Because nobody would see it coming.

Sac

Reaction score
Montee Ball in round 1.

*This assumes we snag one of Melton, Starks, or Desmond Bryant in free agency.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle had a shot at a much better version of Montee Ball when they picked 25th in 2011, and passed on Mark Ingram.

We aren't getting Starks or Melton either. And probably not Bryant, if the Raiders are sensible.

Not even sure we draft a RB this year. Probably go the bargain bin route like last year with Lumpkin and Taua.

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
I'm sure, it was just a passing thought anyway. But I disagree on grabbing a 3tech in FA. It's a glaring need and one that isn't guaranteed we can fix in the draft.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think there will be too many quality options at positions of need to justify a running back in round 1. I do like him though.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Ball doesn't strike me as a huge upgrade to Turbin, and has many more miles on the odometer.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Even though I highly doubt your first round idea, I honestly would not be shocked if it happened in R2.

However...it wouldn't be Ball (who I think goes much, much lower than people think due to wear/tear). I think the guy they'd run to the podium (in R2) for is...

EDDIE LACY

As much as I like Turbin, he's not Lynch. Not even close. Turbin, IMO, plays like a 200 lb RB who has really nice burst and pretty good wiggle (catches the ball very well too). He can be physical but is only successful when he has a runway (ie a 5 yard cushion between him & a DB). I think Turbin can definitely be a starting RB in this league (and a good one), but he's not the tone setter that Lynch is. Lynch is a punisher. He epitomizes the Seahawks from the 1st carry and doesn't need a running start to make a defender "feel him."

I think Lynch has tread left, but he's definitely a candidate to have a significant drop off (when the time comes). Again, it's not that I don't think Turbin is a starting caliber RB, I just don't think he's what the Seahawks feed off. Eddie Lacy is that guy. The same can be said about SF with Frank Gore. LaMichael James is a really nice RB, but they are a different team when he is in there. Yes, he provides explosiveness, but over a 16 game season, it's the power guys who survive/thrive. And, SF & SEA are built on physicality, power, aggression, in your face, and both teams can be "summed up" by the fact they have very good young QBs, but still are centered around a power run game.

*I'm in no way advocating a R2 pick being used on a RB, but I do sincerely like Lacy (have like him since his limited carries Frosh year) and wouldn't be shocked if they did something like this, knowing that a Lynch type of runner is really hard to find, being since about 3 college programs actually successfully run a power game (Bama, LSU, Stanford) at a high level.

cdallan

Reaction score
kearly":16s8gkfq said:
Seattle had a shot at a much better version of Montee Ball when they picked 25th in 2011, and passed on Mark Ingram.

We aren't getting Starks or Melton either. And probably not Bryant, if the Raiders are sensible.

Not even sure we draft a RB this year. Probably go the bargain bin route like last year with Lumpkin and Taua.

Don't the Raiders have significant cap issues?

Plus, when have the Raiders ever been sensible?

cover-2

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Ball, I think a better option is Eddie Lacy for your scenario. Like Mtjhoyas mentioned Lacy is a better fit, runs with good power and has a patent spin move. No way Lacy will be available for us in the 2nd round, that is unless he falls to the top of the 2nd round and we traded up to get him.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Check out Latavius Murray. Big back. I almost posted this guys' name in another post asking for our favorite late round picks (so, not saying a 1st round pick here. Late round or UDFA. But, could be a gem.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2rUpbfsHgE I attended the SMU vs. UCF game this season and got to watch this guy run all over the field. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoWesK_820U Catches the ball out of the backfield well. "Big Play guy"