4 round Mock for the Seahawks picks

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Rnd 1: Zach Ertz TE Stanford
Rnd 2: Deandre Hopkins WR Clemson
Rnd 3: Zaviar Gooden OLB Missouri
Rnd 4: Ricky Wagner OT Wisconsin

Just some thoughts peeps. Let me know what you think will probably estimate a full 7 RND once i get more research in.

Erebus

Reaction score
I think thats wishful thinking. I doubt Hopkins will be available for our 2nd round pick, unless we trade up. I would love those first two rounds. Don't know enough about the other guys to comment, but I do like the positions.

McGruff

Reaction score
3 of 4 picks fail to meet and need at all, and most are unrealistic.

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":p87uvepw said:

Hawks draft pruely on need?

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":1ppbkxju said:
McGruff":1ppbkxju said:

Hawks draft pruely on need?

Not purely, but look at the drafts, man. In 2010 everyone knew we needed a LT and safety, and we got King and ET. In 2011 everyone knew we needed a RT, and we drafted Carp. Last year everyone knew we needed a DE and MLB and we drafted Bruce and Wags.

The names are often unexpected, but e positions early in the draft are usually pretty predictable.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm going to assume that Flynn was traded to Jacksonville moving our #57 pick up to #34. That's the only likely way I see us getting Hopkins in round 2. I'd also assume that Seattle had a monster free agency with defensive line additions.

Still, if that mock was justifiable based on a strong showing in free agency, I'd love it.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
kearly":sq65hvl1 said:
I'm going to assume that Flynn was traded to Jacksonville moving our #57 pick up to #34. That's the only likely way I see us getting Hopkins in round 2. I'd also assume that Seattle had a monster free agency with defensive line additions.

Still, if that mock was justifiable based on a strong showing in free agency, I'd love it.

I do not want to keep relying on FA to solve our D-line problems, honestly. Earlier I was doing a big, long post about the average round we drafted all our positional groups of players, and D-line graded out near the worst at 5 (remember the numbers will be skewed with more lower round picks than higher round picks, and I counted FA's as a round 8), and they didn't even have UDFA's! The highest pick we have spent on D-line (other than our weird LEO position with the Irvin selection) is a 4th rounder . The only guy who has been on the field even consistently is a 7th rounder in Scruggs, and of course our first rounder in Irvin. D-line is the only area our FO hasn't worked it's magic on in the draft (you could argue RB is another, but we have only needed 1 draft pick for a backup RB, and Turbo is fine), and I'd love for that trend to be broken. Our FO hasn't shown they can get it done on the D-line with later round picks, so let's use early rounders instead. Our D-line is downright horrible right now, and is dragging down the whole team, but if we upgrade it we will be near unstoppable.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawksfan515":37ood5uf said:
kearly":37ood5uf said:

I do not want to keep relying on FA to solve our D-line problems, honestly. Earlier I was doing a big, long post about the average round we drafted all our positional groups of players, and D-line graded out near the worst at 5 (remember the numbers will be skewed with more lower round picks than higher round picks, and I counted FA's as a round 8), and they didn't even have UDFA's! The highest pick we have spent on D-line (other than our weird LEO position with the Irvin selection) is a 4th rounder . The only guy who has been on the field even consistently is a 7th rounder in Scruggs, and of course our first rounder in Irvin. D-line is the only area our FO hasn't worked it's magic on in the draft (you could argue RB is another, but we have only needed 1 draft pick for a backup RB, and Turbo is fine), and I'd love for that trend to be broken. Our FO hasn't shown they can get it done on the D-line with later round picks, so let's use early rounders instead. Our D-line is downright horrible right now, and is dragging down the whole team, but if we upgrade it we will be near unstoppable.

WTF, they have rebuit the O -LINE, RB'S LB'S, DB'S WR'S. Pete stated explicitly Pass rushers in his last post game after the Atlanta loss, 3 years and almost a totally rebuilt team with the exception of the D-line, even with that they have done their best to keep it from falling apart with the FA's they have brought in. This was a 4 year project, they brought back Quinn who's strength is the D-line.

Horrible D -Line on a defense that was top 10, you cannot sell that bag of goods either. Lighter on the pass rush then all of us want yes.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
chris98251":1aywsua6 said:
hawksfan515":1aywsua6 said:
kearly":1aywsua6 said:

WTF, they have rebuit the O -LINE, RB'S LB'S, DB'S WR'S. Pete stated explicitly Pass rushers in his last post game after the Atlanta loss, 3 years and almost a totally rebuilt team with the exception of the D-line, even with that they have done their best to keep it from falling apart with the FA's they have brought in. This was a 4 year project, they brought back Quinn who's strength is the D-line.

Horrible D -Line on a defense that was top 10, you cannot sell that bag of goods either. Lighter on the pass rush then all of us want yes.

I know, I stated that. I truly think that our O-line, RB's, LB's, and DB's are top 10 (with WR's top 20). That's how much Pete and John have done, it is amazing. In fact I think DB's, RB's, and maybe LB's are top 5.

Unfortunately, our D-line is bad. Early in the year it was pretty good, offering a little pass rush and giving NO ground on the run game. I miss that so damn much. In the Atlanta game, it got to the point where our D-line couldn't stop the run and it couldn't generate a pass rush. If we had an average secondary and LB core we would have got massively destroyed. Luckily for us those units are amazing.

And, Pete stated he wanted pass rush last year as well, didn't he? I think he can get it done as long as we pump some high picks in there. All the other units of the team are fine, pump more picks into the line!

chris98251

Reaction score
You don't need high picks, Porter, Sinclair, Danials, just a couple examples, there are many more, Clemons also, it's all about the desire and skill to learn adapt and speed and quickness. Mostly desire. DT with a push will make our edge guys look twice as good. We may find another edge guy but DT that can demand a double would free up guys or make an offense much more one dimentional such as when we had TJack here, holding a back and TE in to block with our secondary is a win.

pehawk

Reaction score
Good DT's are rare AND require high picks.

kearly

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3g9a8a6g said:
I do not want to keep relying on FA to solve our D-line problems, honestly.

My problem with that is this, when I look at what needs to be done to fix this defensive line, I'm not seeing anyone in the draft that I feel great about (that is also realistic). By contrast, this is an unusually strong year in FA for DL, and there could also potentially be some trade options available (Jared Allen, etc).

Seattle has money to spend, and they've found more success on the D-line with veterans than draft picks (Clemons, Brock, Hargrove, Branch, Jones, etc). Irvin is the only active member of this D-line that was drafted by Seattle (I'm counting Howard as inactive). EDIT: Forgot Scruggs, who I like a lot.

But mostly, it's more about not liking this draft. My favorite LEO option is Alex Okafor, and he'd probably produce less next season than Cliff Avril or Osi Umenyiora. He'd also cost a 1st round pick. I'm not seeing any DTs that scream monster pass rushers. There's also the fact that drafted pass rushers are notoriously slow to start. It's not uncommon at all for a pass rusher to take his lumps for years before clicking in his late 20s.

I think the best course of action is to at least form a short term fix in free agency for DL while adding DL draft picks that make sense throughout the draft. If Seattle goes into the draft being forced to take pass rushers with their first two picks, I wouldn't feel very good about their offseason.

chris98251":3g9a8a6g said:
You don't need high picks, Porter, Sinclair, Danials, just a couple examples

Agreed. I think if Seattle is going to strike it rich in this draft at pass rusher, it will probably be with players we've never heard of and who won't have videos on youtube. Quanterus Smith is kind of an example of that. Nobody is talking about him nationally, but he'd have real potential in our scheme.

If we do find ace pass rushers, it will probably like how we found Richard Sherman. Out of the blue in the mid to late rounds. Because I'm not seeing it early. I think the best plan would be to fix the DL in free agency if possible then grab bag pass rushers after the early rounds with a shotgun approach and hope to get a hit or two.

chris98251

Reaction score
pehawk":dotjgwiv said:

3 tech guys many times yes. But you may find guys on the fringe that can play it that just don't show up because of their supporting cast makes it easy to either run away or double up on them and have a back as protection as well.

This is the area where John, Pete, and Dan will have to return to the no stone left unturned approach.

GoHawks

Reaction score
Initially was tempted to go with Kearly's comments: but I think Cap$ is at a premium to extend some of our core players with contracts coming up, so more likely to pick up stop-gap low$ FA's at DE/DT (Osi/Starks) and draft at those positions earlier in the draft

Way too early 5-rnd mock

2013 Draft Picks:
1 - WR DeAndre Hopkins
2 - DT Kawann Short
3 - DE John Simon (*trade MF to KC or JAGs for pick 65/66)
3 - TE Gavin Escobar
4 - QB Matt Scott
5 - OLB Keith Pough

OP
OP
K

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
I am sorry but i just do not see any DT's in this draft that will fix our problem besides Richardson and Lotulelei. You really think they are going to be there at 25? I sure don't. Unless we trade up to get "OUR GUY" i am just not seeing it in this class. Why i mocked it the way i did. Maybe i should change my Hopkins pick to Da'Rick Rogers from Tennessee Tech. But Ertz would be a great pick up round 1. I just see us drafting a WR in Round 2. And for Round 3 Zavier Gooden OLB i found information on a site that said he has been clocked at 4.37 in the 40. Do i believe it no but we know Carroll wants speed at Leroy Hill's spot hence Malcom Smith coming into play. Round 4 i put Ricky Wagner on there just so we could draft an OT to make sure we have Depth for Breno and Okung. Yes you may be correct in saying there is no one that is a team need in my mock but if you can name a DT besides Richardson and Lotulelei that can collapse the pocket in QB's face then that would be awesome. But i just don't see it in this class. JS seemed really excited about this draft class hearing him talk about how he can't wait to get back with the scouts and get this draft and ranking board figured out. Like i said i know i didn't put us drafting our #1 position of need but i think drafting like that would definitely solidify our team even further.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
chris98251":1hfd4cal said:
pehawk":1hfd4cal said:

3 tech guys many times yes. But you may find guys on the fringe that can play it that just don't show up because of their supporting cast makes it easy to either run away or double up on them and have a back as protection as well.

This is the area where John, Pete, and Dan will have to return to the no stone left unturned approach.

Well that approach could work as well.... Maybe instead of loading up the secondary, we take a whole bunch of D-line late. One of them has to be good right?

chris98251

Reaction score
Looking at prospects there were several that were injured or had some problems. Guys with 4.9 speed to 5.10 which I think is good for a big kid and weighed in between 290 and 325. Those are the types I think we look at, I'm sure they will be gone over by the staff as well. Those are the players that can be steals if we evaluate the talent and situation well.

OP
OP
K

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
chris98251":wwezltwi said:
Looking at prospects there were several that were injured or had some problems. Guys with 4.9 speed to 5.10 which I think is good for a big kid and weighed in between 290 and 325. Those are the types I think we look at, I'm sure they will be gone over by the staff as well. Those are the players that can be steals if we evaluate the talent and situation well.

Would be awesome to find a gem like that. Our D line desperately needs it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jacobbi McDaniel, DT, Florida State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 297.

A.J. Francis*, DT, Maryland
Height: 6-3. Weight: 305.

Guys that are worth looking at I think, would be later round mostly.

OP
OP
K

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
chris98251":2s2kzafw said:
Jacobbi McDaniel, DT, Florida State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 297.

A.J. Francis*, DT, Maryland
Height: 6-3. Weight: 305.

Guys that are worth looking at I think, would be later round mostly.

Cool Deal ill take a look at these two. Thanks for the info.