WR Cordarrelle Patterson is pretty damn good

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Watching this highlight reel, with a solid combine.. I don't know how he slips to 25.. but wow would I love to have this kid.

His PR vs. Vandy :shock:

[youtube]vx6pGFvDqt0[/youtube]

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
You think he could get open when Russell is scramblin' around?! =)

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":2xg0g24w said:
You think he could get open when Russell is scramblin' around?! =)

I was really high on Patterson, and I still am, I think he could be a great player in the national football league, but I think there's another receiver in this draft that would give us a bigger instant impact. I think Patterson's raw, and hasn't got the football smarts of a guy like DeAndre Hopkins.

Hopkins doesn't have the size or pace of Patterson but I watch his tape and he knows how to find space, and that's huge, think Largent!

Watch the tapes of Allen and Patterson and you'll see they make a lot of their catches (albeit spectacular ones) in traffic, of course there are the exceptions, especially with Patterson (though it's largely due to his pace, not his route running).

Now watch Hopkins. He too, without offering the height of Allen or Patterson, can make some great catches in traffic. But also notice how often he is open, I lost count of how often I heard "Wide open, DeAndre Hopkins" watching his tape.

[youtube]bVWm9pNiXYY[/youtube]

He displays a greater ability to consistently get open, and that's something that would be very valuable to a QB who's taught to take care of the ball; and as a result of the receivers' struggles to get open this year, has either scrambled, thrown it away or taken sacks.

It would make much more sense to take Hopkins than Patterson, imo. I'm not saying Patterson's necessarily a project, I just don't think he's as ready as Hopkins, and although he's the kind of guy you'd look to supersede Sidney, I'd rather we drafted for immediate impact, especially in the first/early second.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
With Wilson, I want the most polished guy there when picking a WR since it took about 3 full seasons for Tate to arrive. I like Hopkins the most, he isn't exactly a small guy but just seems like one of those reliable WR that can get open regularly. I don't know if about the rest of them, a Torrey Smith type would be nice but I don't know who the speedsters are this season.

ivotuk

Reaction score
12th_Bob":1pbu2oxz said:
With Wilson, I want the most polished guy there when picking a WR since it took about 3 full seasons for Tate to arrive. I like Hopkins the most, he isn't exactly a small guy but just seems like one of those reliable WR that can get open regularly. I don't know if about the rest of them, a Torrey Smith type would be nice but I don't know who the speedsters are this season.

+1 My favorites are Ezekial Ansah, Sheldon Richardson and DeAndre Hopkins, in that order.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
12th_Bob":2pvwvy27 said:
With Wilson, I want the most polished guy there when picking a WR since it took about 3 full seasons for Tate to arrive. I like Hopkins the most, he isn't exactly a small guy but just seems like one of those reliable WR that can get open regularly.

I agree with this. If Hopkins turns out to be able to compensate well for a moving QB, his workaholic reputation and reliability seems like the best help for this offense.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I see a little Roddy White in Hopkins.. he would not be a bad pick either.

I honestly don't think Patterson will be there at 25 after all the workouts get going. Kid is an athletic dynamo.

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
I want Hopkins and Wheaton, dont know how we get both or either but I want them. Thier ability to create seperation and high point ability sets them apart from many other recievers.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I don't know if a guy at the top is worth a blockbuster deal. But, I'd trade a couple of mid round picks to move up 8 spots or so to ensure getting Hopkins. I see a lot of Reggie Wayne in him.

I don't think Star L. falls, too much potential. I can see Patterson going really high as well. The success of guys like Harvin and Cobb shows that freak athletes can make an impact early even if they're not too polished.

seahawks875

Reaction score
I think we would be good with either Patterson or Hopkins. Hopkins reminds me of roddy white and Patterson reminds me of dez bryant, so either way I think we would be getting a good reciever

lukerguy

Reaction score
I like Hunter 6'4, put up 1000+ yards and 9 TDs... Reminds me of AJ Green a bit.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
seahawks875":jxgwve03 said:
I think we would be good with either Patterson or Hopkins. Hopkins reminds me of roddy white and Patterson reminds me of dez bryant, so either way I think we would be getting a good reciever
I agree with the White and Hopkins comparison, but I'd say Keenan Allen fits the Dez Bryant comparison more, IMO.

I don't know if there's really a player in the NFL now that compares Patterson except maybe a much bigger and stronger Percy Harvin.

This draft is going to be fun to see where these receivers go.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3bk202pn said:
seahawks875":3bk202pn said:
I agree with the White and Hopkins comparison, but I'd say Keenan Allen fits the Dez Bryant comparison more, IMO.

I don't know if there's really a player in the NFL now that compares Patterson except maybe a much bigger and stronger Percy Harvin.

This draft is going to be fun to see where these receivers go.

I really can't remember seeing a kid Patterson's size move the way he does. He's so electric in the open field.

seahawks875

Reaction score
I say Patterson compares to Bryant because they both have/had character problems entering the draft but are big, fast , very talented receivers, I also agree that Justin hunter kind of reminds me of AJ Green

seahawks875

Reaction score
I would compare Keenan Allen to Brandon Marshall, both are big possession receivers that rack up a lot of catches

kobebryant

Reaction score
I am intrigued by Patterson. But a lot of his production comes from reversing field against college athletes, Reggie Bush will tell you that that doesn't translate to the NFL.

I prefer the more polished Hopkins or Wheaton. Especially if we are talking about someone to catch the ball consistently, be smart, run great routes and spend the offseasons working with Russ.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kobebryant":2awtce7s said:
I am intrigued by Patterson. But a lot of his production comes from reversing field against college athletes, Reggie Bush will tell you that that doesn't translate to the NFL.

I prefer the more polished Hopkins or Wheaton. Especially if we are talking about someone to catch the ball consistently, be smart, run great routes and spend the offseasons working with Russ.

Exactly! And I fear Patterson would get the ball stripped a lot with the way he so casually carries it. The speed of the NFL might be too much for him if he can't run a route tree. And the character concerns worry me. He's not worth the risk.

I prefer DeAndre Hopkins, kid always gets open and makes the tough catch. He's money.