The Bill Walsh Defensive Tackle

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Great Breakdown just reaffirms my strong feelings toward Richardson and makes me think we might have to resign Branch aso we don't reach on someone in the 1st that might not be an impact player.

Also makes me like Short less, i was projecting him as our 1st and I will stick with that for a while as he can make some things happen in an area of need, plus his value is a late 1st as well so it kinda fits. I'm not sure Richardson woudl be worth our 1st this year and next but It would probably that that to move from #25 to #12 and that jut doesn't seem like a JS type of move. Let's cross our finger Richardson pulls a hammy during his 40 time and his stock drops drastically.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I liked the article a lot but at least two and possibly the top three of these guys won't be around when the Hawks pick if they stay @ 25. To me it seems more realistic for a Seahawks draft blog to discuss the players that are realistically available to the team as Lotulelei, Floyd and Richardson are not going to be still on the board @ 25 unless they drop significantly. That said it is a great article and well written with lots of good information about the Bill Walsh style '3 tech DT' .

What about Hankins, Jesse Williams, Bennie Logan, Montari Hughes, and Akeem Spence who with Sylvester and Brandon Williams? Short and Hill or one of the 6 just mentioned appear to be more likely potential selections if the team chooses a 3 tech instead of a a big NT or two gap guy?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
jammerhawk":37bu18yb said:
I liked the article a lot but at least two and possibly the top three of these guys won't be around when the Hawks pick if they stay @ 25. To me it seems more realistic for a Seahawks draft blog to discuss the players that are realistically available to the team as Lotulelei, Floyd and Richardson are not going to be still on the board @ 25 unless they drop significantly. That said it is a great article and well written with lots of good information about the Bill Walsh style '3 tech DT' .

I mentioned them because a trade up might happen, and just wanted to cover my bases in that event.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1d1zhsay said:
What about Hankins, Jesse Williams, Bennie Logan, Montari Hughes, and Akeem Spence who with Sylvester and Brandon Williams? Short and Hill or one of the 6 just mentioned appear to be more likely potential selections if the team chooses a 3 tech instead of a a big NT or two gap guy?

Bennie Logan has awful tape, I don't think he'll go in the first round. Would love to be wrong, assuming it's not Seattle that takes him. Spence and Hughes will be mid rounders. THe article already went 3000 words without mentioning every 3 tech in the draft, I was trying to cover the usual suspects at #25 but also threw in Jordan Hill since I think he's one of the better mid-round guys.

Hankins, Jesse Williams are 1-techs. Hankins is pretty terrible even as a nose tackle. Very poor run defender despite his size. Jesse Williams is a solid player but not a pass rusher.

I like Jonathan Jenkins out of Georgia but not sure what position he'd play. Reminds me a lot of Red Bryant. Massive dude that plays like an ogre, but might not anchor well enough to be an NFL nose tackle.

chris98251

Reaction score
After reading all the Walsh information we can see how positions of need can be screened, thanks again for putting up that link Kearly. I would think we will sit back and see how the board falls, I have seen several draft mocks and it seems things can go a few different directions. Once the DT's start to go they will go in a bunch, it just will be when I think. As players move up and I say this in a way that tends to push lineman down as WR,QB'S CB'S, RB's get more attention. Also we are not looking for the Nose tackle type either that tends to go higher.

We could hope our coveted DT gets into trouble like Warren Sapp did and falls down the board, that would help a lot and I think Pete would still grab him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great article, thanks Kip. I remember reading the "Asterisk" article last year, (probably got the link from you) and getting so excited about Russell Wilson. My favorite quote though, and one that I think describes this front office to a "T" was:

"I believe there’s merit to the idea that once something in life becomes conventional, it’s no longer the safest path to success."

That's why Pete loves high upside, big potential picks like Bruce Irvin. You aren't going to win and dominate by playing it safe and pleasing the draft nextspurts.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
kearly":1wqqckhj said:
jammerhawk":1wqqckhj said:

Bennie Logan has awful tape, I don't think he'll go in the first round. Would love to be wrong, assuming it's not Seattle that takes him. Spence and Hughes will be mid rounders. THe article already went 3000 words without mentioning every 3 tech in the draft, I was trying to cover the usual suspects at #25 but also threw in Jordan Hill since I think he's one of the better mid-round guys.

Hankins, Jesse Williams are 1-techs. Hankins is pretty terrible even as a nose tackle. Very poor run defender despite his size. Jesse Williams is a solid player but not a pass rusher.

I like Jonathan Jenkins out of Georgia but not sure what position he'd play. Reminds me a lot of Red Bryant. Massive dude that plays like an ogre, but might not anchor well enough to be an NFL nose tackle.

Kearly I wasn't being at all negative about your article which I read and enjoyed, thinking that it was well written. I just don't genuinely expect any of Lotulelei, Floyd or Richardson to be available when we pick at 25. This raises value questions if Short or Sylvester Williams are available b/c several draft sites value them lower than 25th OA along with Brandon Williams who is ranked even lower. Value to the team however is relative to need and competitive fit relative to others available at the position.

I frankly really like Short but like him less than Richardson who I'd sprint to draft @25, after them, it's hard to know if Sylvester Williams isn't a reach at 25 and couldn't be had in the 2nd rd. as maybe could Short. Don't like the tape I've seen on Logan but he's also still pretty raw & undisciplined he also seems to be a dirty player with a good bit of after the play nonsense, but he penetrates. I don't like Hankins and think he doesn't play with good leverage on any regular basis and think he's overrated.

It's quite possible that the team will want to replace Branch's size with someone like Hughes or even Jon Jenkins and find a role type 3 tech to play the obvious passing downs. I agree Jenkins is an ogre but his size would be an interesting 2 down fit he's also very raw and would need to be coached up a lot to be able to play the role thought best appropriate for his size of NT but P&J don't much feel bound by conventions as far as size and maybe Jenkins amazingly good push would assist in breaking down the pocket as might Hughes.

Given how the team rotates the DLine I suspect if well coached up we'd see more of the penetration needed from Short than we'd see from any of the rest except Richardson and his better size might allow for more versatility.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Agreed, Lotulelei and Floyd aren't making it, and Richardson probably isn't either. But I wanted to cover my bases in case of a trade up. They make for good comparisons to the late 1st round guys too so you can see the degree of dropoff. I am reasonably sure that Short will go in the 16-32 range, if not he'll be very close. The Williamses seem a lot less likely, but I think they'll both be top 60 picks and could be in play in the first round given the unpredictability this year. Jordan Hill will probably come off the board sometime after the 3rd round.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2kzcnbxx said:
Agreed, Lotulelei and Floyd aren't making it, and Richardson probably isn't either. But I wanted to cover my bases in case of a trade up. They make for good comparisons to the late 1st round guys too so you can see the degree of dropoff. I am reasonably sure that Short will go in the 16-32 range, if not he'll be very close. The Williamses seem a lot less likely, but I think they'll both be top 60 picks and could be in play in the first round given the unpredictability this year. Jordan Hill will probably come off the board sometime after the 3rd round.
In my opinion, I don't see the Seahawks drafting in the upper third of the first round for several Seasons to come.
They're playing - just good enough -to be drafting AFTER the top selects are gone.
Knowing that, I wouldn't mind moving up with some hard trades to get some real play-maker Tackle, as I believe that it's going to take a bold move like that to solidify our D-Line.
And thanks, I really enjoyed the reading of the link you posted, as well as the comparrisons of the top end Tackles. :th2thumbs: