Mayock: Draft deep but not elite

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Mayock: Draft deep but not elite
Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:57 am
  • NFL Network's Mike Mayock said on the Rich Eisen Podcast that he believes the 2013 NFL Draft is as deep as it's ever been, but short on "explosive difference makers" at the top.
    "I think we've got more depth for the first three rounds than maybe anytime you and I have ever done the draft," Mayock told Eisen. "But I'm not seeing the difference makers at the top end. Every year, we've had a quarterback or a Von Miller. I'm not seeing the explosive difference makers at the top end of this draft and I'm not sure that the fifth pick is that much better than the 20th pick. Or the 30th pick. The good news is I think there's a lot of depth here. And there are a lot of really good football players."

I think most of us already knew this but...Good for us at 25 :)

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Re: Mayock: Draft deep but not elite
Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:14 am
  • I would agree with that. This draft seems to have far less potential offensive superstars than any I can remember. There aren't the stud QB's, RB's and WR's that you usually see. But it makes up for it with tons of talent in the trenches, thats for sure.
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 am

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:17 am
  • Reminds me a lot of the 2009 draft, which was very weak at the top but outstanding overall. After the top 10 picks, that draft was loaded with star players and all-pros. Back then, people thought that draft lacked elite talent. That draft produced one of the most impressive groups of pro-bowlers or all-pros seen in the last decade.

Right now, people are saying that the 2013 draft isn't elite, and based on the top 10 picks, that will probably hold up. But based on the first 3 rounds, you are going to see a LOT of star players. I've watched game footage on probably 50 players this year already, and I have never seen a draft with even close to this many unheralded studs.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:29 am
  • Wouldn't be so quick to write this class off, sure no true #1 QB or DE at the top but the O-Line talent this year is really stacked. I think the WR talent has a chance to be elite as well.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:35 am
  • I see an elite WR when I look at Cordarelle Patterson. If he's still sitting there in the teens I'm doing whatever it takes to go grab him.
    SuperHawks
    NET Starter

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:36 pm
  • Sounds like the kind of draft that Pete and Schneid can make some hay in.

:)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:47 pm
  • kearly wrote:
    Reminds me a lot of the 2009 draft, which was very weak at the top but outstanding overall. After the top 10 picks, that draft was loaded with star players and all-pros. Back then, people thought that draft lacked elite talent. That draft produced one of the most impressive groups of pro-bowlers or all-pros seen in the last decade.

Too bad we were picking 4th that year, another bad draft for the 1st rd for the Hawks.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:41 pm
  • Yeah, it's a shame we didn't just take Crabtree- could have walked out of that draft in pretty good shape.

Curry was an awful pick. But look on the bright side, we got two picks for him. The 7th rounder we got for him last year turned into JR Sweezy. Maybe that 5th rounder we get this year turns into the next Kam Chancellor or Richard Sherman, both of whom were added as result of trades.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:22 am
  • There's is that, which certainly lessened the sting yet Curry was a guy with some questions which were ignored and proved to be worse than anticipated. JMO but frankly @ 4 OA I thought Crabtree was overrated.

Assessing that draft the top ten were very weak.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:08 am
  • I wanted BJ Raji, Eugene Monroe, or Knowshon Moreno. I worked with a guy who went to HS with Crabtree and he could not stand the guy said he was into some bad stuff and I wanted to stay away.
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:28 am
  • I wanted Orakpo. Still do.

Back to OP, I absolutely agree with Mayock's assessment. Every year I get jacked up for the draft, and nearly every year (except 2010) I have been underwhelmed with Rd 1. I don't think that will be the case this year.
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:36 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information