Datone Jones DT/DE 6'4" 280lb combo 3 teq and 5 teq

sliv

Reaction score
He made some noise yesterday at the Senior bowl practice I'm sure you all saw the recap or read about it. Jones also had a great year playing DT and DE for UCLA. This guy could be an option to take over for Red and hold down the 5 teq against the run and add a better pass rush a the same time. He could also slide inside on passing downs. Good or bad what do you all think I just found out about him yesterday...............any UCLA fans????

[youtube]JOic2NiRkj0[/youtube]

[youtube]O8IB-0TktD8[/youtube]

[youtube]8w0mKUGNuWk[/youtube]

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/04/sports/la-sp-1005-datone-jones-ucla-20111005Gotta get to work but found this article about him looks like a hard worker who has been raised the right way.... Will look for more info when I get home.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hahaha, I just came on here to make a post about him. Watching him right now in Senior Bowl practice. I was just thinking he could play Red's position and add some pass rush, but with his bulk would still be good against the run.

kearly

Reaction score
Nothing against Datone, but is it just me or is this draft especially devoid of DTs with explosiveness? I want to say that in an average draft you could probably find 3 or 4 explosive DTs. I'm not even sure Richardson is one but he'd come the closest.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Datone looked really explosive yesterday as did Kawaan Short. Sylvester Williams got one good rush and that Williams kid from the small school looks like some kind of freak. 341 pounds and moves like he's 303.

OP
OP
S

sliv

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1xxz54v5 said:
Hahaha, I just came on here to make a post about him. Watching him right now in Senior Bowl practice. I was just thinking he could play Red's position and add some pass rush, but with his bulk would still be good against the run.

Yah like why can't our extra pass rush come from the 5 teq. We got plenty of Leo options Bruce, Osi on a 1 year deal until Clem comes back, we can even look for a project Leo in the draft. But with this guy we could try him at reds spot and DT in passing situations next to Jason Jones if we resign him. We should keep an eye on him.

OP
OP
S

sliv

Reaction score
kearly":1vvfi4v0 said:
Nothing against Datone, but is it just me or is this draft especially devoid of DTs with explosiveness? I want to say that in an average draft you could probably find 3 or 4 explosive DTs. I'm not even sure Richardson is one but he'd come the closest.

We maybe should keep an open mind with this guy bro....... He did good yesterday then I watch part of practice today and Mike and Charles were gushing over OT Eric Fisher ( with good reason he was looking like Walter Jones out there). Eric Fisher had just dominated Alex okafor two times in a row they were talking about how Fisher was pitching a shut out and then Datone lines up next to him and just destroys him with an inside move, lines up again and bull rushes him five yards back not as obvious as the first time but Fisher didn't stone him like he was with everyone else, it was cool.

As far as being explosive he was an unofficial 4.7 at 6'4" 245lbs in 2008 as a Senior in highschool.
http://ucla.scout.com/a.z?s=12&p=8&c=1&nid=2998157
If he puts up good combine numbers at 6'4" 280lbs he may go before 25th overall because it's not like he didn't have good production against top competition. This could be one of those guys where NFL teams have him rated high but the internet scouts like kiper are late to the party then closer to the draft when they get a better idea of teams boards call him a late riser. ... Thats just pure speculation but Datone Jones is an interesting prospect for sure and we should keep track of him over the next few months..............
So far seems like a self starter hard worker type, which is always awesome when the prospect also has talent. Anyway for anybody interested, this video just gives a brief look at his work ethic, head strength coach talks him up too....
[youtube]X3RgCwncY4I[/youtube]

His stats
http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jones_datone00.html

Dude moves pretty good for a 280lber......... Look at him catching a TD pass![youtube]foVUHStJDY4[/youtube]

ivotuk

Reaction score
Watching the senior bowl practices on dvr and starting to really love Datone. He's quick off the ball and head good hands. Jones its also studying martial arts.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
ivotuk":1g2k6tie said:
Watching the senior bowl practices on dvr and starting to really love Datone. He's quick off the ball and head good hands. Jones its also studying martial arts.

You can tell he studied martial arts. he aims his use of violent hands and uses his core rather than swinging like so many defensive linemen.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Could be a first or second round pick.

Watched some tape yesterday after hearing things at the Senior Bowl. Can be an effective three-technique. Needs to learn to finish but he's incredibly disruptive. Looks like he's only scratching the surface of his potential.

And Pete Carroll recruited him.

McGruff

Reaction score
Watching games right now . . . This year Jones played mainly 5-tech in UCLA's 3-4' but did shift to nose on occasion.

He's got great snap anticipation and first step.

Fights through blocks with agility and hands.

Makes plays off of blocks.

Hi energy, throu the whistle defender. He doesn't quit on plays.

Makes a lot of plays In the backfield that won't show up on a stat sheet.

Is not a hold the edge defender like Red. Cannot hold ground vs. double teams.

Is not good coming off the edge. Is a better player in traffic than in space.

Ends up on the ground more than he should.

Penetrating defender who has a tendency to overshoot the action.

He does seem to get worn down quite a bit as the game goes on, which is expected for someone who works as hard as he does on the field.

He's not Red Bryant. he won't do the things Red can do anchoring the line, which is the primary job of the 5 tech in Pete's defense. But he does things Red can't. He's a better pass rusher and is more disruptive in the backfield, and while he isn't solid against double teams, he can beat them with his agility and snap anticipation.

McGruff

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3jvlrylx said:

Watched some tape yesterday after hearing things at the Senior Bowl. Can be an effective three-technique. Needs to learn to finish but he's incredibly disruptive. Looks like he's only scratching the surface of his potential.

He seems like as guy our team would like. Can play inside or out depending on down and distance. As an end he's better when covered by the TE, which is rare, and makes me think he could be a good interior pass rusher. But I don't think he can put on the addition 20-30 pounds needed to be an every down 3-tech. He seems pretty maxed out as far as bulk goes.

And what is the deal with Pete? He seems to hate the guys he got at USC, and love the guys he missed . . .

OP
OP
S

sliv

Reaction score
McGruff":3clj1lty said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3clj1lty said:

He seems like as guy our team would like. Can play inside or out depending on down and distance. As an end he's better when covered by the TE, which is rare, and makes me think he could be a good interior pass rusher. But I don't think he can put on the addition 20-30 pounds needed to be an every down 3-tech. He seems pretty maxed out as far as bulk goes.

And what is the deal with Pete? He seems to hate the guys he got at USC, and love the guys he missed . . .

Most of those 300lbers have a spare tire .. dude pretty cut at 6'4" 280 besides weight is not the end all be all its strength, power, technique and leverage, besides Henry Melton came out at 269 and 4 years later is at 295. I could see Datone Jones at 295 while mainting his quickness.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/risersandfallers
After an impressive practice Monday, Jones kept the momentum going Tuesday, standing out as one of the best defensive stars on the North squad. He is very strong from head to toe and does a nice job using his powerful arms and hands to rip past blockers. He wasn't overly productive as a pass rusher at UCLA, largely due to the fact that he was moved all over the Bruins' hybrd 3-4 scheme, but he did record 19 tackles for loss as a senior with his impressive blend of burst and power to dispose of blockers at the point of attack. Jones is a name that will start to appear in first round mock drafts moving forward.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Datone Jones DT 6-4 280 4.82-40
Alex Okafor DE 6-5 261 4.67-40

9ers - Justin Smith DT 6-4 267lb 4.64-40

ivotuk

Reaction score
The more I learn about this kid, the more I love him. He has the drive to get better, and I believe, to become great. His work in the Senior Bowl has really gotten my attention, but I din't know how to put what I saw in to words. Fortunately, someone has done so for me. I couldn't agree more with this guys scouting report.

""For teams that don’t run a 3-4, I believe Jones could do well as an undertackle that can penetrate and make plays in the backfield. He might be a bit undersized, but if paired with a good nose tackle that can draw centers on double teams and give him one-on-ones with a guard, I believe Jones can win a lot of those battles with his speed and quick hands. Regardless of where he goes, as long as he packs on some more muscle, I believe he will be successful. He’s already a good player, but in a few years he may well be a great player."

[url=http://www.battleredblog.com/...w.battleredblog.com/2013/1/22/ ... tone-jones[/url]

kearly

Reaction score
I'm not at all a fan, but if Seattle drafted him, I'd trust their judgement. Better to take a raw 3-tech with a chance to be special than take a guy who we know is just going to be another Alan Branch.

It'd be cool if they waited until after the first few rounds to make a move like that though.

McGruff

Reaction score
I'd do it just for the name.

Datone Jones? C'mon, that just screams NFL Films.

OP
OP
S

sliv

Reaction score
kearly":2fz5g6n5 said:
I'm not at all a fan, but if Seattle drafted him, I'd trust their judgement. Better to take a raw 3-tech with a chance to be special than take a guy who we know is just going to be another Alan Branch.

It'd be cool if they waited until after the first few rounds to make a move like that though.

Your not getting him in the 3rd round, thats my feeling anyway.

OP
OP
S

sliv

Reaction score
Datone Jones is having a great Senior Bowl so far.....

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Combine could be huge for him. Running in the 4.7's would all be lock him into the 1st round consideration. 4.8 and he might be called a reach at #25. I think he might be a great fit for us but at the same time is he not similar to what Scruggs is and we do have Jaye Howard as a 290lb DT. It think resigining Branch or J.Jones will be a tsign of the direction we go with DT/DE in the early rounds of the draft.

If we could resign Branch and bring ina guy like Seymore we can go TE/WR/LB or whatever in the 1st round.