Margus Hunt had a poor showing at the Senior Bowl

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Margus Hunt, DE, SMU - He's got a heck of a frame at 6-foot-8 and certainly looks the part, but he's raw and wasn't much of a factor in one-or-ones or the game.'

Really hope we stay away.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Not sure what to make of him. Tremendous upside, but pretty much as raw as you can get.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think he drops to early in the 3rd day or late in the 2nd, lots of potential but little actual developed skill.

knownone

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2c0ehuac said:
Margus Hunt, DE, SMU - He's got a heck of a frame at 6-foot-8 and certainly looks the part, but he's raw and wasn't much of a factor in one-or-ones or the game.'

Link??? It's pretty innocuous without a source.

HUGGY

Reaction score
The Senior Bowl and all bowls of this type are horrible gauges of how a player would fit into a TEAM. Hunt is still learning things that other athletes that began their football experience in Pee Wee's.

The guy reminds me a little of my own experience in "Little League Baseball". I never played organized baseball as a kid growing up on Orcas Island. Had no interest..never even watched a game. But I was AMAZING at throwing rocks which is what I did every day. I would pick up washed up beer bottles off of our beach and toss them way out away from our beach during an out going tide. Then I would throw rocks at the bottle neck maybe 100 or more feet from shore to sink them safely in deep water. I did that probably a thousand times or more from 7 yrs old up till 13. Well at ten years old I was at Lake forest park elementary my alternate grade school from the one in East Sound ..I went to both schools. So getting to the point there was this baseball pitching competition put on by one of the adult organizations..I forget..maybe the Lions Club. So what this competition was ...was a rectangular frame the size of a strike zone and kids would go up to these adults and sign up to take a shot at the pitching exersize. A girl I knew dared me to try it so I did. The end result prize if ya won the City pitch off was all expense paid trip to the Wold Series. I couldn't care less about the prize because like I said I never saw a game. Up on Orcas we didn't have electricity so a TV was not even an option.

OK after getting needled by the female brat I was at the line representing the pitchers mound. If ya threw 4 foul balls during the "Old Woody" game you were done and they counted up your strikes ..that was the score that counted. I started pitching and by the time I had pitched around thirty balls through the target with no "balls" the whole group of kids out on the lunch recess in the asphalt school playground had gathered around the tennis court where the competition was being held. Anyway I pitched 27 innings or 243 "strikes" before I threw 4 balls and "walked" an imaginary batter. I easily won that schools pitch-off and threw by far the most "strikes" in the city. They published the results in the Seattle Times. I won a new Mitt..for my efforts and an opportunity to go to Green Lake for the pitch off of the individual schools winners. I never went..My parents didn't care about baseball and just blew it off. I didn't care much at the time either.

Now here is how that little story relates to Hunt. The kids on the little league team saw me throw baseballs and took me to a game and forced the coach to let me play. I went out on the mound and was throwing a no hitter for three innings until one kid finally popped one of my screw balls straight up and the ball landed in front of me. I had nevr caught a Baseball with a mit so I didn't even consider catching the little pop up. But the ball rolled up to my feet and I picked it up. Everyone was yelling at me to THROW THE BALL!!!. I just stood there trying to figure out to where I was supposed to throw it. I actually did not know I was supposed to toss the ball to the first baseman. The coach thought I was retarded and pulled me from the game. Now... instead of all this adoration most everyone at the baseball park was mad at me. I didn't really care not ever having played baseball.

I was maybe the best kid in Seattle with a rock. Maybe one of the best with a baseball..if I knew where they wanted me to throw it.

I can relate to Hunts few miss Q's. I was by far the best pitcher in little league Seattle for a few minutes ...LOL.

Who knows how good I could have been if anyone would have taken any interest and taught me how the game of baseball is played before I was supposed to pitch for them in a game. LOL

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Huggy, how can you give that opinion on Hunt yet not feel that way about Ansah? Doesn't make any sense at all.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
knownone":wbjn62qg said:
T-Sizzle":wbjn62qg said:

Link??? It's pretty innocuous without a source.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013 ... ing_s.html

I have seen that said other places as well. It was even mentioned on Brock & Salk today because everyone last week was calling in saying "hunt at #25"..... so they talked about how he bombed.

pehawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3a1h2seg said:
Huggy, how can you give that opinion on Hunt yet not feel that way about Ansah? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Now I'm interested.

HUGGY

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":n0i4pi3j said:

I don't know the recievers history. I just have empathy for an athlete thrown into a situation because he posesses a handful of the skills needed and little or no knowledge of the game. The skills Hunt does not have yet are just the ones learned by every football player since they were just little tykes. If he can apply a few natural skills like blocking a kicked ball setting a record that has been reached for by thousands of players over the years. His FG and PAT blocks was not an accident of a fluke. If a normally developd DE of Hunts size and reach and vertical jump with his 280 weight was available to a team that could count on matbe 10 blocked FG's a year ..that player would be worth more than any other player on defense. A player like that would have a real good shot at blocking any FG over 40 yards because the trajectory would have to drop to get enough distance and a good DE should have at least a chance at a block. BUT Hunt blocked 7 PAT's also. That is insane. NOBODY blocks PAT's unless it is a bad snap or some problem with the kick sequence. Blocking a well snapped and held PAT is damn near impossible. At least some if not most of Hunt's PAT blocks were from well snapped ..held and kicked tries.

If I was a GM I would take him JUST because of situations that come up at the end of a close game where a 50% chance to block an opponents FG is realistic. That's winning half of the close games you would usually lose. That's probably advancing to the NFC title game instead of sitting at home. If THAT's all the guy can do I would scoop him in a heatbeat and teach him what he doesn't know with a full time tutor.. Next to Wilson he might become the biggest game changer in your teams arsenaul.. Just like a kid that when ten years old could take an object ...a baseball..and paint a strike zone like Michael Angelo ... and has no responsibility to catch this strange new projectile ...Just throw the "baseball" with unheard of precision. Only a fool would discard such a talent..

Latest posts