What would it take to get 2 first round picks?

NYCoug

Reaction score
So I've been kicking this idea around in my head. Basically, it's a scenario where Star Lotulelei or Sheldon Richardson falls on draft day. They're sitting there at 17 and the Steelers are on the clock. Behind them sits Dallas and the Giants, two teams that could use the help at DT and would consider getting either one of them at this point of the draft, a steal. If you're the Hawks, do you give the Steelers a call (aren't opposed to trading down), tell them to F off, and then proceed to work out a deal for the 17th pick in the draft to move up and select Lotulelei/Richardson? One or the other is probably already off the clock at this point so it's the remaining one or bust if you're looking for your DT who can make an early impact like this team needs through the draft. The team has 10 draft picks to work with, possibly 11 if you can/want to trade Matt Flynn, and can afford to make the move to get "their guy" ala the Falcons with Julio Jones and the Packers with Clay Matthews...

It doesn't end there though. Then I started thinking about how much I hate the idea of the 49ers ending up with DeAndre Hopkins. If Hopkins is still on the board at 29, I give the Patriots a call since they aren't opposed to trading down and try and get back into the first round to get Hopkins.

What would it cost us, in draft picks, to get this done? And would it be worth it if you ended up with Lotulelei/Richardson and Hopkins? Just some food for thought.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't know, but I do know that Hopkins to the 49ers would really suck. Makes sense, since the last time I wanted a WR this badly was Michael Crabtree.

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":cwrozq45 said:
I don't know, but I do know that Hopkins to the 49ers would really suck. Makes sense, since the last time I wanted a WR this badly was Michael Crabtree.

Ah, me too. Then I was laughed at by all the smart posters on dot-net, because the Hawks drafted the best LB to come out in over a decade, Aaron Curry. Then laughed at some more and more, told I didn't know football, Rotak got banned, then returned, etc.

But hey, whatchyagonnado?

Wasteland2112

Reaction score
I'd sign Melton in FA, then we grab Hopkins in RD1 and then let Quinn find a DT and DE somewhere in the next couple rounds.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Wasteland2112":26u6kffx said:
I'd sign Melton in FA, then we grab Hopkins in RD1 and then let Quinn find a DT and DE somewhere in the next couple rounds.

This

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
2 1st round picks? Have you seen the recent history of 1st round picks with this team? Trade out of the 1st round for all of a teams 4th-7th picks. :sarcasm_on:

OP
OP
N

NYCoug

Reaction score
We should just trade for 10 5th round picks. 10 5th round picks every year and we'll be the new dynasty of the NFL!

drdiags

Reaction score
pehawk":y41ftptx said:
kearly":y41ftptx said:

Ah, me too. Then I was laughed at by all the smart posters on dot-net, because the Hawks drafted the best LB to come out in over a decade, Aaron Curry. Then laughed at some more and more, told I didn't know football, Rotak got banned, then returned, etc.

But hey, whatchyagonnado?

There was a big push from folks for a QB. At the time, others were trying to wrap their heads around picking Curry. I wanted Crabtree but with the Housh signing figured Ruskell wasn't going to do it. Still when it was asked, that was my pick.

Maybe we should archive a thread each year on who folks want so we can look back at what the mood was for the board? I know I was against the Branch trade but I continue to see posts from folks claiming they were the only ones against it. No way to disprove since threads from back then aren't archived. Or maybe it doesn't count unless you are one of top men (LOL!).

pehawk

Reaction score
I got your back doc, for some reason years of abuse hasn't touched my memory. My memory's sharper than the intuition telling you the mail's arrived.

I wanted Sanchez too, but just to flip to the Jets.

I was also stupid for saying Brian Russell was exactly what he is, a hack. Doug deleted it because I was writing for the site, and it made them look bad, me not saying Russell was a good safety. That and saying Eli was going to have multiple rings (also deleted to save me embarrassment).

drdiags

Reaction score
pehawk":1c0c6fvs said:
I got your back doc, for some reason years of abuse hasn't touched my memory. My memory's sharper than the intuition telling you the mail's arrived.

I wanted Sanchez too, but just to flip to the Jets.

I was also stupid for saying Brian Russell was exactly what he is, a hack. Doug deleted it because I was writing for the site, and it made them look bad, me not saying Russell was a good safety. That and saying Eli was going to have multiple rings (also deleted to save me embarrassment).

Yeah, Eli was not looked upon with much respect back in the day during his early struggles. That's the danger in getting dug in on calling a guy's future. There definitely was no love for Eli from some around here. That is why I steer clear on trying to label these young QBs. People may have called Vick correctly but the ridicule of Eli should be an example of how a player can evolve.

pehawk

Reaction score
I went the opposite direction. I had no problem telling anyone that Russell's Eli as far as the "winning" trait, only more refined with his skillz, in the preseason.

Trust your gut.

drdiags

Reaction score
pehawk":sruvnygs said:
I went the opposite direction. I had no problem telling anyone that Russell's Eli as far as the "winning" trait, only more refined with his skillz, in the preseason.

Trust your gut.

The overwhelming positive reaction by a ton of posters I have respect for was shocking to me after the preseason performance of Wilson. Many put their feelings on the line regarding him. Same as the idea that this team was a Superbowl contender. My hats off to you all. My hope is that Wilson is the real deal. I saw things from him I only saw from the big time QBs. The Patriots game was the eye-opener to me. I just figured the game was over entering the 4th Quarter, only to see Wilson actually hit Rice in the endzone.

My mouth hit the floor. I wasn't a hater or doubter, I just figured he would be okay but not magical. Looking forward to his second run through the league and beyond.

CW tells me that it will take 2 more tries for this team to make it to the big dance. Looking at a team like the Ravens or even the 9ers. The Seahawks almost made the step in less time than most expected. By missing out, they get to slug it out with the other contenders and will need to travel that dangerous path where unknown/uncontrollable circumstances can derail anyone.

On-Topic: Would love to see the Seahawks have access to 2 first round picks but wonder what the cost would be?

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I wanted Eugene Monroe, after the Chiefs passed on Curry I was stoked to get him (falling for the draft hype). I still can't believe how he didn't work out, crazy, big bust. Trading that 2nd rounder for Earl Thomas makes up for it though.

I hope the 49ers don't get Hopkins! That would piss me off, I think they might go for a TE if Walker leaves over Hopkins.

Very risky trading too much to go all in on one draft unless your gunning for a QB. Just be patient and add the best talent fall to you I say.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I would Just worry more about getting Hopkins and forget moving up for a DT. I think we are going to fill that need in FA anyway.

On hijack topic, I too wanted Crabtree badly.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
The Packers made a similar trade that season for Mathews but were picking early and traded back into the first for Clay.

Same draft they ended up with the crappy TJ Lang.

JKent82

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3p7zrrvw said:
2 1st round picks? Have you seen the recent history of 1st round picks with this team? Trade out of the 1st round for all of a teams 4th-7th picks. :sarcasm_on:

Have you seen our recent drafts when we have two first round picks?

We're pretty good at those. So hah!

I think we might be able to trade into the first again, but it'd be really tough to trade up with one and then trade into the first again. lots of capital to give up. I could see moving back with the first and moving up with our 2nd+package into the first maybe. Really doubt we'd do it. I'd love to have a couple 2nd round picks though.

On the OT 2009 draft: BJ Raji. I've wanted a darn DT for like 8 drafts in a row. BJ hasn't been all that much though.