WR Cordarrelle Patterson is pretty damn good

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • Watching this highlight reel, with a solid combine.. I don't know how he slips to 25.. but wow would I love to have this kid.

His PR vs. Vandy :shock:

February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I want him or Ziggy in round 1.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• You think he could get open when Russell is scramblin' around?! =)
    bigdaddydave
    NET Rookie

• bigdaddydave wrote:You think he could get open when Russell is scramblin' around?! =)

I was really high on Patterson, and I still am, I think he could be a great player in the national football league, but I think there's another receiver in this draft that would give us a bigger instant impact. I think Patterson's raw, and hasn't got the football smarts of a guy like DeAndre Hopkins.

Hopkins doesn't have the size or pace of Patterson but I watch his tape and he knows how to find space, and that's huge, think Largent!

Watch the tapes of Allen and Patterson and you'll see they make a lot of their catches (albeit spectacular ones) in traffic, of course there are the exceptions, especially with Patterson (though it's largely due to his pace, not his route running).

Now watch Hopkins. He too, without offering the height of Allen or Patterson, can make some great catches in traffic. But also notice how often he is open, I lost count of how often I heard "Wide open, DeAndre Hopkins" watching his tape.

He displays a greater ability to consistently get open, and that's something that would be very valuable to a QB who's taught to take care of the ball; and as a result of the receivers' struggles to get open this year, has either scrambled, thrown it away or taken sacks.

It would make much more sense to take Hopkins than Patterson, imo. I'm not saying Patterson's necessarily a project, I just don't think he's as ready as Hopkins, and although he's the kind of guy you'd look to supersede Sidney, I'd rather we drafted for immediate impact, especially in the first/early second.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Starter

• With Wilson, I want the most polished guy there when picking a WR since it took about 3 full seasons for Tate to arrive. I like Hopkins the most, he isn't exactly a small guy but just seems like one of those reliable WR that can get open regularly. I don't know if about the rest of them, a Torrey Smith type would be nice but I don't know who the speedsters are this season.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• 12th_Bob wrote:With Wilson, I want the most polished guy there when picking a WR since it took about 3 full seasons for Tate to arrive. I like Hopkins the most, he isn't exactly a small guy but just seems like one of those reliable WR that can get open regularly. I don't know if about the rest of them, a Torrey Smith type would be nice but I don't know who the speedsters are this season.

+1 My favorites are Ezekial Ansah, Sheldon Richardson and DeAndre Hopkins, in that order.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• 12th_Bob wrote:With Wilson, I want the most polished guy there when picking a WR since it took about 3 full seasons for Tate to arrive. I like Hopkins the most, he isn't exactly a small guy but just seems like one of those reliable WR that can get open regularly.

I agree with this. If Hopkins turns out to be able to compensate well for a moving QB, his workaholic reputation and reliability seems like the best help for this offense.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• I see a little Roddy White in Hopkins.. he would not be a bad pick either.

I honestly don't think Patterson will be there at 25 after all the workouts get going. Kid is an athletic dynamo.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I would love Hopkins. Not, like, in a Biblical sense...but we could really use a young stud like that for the offense.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• I want Hopkins and Wheaton, dont know how we get both or either but I want them. Thier ability to create seperation and high point ability sets them apart from many other recievers.
    "Go Hawks" Russlemainia
    Adopt a Rookie - Jackson Jeffcoat
    SeaHawk80
    NET Rookie

• I don't know if a guy at the top is worth a blockbuster deal. But, I'd trade a couple of mid round picks to move up 8 spots or so to ensure getting Hopkins. I see a lot of Reggie Wayne in him.

I don't think Star L. falls, too much potential. I can see Patterson going really high as well. The success of guys like Harvin and Cobb shows that freak athletes can make an impact early even if they're not too polished.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I think we would be good with either Patterson or Hopkins. Hopkins reminds me of roddy white and Patterson reminds me of dez bryant, so either way I think we would be getting a good reciever
    seahawks875
    NET Rookie

• I like Hunter 6'4, put up 1000+ yards and 9 TDs... Reminds me of AJ Green a bit.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• I am on the Hunter bandwagon as well.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• seahawks875 wrote:I think we would be good with either Patterson or Hopkins. Hopkins reminds me of roddy white and Patterson reminds me of dez bryant, so either way I think we would be getting a good reciever

I agree with the White and Hopkins comparison, but I'd say Keenan Allen fits the Dez Bryant comparison more, IMO.

I don't know if there's really a player in the NFL now that compares Patterson except maybe a much bigger and stronger Percy Harvin.

This draft is going to be fun to see where these receivers go.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Recon_Hawk wrote:
    seahawks875 wrote:I think we would be good with either Patterson or Hopkins. Hopkins reminds me of roddy white and Patterson reminds me of dez bryant, so either way I think we would be getting a good reciever

I agree with the White and Hopkins comparison, but I'd say Keenan Allen fits the Dez Bryant comparison more, IMO.

I don't know if there's really a player in the NFL now that compares Patterson except maybe a much bigger and stronger Percy Harvin.

This draft is going to be fun to see where these receivers go.

I really can't remember seeing a kid Patterson's size move the way he does. He's so electric in the open field.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I say Patterson compares to Bryant because they both have/had character problems entering the draft but are big, fast , very talented receivers, I also agree that Justin hunter kind of reminds me of AJ Green
    seahawks875
    NET Rookie

• I would compare Keenan Allen to Brandon Marshall, both are big possession receivers that rack up a lot of catches
    seahawks875
    NET Rookie

• I am intrigued by Patterson. But a lot of his production comes from reversing field against college athletes, Reggie Bush will tell you that that doesn't translate to the NFL.

I prefer the more polished Hopkins or Wheaton. Especially if we are talking about someone to catch the ball consistently, be smart, run great routes and spend the offseasons working with Russ.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• kobebryant wrote:I am intrigued by Patterson. But a lot of his production comes from reversing field against college athletes, Reggie Bush will tell you that that doesn't translate to the NFL.

I prefer the more polished Hopkins or Wheaton. Especially if we are talking about someone to catch the ball consistently, be smart, run great routes and spend the offseasons working with Russ.

Exactly! And I fear Patterson would get the ball stripped a lot with the way he so casually carries it. The speed of the NFL might be too much for him if he can't run a route tree. And the character concerns worry me. He's not worth the risk.

I prefer DeAndre Hopkins, kid always gets open and makes the tough catch. He's money.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• ivotuk wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:I am intrigued by Patterson. But a lot of his production comes from reversing field against college athletes, Reggie Bush will tell you that that doesn't translate to the NFL.

Exactly! And I fear Patterson would get the ball stripped a lot with the way he so casually carries it. The speed of the NFL might be too much for him if he can't run a route tree. And the character concerns worry me. He's not worth the risk.

I prefer DeAndre Hopkins, kid always gets open and makes the tough catch. He's money.

What character concerns? Patterson has none. He just played hot and cold like a lot of young guys will.

Not like UT had the greatest coaching staff in the world either.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• kobebryant wrote:I am intrigued by Patterson. But a lot of his production comes from reversing field against college athletes, Reggie Bush will tell you that that doesn't translate to the NFL.

Good points all around, particularly the last 6 words.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:I am intrigued by Patterson. But a lot of his production comes from reversing field against college athletes, Reggie Bush will tell you that that doesn't translate to the NFL.

Good points all around, particularly the last 6 words.

I like Hopkins too.. but the working the offseason with Russ part.. won't that be beneficial to ANY rookie WR?

I think in the end it's all probably moot anyway, as guys like Patterson scream "quick riser up the boards" because of what an athletic freak he is.. and unless we trade up for him, we're probably not getting him.. but I'm inclined to believe any rookie WR is going to benefit a lot from having Russell Wilson has his QB.. simply because he's going to demand 110% effort from his guy.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• His highlights are exciting as hell. Some very quick cuts and nice vision in the open field.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• I think Hunter better hands and route running than Patterson. I see elite playmaking ability in Patterson that is rare in the league, but I'm not sure I see a future #1 WR.

I like to see players go up and make a strong play with their hands...Hunter does that, but Hopkins does it better than anyone in the class.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• Everyone always want the next Andre Johnson or Brandon Marshall. The big 6'3+ wr with speed. So much so that we see guys every year who have the measurables but not the tape or production of a first rounder.

See
    2012 #13 Michael Floyd
    2011 #26 Jonathan Baldwin
    2010 #22 Demarius Thomas
    2010 #24 Dez Bryant

Some work out some don't

I agree Reggie Wayne and Roddy White are good comparisons for Hopkins. He is not the biggest, the fastest, or even stand out in highlights, but what i think he brings is the consistency that the others don't have. The diffrence between Koren Robinson and Darrell Jackson, Koren was bigger faster and more talented but was soo damn inconsistent. D-Jax just got open and made play for us (minus a few drops)

Pair up Hopkins with RW3 and I see magic, look how much Tate improved with RW throwing to him, I see more speed, better hands, and better separation with Hopkins than Tate has. I'd love to get an instant upgrade vs a project unrefined WR.

I'm worried myself and other on .net are getting to in love with Hopkins as I think there is a good chance he will be around when we draft. I just worried PC and JS don't see upgrading our WR's with an early pick something they want to do. I think we are more invested in Rice, Tate, Baldwin than we are Miller, McCoy at TE. If they want to give Russ a weapon but not mess with Tate's confidence they might go for a project WR but in round 2 or 3.

Can't wait for the draft
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:52 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information