getting at jump balls. He's tall, long, and jumps really high (on tape, at least). Really good athlete that's technically sound as well. Looks more like a really big WR than a TE, but still blocks very well despite that. Has very good hands which he typically extends to the football.

I should say it again for emphasis, Eifert is special as a jump ball target. He is gets "undefendably" high on his jumps, and that could make him a huge weapon in the redzone or on deep pass attempts. Seattle is looking for this type of feature- that's why they brought in Terrell Owens, Braylon Edwards and Evan Moore. And obviously, it is an area that is as of yet unresolved. And Eifert does this as well as anyone I've ever seen, and I don't just mean at tight end.

Still looking for a negatives on him, they aren't easy to spot. Hand strength could be better (DBs can knock the ball out of his hands), and his speed is hard to judge, looks fast some plays and slow on others. I think he's an H-back that's a good enough blocker to be used in rushing attempts, so there aren't any worries about his being on the field telegraphing run/pass. I'd consider him a good value at #25.

Ertz's stock is dropping right now because of measurables, but even before I heard about that I had Eifert higher. I think both are way ahead of the top tight end prospects from last year.

Last edited by kearly on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I think he'll be a good Red zone target, but I think he'll have problems getting separation from defenders in the nfl
    seahawks875
    NET Rookie

• Thanks for the write-up. I'm weary of Norte Dame players as well, but as long as he isn't a Notre Dame overrated middle linebacker I guess I won't cringe if the Seahawks draft him. If they do, hopefully we won't all regret it during the regular season.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• I've watched enough.

Eifert is Gronk-like in the mismatches he can create. He'd be an OC's dream.

He's very fluid in motion and he's deceptively fast, particularly out of his breaks. He's got quick hips like a WR. Don't see that at all in TEs.

This kid is a keeper. If he falls to the Hawks, I'd take him over Hopkins... seriously.
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• seahawks875 wrote:I think he'll be a good Red zone target, but I think he'll have problems getting separation from defenders in the nfl

He has problems getting separation in college, so yeah, I agree. This is true for all but a handful of TEs in the NFL though, and his incredible elevation skills make separation meaningless when the QB offers him a jump ball. Wilson really likes to throw jump balls. Watch a 2012 Wilson highlight reel and you'll see a bunch of big plays or touchdowns that forced his target to get up in the air.
    Last edited by kearly on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• onanygivensunday wrote:This kid is a keeper. If he falls to the Hawks, I'd take him over Hopkins... seriously.

The choice at #25 will not be an easy one this year, that's for sure.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Getting separation can often be helped along by astute offensive coordinators, if he can be shifted around formations to take advantage of mismatches, then coupled with his leaping ability, he could turn into a reliable target for Wilson, red zone or not.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• He def has the ability to snatch overthrown and jump balls out of the air over defenders and we need a guy like that for Wilson, but #25 is very high for us to take a TE with $11m already locked up in Miller. Not that i'd be upset but I wonder if Kelce, McDonald, Escobar, or Reed in the 2-4th would be better value
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

• I would take Ertz over Eiffert in a heart beat. Not sure if spending our 1st rounder on a TE is really the way to go though.
    CrimsonWazzu
    NET Starter

• Eifert is having a pretty good day at the combine as well, for what it's worth.
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• kearly wrote:
    seahawks875 wrote:I think he'll be a good Red zone target, but I think he'll have problems getting separation from defenders in the nfl

He has problems getting separation in college, so yeah, I agree. This is true for all but a handful of TEs in the NFL though, and his incredible elevation skills make separation meaningless when the QB offers him a jump ball. Wilson really likes to throw jump balls. Watch a 2012 Wilson highlight reel and you'll see a bunch of big plays or touchdowns that forced his target to get up in the air.

Kearly:
    I had Eifert as my top tight end in the tight end thread as well, and Kelce was my second. Who is better value, in your opinion? Eifert in the 1st or Kelce in the 3rd or 4 th round? I'd pick Kelce for value.
    aawolf
    NET Starter

• FortWorthSeahawk wrote:Eifert is having a pretty good day at the combine as well, for what it's worth.

Damn right.

His vertical was outstanding, WR-ish at 34.5', his long jump was solid (119") and his bench press was good as well (22).
    Last edited by onanygivensunday on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Really like Eifert, but can we get better value later in draft?

Kip - any insight on TE Chris Gragg of Arkansas? His Combine #'s are pretty impressive, 5th Rnd

Combine

GoHawks
    NET Starter

• Looks like a really impressive athlete in that video. Looks like a WR.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Don't we already have a reliable TE target for Wilson? This guy may be great, but it seems we have other more pressing needs.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• I think I'd rather get Cook or Keller in FA than spend a 1st round pick on a TE when we still have weaknesses on defense we must fix. That said, if a good option in FA isn't available then I wouldn't be against getting our TE early in the draft.

Anyone know if Titans or Jets are looking to keep those guys at all?
    "If the opportunity presents itself, we're going to come get you. You’re part of the family. You're part of us. You helped us start this thing." - John Schneider before releasing Michael Robinson
    Veilside
    NET Veteran

• Veilside wrote:Anyone know if Titans or Jets are looking to keep those guys at all?

Last I read is Keller will not be re-signed by the Jets and the Titans are trying to keep Cook.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:19 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information