Lets talk Geno Smith

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm a rube, know-nothing type...but I kind of like this dude. As someone spoke to in another thread he; stands tough in the pocket, makes the accurate throws, and IMO has no limit to his arm strength. But, I'm wondering what kearly's, English, Mojo's, Recon, etc's of the world think of him?

aawolf

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1n62yc6o said:
Well, I watch a lot of Big 12 football. Geno Smith worries me as a guy who is physically gifted, but makes stupid mistakes that could really hurt a team. He's a slightly more mobile Brandon Weeden. Not that I think that's a terrible thing or anything, I love Weeds. I just know that he was good for 2-3 'WTF' throws every game, and in the NFL that's killer. Geno smith has the physical tools to start right away, but not the mental tools in my opinion. he'll get easily confused and overwhelmed by NFL defenses and will turn the ball over a lot. WV had a great ofense that relied on speedy receivers and Tavon Austin owning everyone on defense. He won't have that in the NFL, he'll have to be able to read defenses and throw into tight windows and i just don't think he's ready to be able to do that yet.

He'll be taken in round 1 because of the position he plays, and eventually, given the right circumstances will make a decent starter in the NFL, but I don't think he has elite potential.

Judging only from the WVU clips of the Texas game that I saw in the Okafor thread and when I watched WVU in the Pinstripe Bowl, WVU's offensive line was not very good--Smith was under constant pressure and was skilled at getting the ball out quickly and accurately. That is, when he didn't take sacks leading to fumbles. I hear you about those costly mistakes, which were critical in the two games I mentioned. But, he's a balls-dead accurate passer and with time in the pocket, he'll be a good NFL QB in my opinion.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
If he goes to KC, with Andy, he'll flourish. That's a good team, plus Andy's the new QB guru.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I haven't been watching quarterbacks outside the senior bowl this year. Sorry.

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":btsmjuqc said:
If he goes to KC, with Andy, he'll flourish. That's a good team, plus Andy's the new QB guru.

McNabb, Kolb, Vick, Cousins . . . Not seeing a lot there for Andy to hang his hat on.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":6hqd3lnh said:
pehawk":6hqd3lnh said:

McNabb, Kolb, Vick, Cousins . . . Not seeing a lot there for Andy to hang his hat on.

You mean Foles? All of the above, maybe even Jeff Garcia as well, had they're best years under Andy. You disagree?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
McGruff":3blgqc0z said:
pehawk":3blgqc0z said:

First, Foles. Second, people line up to buy Andy's castoffs like they cure cancer. McNabb, Kolb...Stunk when Andy wasn't coaching them.

drrew

Reaction score
I really like EJ Manuel as a potential mid-round guy, especially if they plan to move Flynn. If the plan is to keep Flynn, I'd probably invest a 7th in somebody, but I wouldn't be upset if it didn't happen.

aawolf

Reaction score
pehawk":hg15ksh5 said:
I like Manuel too. Alot.
Now there's a good back up for a system that runs the read-option. He's dangerous with his arms and legs. That dude is athletic as they come. I've seen him play many times, and while his decision-making is questionable at times (like throwing into coverage or running too early or taking sacks he shouldn't), he's got the arm and the legs to rival any QB in the draft, and sitting behind Wilson will certainly improve his game. He also may have looked slightly better than he was at FSU, since his recievers were burners that would make any QB look good. I'd love for the Hawks to take him in the 3rd or 4th round if he falls that far.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think we have a Geno Smith on our roster right now.

Not Wilson, Josh Portis.

kearly

Reaction score
Haven't watched a ton of Smith this year, but he reminds me of Keith Price. Undersized, good QB skills (mechanics etc), and proficient in ideal settings. Like Price he's too quiet as a leader, and can be rattled and contribute to his team being blown out.

I'd probably give him a 2nd round grade right now, and if I needed a starter I wouldn't draft him. But just to cover my ass I'll say that he has everything he needs to be a great QB, just has to get tougher and maybe a better supporting cast.

One thing I'll say in his favor- I don't think his WRs are all that good. Yet they put up pretty crazy numbers at times this year. That's on Smith. When he's hot, he's RG3 good.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Gino Smith is 6'3 225 is undersized? Unlike Price he is accurate with a cannon for an arm, but slow (4.85 40). I respect your opinion Kearly, but not seeing the comparison here.

kearly

Reaction score
Listed at 6'2" most places. I always thought he looked taller though.

Not saying he's exactly like Price, just saying he has a lot of the same problems. But Smith is clearly more talented. Keith Price is a future backup, Geno Smith is a future starter.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Kind of an off the wall comparison but he kind of reminds me of Alex Smith when he first was coming into the league.

Not a GREAT athlete like an RG3 but a good enough athlete to surprise you and pick up good yards when needed. Can make all the throws but mostly is just a facilitator who puts the ball into his receivers hands then the receivers do most of the work. Solid player but doesnt show overpowering leadership.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":27x065ze said:
Kind of an off the wall comparison but he kind of reminds me of Alex Smith when he first was coming into the league.

Not a GREAT athlete like an RG3 but a good enough athlete to surprise you and pick up good yards when needed. Can make all the throws but mostly is just a facilitator who puts the ball into his receivers hands then the receivers do most of the work. Solid player but doesnt show overpowering leadership.

Not off the wall at all, a great one. Stupid Blazer fan....

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
pehawk":81odkm5x said:
JSeahawks":81odkm5x said:

Not off the wall at all, a great one. Stupid Blazer fan....

AND they both have the last name of smith :2:

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Duhh...they're related. Geno's just ashamed to admit it, because, well, you know, Alex is from Utah.