Ezekial Ansah sucked at Senior Bowl

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks he can't shed a block to save his life:

The NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah says BYU DL Ezekiel Ansah has split NFL evaluators after his performance in Mobile.

Some teams left Senior Bowl week worried about Ansah while others "are still bullish on the incredible upside of the BYU defender." Ziggy was asked to rush from the edge on one on ones and looked far more comfortable the final day of practice against the run, but he struggled all week to shed from blockers when pass rushing.

Source: NFL.com Jan 25 - 9:50 AM

lukerguy

Reaction score
I said this two weeks ago and almost everyone jumped all over me. I was mocked by one poster when I disagreed when he said we should waste a pick to TRADE UP for Ansah...yuck.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The Senior Bowl is not the end all, be all of college player scouting. I watched Ansah's play on tv and he can shed just fine. This guy is an athletic freak with natural instincts and once hegets some game experience, he will be a pro bowl caliber defensive player.

This guy can do it all, tackle tfls, sacks, tipped passes, INTs, and defend downfield. He is a much better prospect than Dion Jordan.

Id be jazzed if we got him in the first but my favorite is Sheldon Richardson. But don't be surprised if Brandon Williams creeps in to the first round and ends up in Seattle. The guy is quick, powerful, and versatile. AND, he is a 341 pound man that can walk on
his hands! That takes some power and balance!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIpo1xF7IhI

Edit: Ezekial Ansah http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYELG3ItAk

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Great news for the hawks.....hopefully he reaches our pick now. Of course he is going to need to be coached up....he's only going to get better with experience and coaching. He has a ton of room to grow compared to other players at the Senior Bowl, a lot of them are what they are.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Ansah doesn't have his next step planned on the football field. He is a run and react player, and got his ass handed to him in one on one drills. He reacts to being blocked by going soft, even turning his back to the guard who is blocking him. Like half of a stationary spin move, quite possibly the softest reaction to a block you can have. And it is the exact same thing you see in games.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
What supposedly happened at the Senior Bowl showed up on tape all year. You look at the guy's frame and see the potential to be a top pass rusher. Then you watch the tape and he doesn't rush the edge. People said JPP was raw. Well, JPP was on a different level completely to Ansah in that regard. He's pretty much going to have to learn that part of his game from scratch. He might need a red shirt year or two. The upside is huge but I wouldn't expect any immediate return. Not saying it's impossible but I wouldn't expect it.

And how old is he? I can't find that information.

pehawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3kqih9rb said:
What supposedly happened at the Senior Bowl showed up on tape all year. You look at the guy's frame and see the potential to be a top pass rusher. Then you watch the tape and he doesn't rush the edge. People said JPP was raw. Well, JPP was on a different level completely to Ansah in that regard. He's pretty much going to have to learn that part of his game from scratch. He might need a red shirt year or two. The upside is huge but I wouldn't expect any immediate return. Not saying it's impossible but I wouldn't expect it.And how old is he? I can't find that information.

That sounds like a Carp/Irvin type 1st rounder pick. Swing for the moon in the first, find contributers their after.

justafan

Reaction score
He needs a lot of work and a lot of coaching.He is fun to watch but I hate to think of this guy maintaining gap control against the Niners.
He lines up all over the line he has a ton of talent. I like the agility, change of direction, size, speed and puts out total effort.
I like the kid but I dont know if he will ever be a great football player.He isnt one now.

OP
OP
MLOhawks

MLOhawks

Reaction score
He did call himself a "delicate flower"... not exactly beast mode or Ray Lewis type of defenders I like ;(

kearly

Reaction score
Since we are all crapping on Ansah in here, I'll take it one step further and say that I don't even think his upside is all that high. We'll see what his combine measurements say, but his arms look like they are probably under 33". In a lot of ways, Ansah reminds me of Melvin Ingram last year. Shortish arms, athletic, versatile, he's the mystery box pass rusher in this draft. But I don't think he'll be all that good- or if he does figure it out it won't be for years.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I thought he looked good in the game. Tough with the one on one bull rush and a good inside move. The physical talent is there, though he does look like a guy going 100 mph all the time with little discipline. I think he has the upside, which would make him more attractive to Pete and Schneider. My biggest concern is I'm not sure he's a scheme fit. Where would he play?

garydrake425

Reaction score
I thought he didn't play to bad at all. I seen him cause pressure, release from his blocker and make the tackle, TFL, sack fumble, and a quick burst off the line. Not to bad for a guy that's just learning to play football and is so raw. Acouple others I seen causing some pressure are, DT93 Kawann Short, DT92 Sylvester Williams and DT97 Jordan Hill. This whole game was a trench battle.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Too many experts around here. It's funny to read some of the stuff certain guys say, without really understanding. If he "sucks" so bad, why was he named MVP? How did he manage a forced fumble, 1.5 sacks, 3 TFL, a pass breakup in his first game ever playing as an outside end? Was it because of his short arms? Come on.

This is the same shit we heard last year about Russell Wilson on the all-star game and combine weeks. Same. Exact. Crap. The guy goes out in games and dominates, and guys are saying his arms are too short, he doesn't know where he's going, etc.? It just sounds silly and like people want to be like Mel Kiper when they start nitpicking stupid made up stuff in hopes of being right.

Facts... Ziggy dominated in the game. Ziggy dominated in his senior season. Ziggy is one of the fastest defensive ends seen in the college game in years. Ziggy gets to the QB. Ziggy knocks down the ball. Ziggy creates pressure.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
:179422:
SharkHawk":39kj5z1o said:
Too many experts around here. It's funny to read some of the stuff certain guys say, without really understanding. If he "sucks" so bad, why was he named MVP? How did he manage a forced fumble, 1.5 sacks, 3 TFL, a pass breakup in his first game ever playing as an outside end? Was it because of his short arms? Come on.

This is the same shit we heard last year about Russell Wilson on the all-star game and combine weeks. Same. Exact. Crap. The guy goes out in games and dominates, and guys are saying his arms are too short, he doesn't know where he's going, etc.? It just sounds silly and like people want to be like Mel Kiper when they start nitpicking stupid made up stuff in hopes of being right.

Facts... Ziggy dominated in the game. Ziggy dominated in his senior season. Ziggy is one of the fastest defensive ends seen in the college game in years. Ziggy gets to the QB. Ziggy knocks down the ball. Ziggy creates pressure.

:13: ...but but but....in practice :141847_bnono:

The bottom line is a lot of these guys like to think they are right. It's just the Internet so I don't know why that matters so much to some. People were still defending their opinion on Flynn 10 weeks in.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
kearly":2v5cfv4r said:
Since we are all crapping on Ansah in here, I'll take it one step further and say that I don't even think his upside is all that high. We'll see what his combine measurements say, but his arms look like they are probably under 33". In a lot of ways, Ansah reminds me of Melvin Ingram last year. Shortish arms, athletic, versatile, he's the mystery box pass rusher in this draft. But I don't think he'll be all that good- or if he does figure it out it won't be for years.

Official Senior Bowl measurements - 34 5/8" arm length / 10" hands / 82-1/2" wingspan. Third longest arms at the Senior Bowl among Defensive Lineman behind Malliciah Goodman (35-7/8"), and Lavar Edwards (35-1/4"). Shortest armed defensive lineman was Sylvester Williams at 78-3/8". Seems he had the 6th longest arms of any player measured at the senior bowl.

FYI - Longest arms at the Senior Bowl? LB Jake Johnson from South Alabama at 39" (that must be a typo. Johnson is listed at barely over 6 feet tall....seems physically impossible. If the "39" is actually a "29", Ansah had the 5th longest arms at the senior bowl)

Ansah may have a number of issues, but arm length does not appear to be one of them

McGruff

Reaction score
Too much made of one week. If Ansah was a first round pick at the beginning of the week he's a first round pick at the end.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I would love Ansah in the first and Brandon Williams in the 2nd. I love DeAndre Hopkins, but we need some defense and Ansah would be all over the field and all over opposing offenses. He would be a difference maker on our defense and would "tilt the field."

Oh, and no thanks to Margus Hunt. Wow is he awkward. He might be Jared Allen good in 2 or 3 years, but not as a rookie.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SharkHawk":z44an6rq said:

He looked really good.
FWIW, I understand that scouts put pretty much zero stock in the actual game. Good thing, Russell didn't have a good senior bowl game. Quarterbcks throwing to new receivers with new playcalls, O-lines playing together for the first time, no blitzes allowed, tight ends not pass blocking...it's not a real game.

They care about practice, and how players take coaching. and that is going to be a matter of opinion, answered on draft day. I personally think Seattle won't have to pass on him, his tools are enough to make sure he is top 20, even if he looks like sushi on the field.

kearly

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":3ltjg42h said:
kearly":3ltjg42h said:

Official Senior Bowl measurements - 34 5/8" arm length / 10" hands / 82-1/2" wingspan. Third longest arms at the Senior Bowl among Defensive Lineman behind Malliciah Goodman (35-7/8"), and Lavar Edwards (35-1/4"). Shortest armed defensive lineman was Sylvester Williams at 78-3/8". Seems he had the 6th longest arms of any player measured at the senior bowl.

FYI - Longest arms at the Senior Bowl? LB Jake Johnson from South Alabama at 39" (that must be a typo. Johnson is listed at barely over 6 feet tall....seems physically impossible. If the "39" is actually a "29", Ansah had the 5th longest arms at the senior bowl)

Ansah may have a number of issues, but arm length does not appear to be one of them

Thank you. It must be how thick his upper body looked that threw me off. Where did you find those measurements btw? I looked a couple days ago for a full list and came up snake eyes.

Latest posts