2013 draft needs: revisited

HawkWow

Reaction score
It was just a few weeks ago that I felt we were positioned to just go BPA 1-7. Suddenly, we've lost our #1 pass rusher and RW is getting sacked (much more than we'd like).

I had hopes of taking a DT (Jenkins) and a wideout (or the TE from ND) early. Now I'm not so sure. Has this injury to Clemons caused any of you to re-think the 2013 draft. What did you come up with?

BTW, It would be nice to have another WR, but we look pretty good at the position right now, IMO. Especially with Miller getting more and more freed up (but that could be contributing to the sack problem as well).

Seahawker86

Reaction score

Are you lost? Looking for Miami Dolphin's website? Our team is still in the playoffs and look like they are making a Superbowl run...

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
No, I'm not lost. (WTF?) Even if we win the superbowl, we should still at least consider partcipating in this upcoming draft. You do understand the concept of the draft, right?

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":1pcr80ih said:

Are you lost? Looking for Miami Dolphin's website? Our team is still in the playoffs and look like they are making a Superbowl run...

Unnecessary trolling.

However - there is a draft forum.

Moreover, we will have all the draft talk possible within 3 days of the end of our season (hopefully in February) - I assure you - you will be satisfied with draft talk soon.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":eajwrx0c said:
kthebestwayw":eajwrx0c said:

Unnecessary trolling.

However - there is a draft forum.

Moreover, we will have all the draft talk possible within 3 days of the end of our season (hopefully in February) - I assure you - you will be satisfied with draft talk soon.

Fair enough. I guess I'm getting a bit rattled with this talk of losing Clem (perhaps permanently) and bringing Edwards on board. We've been really fortunate this year...now we are faced with brining in kickers that haven't kicked and unwanted DEs. I will further explore the other areas of the forum before posting next time. But IMO, this next draft is many times more important than "what will Russell Wilson have for breakfast on game day"? type threads, LOL.

BTW...Love your avatar! Yesterday, ML over-took John L as my all time fav. Hawk RB.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
It was about time to start finding Clemons long term replacement anyway - maybe not this draft, per se, but it won't hurt to pull the trigger now.

They may also look for a pass rushing OLB.

BASF

Reaction score
Irvin is Clemons replacement. We may now need to look for Irvin's replacement. Unfortunately our resident draftniks have said that there are no true Leo prospects in the first round of this draft. However, I will counter with no one thought Irvin would go in the first round this time last year.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, new to the site.

I'm of the mind that the hawks have a keen eye for speed, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Earl Thomas (4.43)
Bobby Wagner (4.46)
Bruce Irvin (4.42)
Malcolm Smith (4.44)
Mike Morgan (4.40)

Looking at the 2013 draft class, there are only a handful of defensive players that fit the 4.4 criteria. Two that are most intriguing to me are LB Jonathan Brown (6'1, 235, 4.49) and CB Desmond Trufant (6'0, 184, 4.42).

On the offensive side... were not as explosive. Marshawn and Golden Tate both run 40s in the low 4.40s. One player I hope we have on our draft board is Jared Abbrederis (6'2, 185, 4.41), one of Wilson's receivers at Wisconsin. Jared has good size and quickness and should really help Wilson take advantage of his ability to extend plays.

There are also several OGs that are interesting as well... off the top of my head, Ricky Wagner (Wisconsin), Larry Warford and Alvin Bailey look intriguing.

Though I doubt we will look at TEs (Tom Cable brought in Zach Miller for a reason), I think we would have to take a long look at either of Stanford's monster TEs.

My Mock:

1. OLB - Jonathan Brown
2. WR - Jared Abbrederis
3. CB - Desmond Trufant
4. OG - Ricky Wagner
5. DE - Will Sutton

Trade:

Matt Flynn for a 2nd or 3rd Rounder

Potential Free Agency Targets:

WR - Mike Wallace
LB - Rey Maualuga
QB - Tarvaris Jackson

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I just don't see picking a OLB that high. Look at Bobby... Probably rookie of the year, a very solid player. A game changer ..no. The LB position is very rarely a position that allows it. I think your first pick has to be a game changer for the Hawks. We are pretty solid otherwise

I'd like to see a stud DL. Of all positions a DL gives you the biggest bang for the pick. A WR would be nice or a TE as well if the the DL choices are thin. We still need the big Mike Williams type body to catch in traffic. There is crossover at the point with TEs that are very athletic that can go either way like Winslow was able to do.

I really like the trades and Free Agents signings I see as all possible. Flynn could factor into a trade as well for a player

CANHawk

Reaction score
A pass rushing 3-tech is by far the biggest need heading into the off season. Alan Branch is great at what he does, as was Jason Jones before he got hurt, but what we really need is one guy that can do the job of those two and can stay of the field for 3 downs.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
SDHawk":1d18gztn said:
Potential Free Agency Targets:

WR - Mike Wallace
LB - Rey Maualuga
QB - Tarvaris Jackson
Scratch Maualuga off that list.

He was abused by the Texans last weekend.

Too slow.

SDHawk

Reaction score
@Happypuppy, Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you that the Hawks are best off getting an impact DT that can create some pressure. If we can get Sheldon Richardson or Kawann Short late in the 1st round I would be very happy. If we can trade Flynn for a 2nd rounder, we can do something like this:

1. DT - Sheldon Richardson/Kawann Short
2. LB - Jonathan Brown
2. WR - Jared Abbrederis
3. CB - Desmond Trufant
4. OG/OT - Ricky Wagner, Larry Warford, Alvin Bailey

@CANHawk, Thanks. I think a pass-rushing 3-tech completes this defense... but not sure it's a desperate need.

@Onanygivensunday. I think Maualuga is coming around. Bengals def played really well down the stretch and Maualuga is clearly their leader. I only suggested here because of his history w/ Carroll. That said, he is a bit slower than what were accustomed to.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
SDHawk":s9zh44pd said:
@Happypuppy, Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you that the Hawks are best off getting an impact DT that can create some pressure. If we can get Sheldon Richardson or Kawann Short late in the 1st round I would be very happy. If we can trade Flynn for a 2nd rounder, we can do something like this:

2. LB - Jonathan Brown
2. WR - Jared Abbrederis
3. CB - Desmond Trufant

@CANHawk, Thanks. I think a pass-rushing 3-tech completes this defense... but not sure it's a desperate need.

@Onanygivensunday. I think Maualuga is coming around. Bengals def played really well down the stretch and Maualuga is clearly their leader. I only suggested here because of his history w/ Carroll. That said, he is a bit slower than what were accustomed to.

So, you do not believe that a pass-rushing three-technique is a desperate need for the Seahawks? Explain please?

SDHawk

Reaction score
So, you do not believe that a pass-rushing three-technique is a desperate need for the Seahawks? Explain please?

Sure.

Our defense ranks:

1st in points allowed per game
4th in total yards allowed per game
6th in passing yards allowed per game
10th in rushing yards allowed per game

Our offense ranks:

9th in points per game
17th in total yards per game
27th in passing yards per game
3rd in rushing yards per game

Do you need any more detail beyond this?

Alan Branch is not a folding chair. He is serviceable, if not very good at what he does. I think DT is a need to complete this defensive scheme but I don't see it as a desperate need.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
SDHawk":agzg5mch said:

Sure.

Our defense ranks:

Our offense ranks:

9th in points per game

Alan Branch is not a folding chair. He is serviceable, if not very good at what he does. I think DT is a need to complete this defensive scheme but I don't see it as a desperate need.

Since these two numbers are skewed because of the late opening of the playbook then I do require more detail.

I am not one who will panic about average sack numbers because there are pressures. We have two speed rushers that make the QB step up into the pocket. Our problem is that we have nobody to make the QB pay for that movement. We need push in the middle of the defense. A gap shooting three-technique is definitely a need on this team.

SDHawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2wag7g12 said:
SDHawk":2wag7g12 said:

Sure.

Our defense ranks:

Our offense ranks:

9th in points per game

Since these two numbers are skewed because of the late opening of the playbook then I do require more detail.

I am not one who will panic about average sack numbers because there are pressures. We have two speed rushers that make the QB step up into the pocket. Our problem is that we have nobody to make the QB pay for that movement. We need push in the middle of the defense. A gap shooting three-technique is definitely a need on this team.

I thought we were talking about the desperate need for a DT. Not sure why you want the granular detail behind those offensive rankings.

I'm not disagreeing that we could use one, just pointing out that impact DTs might be thin by the time it gets around to the Hawks first pick.

What do you guys think of Sheldon Richardson/Kawann Short. I think Richardson might be more athletic and explosive but I think Kawann's game is more NFL ready..

[youtube]ShSiAvIX1Jc[/youtube]

[youtube]tljz8vIcdkc[/youtube]

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
I used the numbers that you supplied to show that there was a bigger need on offense even though the numbers that you furnished are skewed. You also mentioned that there was not a desperate need for a three technique and I disagree. The team should address that need in the draft. Whether there is a talent available in the late first round is irrelevant. You just added that aspect into the discussion by saying that you did not see any available in the late first. Even if that were true, the desperate need does not just disappear.

CANHawk

Reaction score
SDHawk":2dek0tjo said:

Sure.

Our defense ranks:

Our offense ranks:

9th in points per game

Those offensive rankings are in a bit of a vacuum my brotha (and I think you know that). Russell has improved by leaps and bounds over the first half of the season, Sidney looks like a bonafied #1, Golden Tate has finally broken out, Doug Baldwin is catching everything that's thrown his way, Zack Miller has been looking like the pro bowl pass catching Zack Milelr of old and even Tony McCoy and Mike Rob are getting into the act.

But if you insist on looking at rankings, how about 18th in the league in sacks? That's below league average BTW. A good penetrating 3-tech will go a long way to improving that number. And if you want to look at THE BIG PICTURE, improving our sack numbers will help force teams off the field on 3rd down, which will improve the time of posession ratio, which will give the offense more time on the field, which will give the offense more opportunities to throw the ball which will improve the passing statistics.

Therefore... a pass rushing 3-tech is the single most important need in the off season. As for who will be available by the time we pick though I have absolutely ZERO clue (but I know we really really need one).

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
SDHawk":ki1gykjn said:

2. LB - Jonathan Brown
2. WR - Jared Abbrederis
3. CB - Desmond Trufant

I like the Richardson pick a lot. I've had my eye on Jenkins at the DT spot, but it's been reported he comes with "baggage". Irvin came with baggage too, so....

It's also been reported Jenkins, who apparently won't blow anyone away with his SAT scores, "plays with an attitude". Dependant on how significant the baggage, I like the attitude part.

You have Trufant falling to the 3rd and if he's still there when we pick, he would probably be good value, but even though I bleed PURPLE, I wouldn't want to take him any higher and I think it possible, despite his sometimes eratic play, that he will be gone prior to the bottom of the 3rd.. but I could be wrong.