Chip Kelly staying at Oregon.

cesame

Reaction score
It's called negotiating.

Chip chose the best job (staying at Oregon)

He's smart

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Funny. Heard from Schefter yesterday he was "guaranteed" to leave for the NFL.

It looks like Schefter took a blind swing on this one and missed.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hopefully he's willing to make a 3 to 5 year commitment. If we're just going to have to go thru this again next year i'd actually prefer that he leave now.

I'll tell you one thing though, his players love him as much as i've ever seen players love a coach. I know they're going to be an extremely happy group.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
cesame":33who1rj said:
It's called negotiating.

He's smart

Negotiating my foot.

He's looked so indecisive during this process. The guy clearly has ambitions to coach in the NFL, so I don't get his approach. What is he waiting for? An even bigger contract? I mean, he's basically done in the NFL now. He led Tampa Bay down the garden path last year. Now it's Cleveland who get the lawyers in to finalise the contract (while he's dining with Philly for about eight hours). As Peter King joked earlier, everyone will run away screaming next time Chip Kelly decides he fancis the NFL.

Just either stay at Oregon and get on with it, or move to the NFL. I don't expect Oregon fans to agree with me on this, but the guy just looks like he can't make a decision on what he truly wants. Is it the same again next year? Kelly kind of thinking he wants to go to the NFL, then backing out after another foolish team has wasted a weekend with the lawyers?

cesame

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":gb61k73p said:
cesame":gb61k73p said:
It's called negotiating.

He's smart

Negotiating my foot.

He's looked so indecisive during this process. The guy clearly has ambitions to coach in the NFL, so I don't get his approach. What is he waiting for? An even bigger contract? I mean, he's basically done in the NFL now. He led Tampa Bay down the garden path last year. Now it's Cleveland who get the lawyers in to finalise the contract (while he's dining with Philly for about eight hours). As Peter King joked earlier, everyone will run away screaming next time Chip Kelly decides he fancis the NFL.

Just either stay at Oregon and get on with it, or move to the NFL. I don't expect Oregon fans to agree with me on this, but the guy just looks like he can't make a decision on what he truly wants. Is it the same again next year? Kelly kind of thinking he wants to go to the NFL, then backing out after another foolish team has wasted a weekend with the lawyers?

I think he's waiting for an offer that's good enough to make him want to leave Oregon. Pete Carroll did the same thing while he was at USC. He didn't leave until he got the control he wanted and Paul Allen was the one that gave it to him.

Chip probably wants something similar and he won't settle for less. He's already in a great position making a lot of money. He really has no rush to make the jump to the NFL seeing that he'd be a pretty young head coach (and only 4 years of head coaching experience).

As a coach coming from college he's only going to get one chance. If one day he finally takes that chance, I'm sure he wants it to be the right situation for him.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Would love to see Kelly bring that Offense into the NFL. But I agree he wants a Pete Carroll "final say" contract.

Then again why don't these loser teams give it to him?

cesame

Reaction score
I guess I lied about Chip Kelly being a young coach. He's 49.

Crazy. He looks closer to 39.

Rat

Reaction score
cesame":294rtbj6 said:
Pete Carroll did the same thing while he was at USC.
When did Pete Carroll flirt with the NFL? He was never connected with NFL jobs until Paul Allen courted him out of the blue, "coincidentally" when USC was facing NCAA sanctions.

cesame

Reaction score
Rat":tc3b3wda said:
cesame":tc3b3wda said:
Pete Carroll did the same thing while he was at USC.
When did Pete Carroll flirt with the NFL? He was never connected with NFL jobs until Paul Allen courted him out of the blue, "coincidentally" when USC was facing NCAA sanctions.

Every year there was a story of Pete listening to NFL teams make offers with him ultimately turning them down because he wouldn't get the control he wanted. The Chargers were one team to do so.

Rat

Reaction score
I don't remember him doing anything like what Chip Kelly has been doing. Maybe my memory is bad.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I think once he starts thinking about what he's going to inherit, staying at the place he's already built starts to look a lot more appealing.

I said in another thread that I think he wants more control than an NFL team might want to concede to an unproven college coach (Carroll wasn't really unproven), but I also think Kelly doesn't think he can have much fun at the next level, either.

I do think this will scare NFL teams off for a couple years for sure.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Pete Carroll DID NOT agree to join two NFL teams, have an eight hour meeting with another (while Cleveland's lawyer's twiddled their thumbs) and then change his mind just like that to go back to USC.

Chip Kelly has dangled himself out there and seemingly shown serious interest in going to the NFL. And for whatever reason, when it's actually been time to make the commitment, he's suddenly changed his mind.

And if he really is just waiting for the right move... yeah - good luck with that. I very much doubt any other teams will be picking up the phone any time soon after this.

DonovanJM

Reaction score
When did he agree to sign on with the Browns? All I saw was that he was close and that they were going to have a second meeting. Does a second meeting mean that he agreed?

cesame

Reaction score
He obviously didn't hear enough to make him want to pack up and leave a great coaching position at Oregon.

If one day he decides he's had enough of the college game and wants to make the jump, there will be teams lining up to talk to him. He's that respected. Tony Dungy raves about Chip Kelly's style.

Snohomie

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2b5vpbm5 said:
And if he really is just waiting for the right move... yeah - good luck with that. I very much doubt any other teams will be picking up the phone any time soon after this.

I really hope you're right. But I doubt it lasts more than a couple years. I heard Nick Saban's name thrown around a little this year, Chip's NFL reputation is nowhere near as tattered as Saban's.

Seahawks win and Chip stays. I thought Christmas was in December?

cesame

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll point out I don't really think he burned any bridges to the NFL.

That said, it wouldn't bother me in the least if he did. Stay at Oregon forever, Chip.

kearly

Reaction score
The thing about a cock tease, the more she teases you, the more you want to see her naked. It's just how things work.*

I'd bet you that his penchant for leaving teams at the altar won't effect him one bit next offseason. He'll still be getting multiple offers. At worst they lose a few days in the hiring process, which really isn't a big deal. At best they land the hottest NFL coaching prospect available.

*Enjoy the naked Chip Kelly mental images that I'm sure this post gave you.