Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:08 pm
  • He's listed as 6'2" 195 but measurements this week have him at 6 even. Said to have a wingspan that rivals any WR in the draft, though. He has some great quickness, but not exactly the fastest from what I have seen of him. He hasn't played against the best talent but when he has, he lights it up. Against Texas A&M he had 21 receptions for 233 yards and TDs.

    [YouTube]htOC2hKV7iM [/YouTube]
    (can someone post his highlights if this doesn't work. Trying to figure it out on my phone)

    Lots of posts on Twitter about him standing out and looking really good out there on day 2 of practices. That got me to look him up and his highlight reel intrigued me the most. Now I have never evaluated players in the past or even paid too much attention to players before the draft, but PC and JS have me getting excited about every facet of football.

    What do you guys know about him? Where would he likely go in the draft? How does he compare to the upper tier WRs?
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:43 pm
  • I really like Patton.

    Last year, he gave Johnthan Banks a run for his money. Blew it up again this season and is definitely an interesting prospect. I think he's a mid to late 2nd rounder come draft day but could be there in the 3rd. He has less red flags than some of the other 2nd rounders (Hunter, Woods) and I think is just lost in the shuffle atm.

    There's some good articles out there about him. Apparently he has quite the work ethic, is an unquestioned leader type, and has not only produced but improved every season.

    From what I've seen, his route running and ability to separate makes him very appealing. Not top notch speed but is NFL caliber regardless.
    User avatar
    ruca
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 6
    Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:51 am


Re: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:02 pm
  • User avatar
    12evanf
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2611
    Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 am


Re: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:05 pm
  • Patton's an intriguing guy. He put up some monster numbers at Louisiana Tech, somewhat taking advantage of a weak schedule, but also playing well against top talent.

    My opinion, I think Patton fits directly in the Second-tier with a lot of other good receivers, so while he may deserve to go round 2 this year, he might also fall into the 3rd rd (It's a draft where many receivers equal in talent will get drafted at different spots, based on a teams preference of the position).

    He never looked the 6' 2" it was said, but he plays big for his size and is not afraid of contact in either blocking or over the middle. He's a very complete player. His strengths are probably his ability to get open in his routes. He has a quickness to everything he does. I think he'll post a solid 40 time, but he won't surprise anybody with his straight speed.

    I've read NFL player comparisons would be Brandon Lloyd, which i agree with. As for Tier-1 comparisons, I'd compare him to DeAndre Hopkins, but lacking the catching ability Hopkins has.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    User avatar
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2064
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


Re: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:21 pm
  • Recon_Hawk wrote:Patton's an intriguing guy. He put up some monster numbers at Louisiana Tech, somewhat taking advantage of a weak schedule, but also playing well against top talent.

    My opinion, I think Patton fits directly in the Second-tier with a lot of other good receivers, so while he may deserve to go round 2 this year, he might also fall into the 3rd rd (It's a draft where many receivers equal in talent will get drafted at different spots, based on a teams preference of the position).

    He never looked the 6' 2" it was said, but he plays big for his size and is not afraid of contact in either blocking or over the middle. He's a very complete player. His strengths are probably his ability to get open in his routes. He has a quickness to everything he does. I think he'll post a solid 40 time, but he won't surprise anybody with his straight speed.

    I've read NFL player comparisons would be Brandon Lloyd, which i agree with. As for Tier-1 comparisons, I'd compare him to DeAndre Hopkins, but lacking the catching ability Hopkins has.

    I've heard Brandon Lloyd as well. An interesting one was someone saying he's like a younger Greg Jennings. Huge praise there.
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:31 pm
  • The WR class this year is pretty unreal. And I'd bet JS was fully aware of that this time last year. It's going to be a lot of fun watching the Seahawks pluck two WRs out of this draft class.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10912
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 pm
  • kearly wrote:The WR class this year is pretty unreal. And I'd bet JS was fully aware of that this time last year. It's going to be a lot of fun watching the Seahawks pluck two WRs out of this draft class.

    I'd love to hear your assessment of Patton, Kearly.
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:39 pm
  • oh my goodness..This kid is unbelievable. He NEVER catches it with his body. Even on the deep balls he catches it with two hands. DOes he really have 4.40 speed?
    Image

    "We all we got, we all we need"
    User avatar
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1437
    Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 pm


Re: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 pm
  • lukerguy wrote:oh my goodness..This kid is unbelievable. He NEVER catches it with his body. Even on the deep balls he catches it with two hands. DOes he really have 4.40 speed?

    Yeah that's what most are saying. Doesn't have breakaway straight line speed, but as you can see, he has some nice moves and just knows how to get open.

    Funny you talk about his hands catching. A lot of scouts raved about that today.
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:47 pm
  • "@LATechPWalsh: Louisiana Tech's Quinton Patton (@4_Turnt_Up) named the Most Outstanding Receiver at the Senior Bowl Banquet #WeAreLATech"
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:50 am
  • Amazing hands and would be awesome to see him Seattle.
    2013-2014 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1320
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum


Re: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:49 am
  • I agree 100% on picking two receivers in this draft. While I don't think this draft is loaded with Calvin Johnson's. I do like the depth of this receiver class. I'm a big fan of Patton and T.King from UGA.
    I would rather have an army of Dogs led by a Pug than an army of Pugs led by a Dog. ~Napoleon
    User avatar
    pugs1
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 478
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:41 pm
    Location: Jackson, Mississippi


Re: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:45 am
  • Love his quick feet to beat press coverage and to also elude the first tackler on WR screens.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

    your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    User avatar
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3085
    Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 am




It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:12 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online