Early Entry draft options... (Todd McShay)

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
ESPN Insider article.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/notebook?page=draftbuzz1221

Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones (96)
Some players just have an innate ability to create big plays, and Jones is one of them. He is just a notch below a player like the Denver Broncos' Von Miller in terms of first-step explosiveness, athleticism and versatility. Jones does a great job bending the edge tightly with little wasted motion, and he knows how to separate the ball from the quarterback.

Whether he's punching it out or using a tomahawk chop to rip it free, Jones knows how to attack the ball and take it away.

However, NFL teams will do a lot of digging into the neck injury that ended his career at USC and caused him to transfer to Georgia, where he was finally cleared by doctors to play again. Jones is also a bit undersized (6-2, 242) for the hybrid DE/OLB role he played at Georgia, and he has been dinged up during his career.

Jones also has work to do in terms of taking on blocks and playing within a scheme. He can be seen on tape roaming and freelancing at times, and he gets away with it because of his superior athleticism. However, he will need better gap discipline, to learn which shoulder to take on blocks with, and must get bigger and stronger to hold up at the point of attack.

Teams might not feel comfortable taking him in the top two or three picks, but he's a top-notch pass-rusher and it's hard to imagine him getting out of the top 15 overall unless the medical reports become an issue. There are eight defensive players in our top 10 overall, and Jones is in the mix right near the top.

Florida State DE Bjoern Werner (95)
Werner is tough as nails, does a nice job using his hands as a pass-rusher, and continues to improve in terms of setting blockers up and keeping them off-balance with a combination of balance and quickness.

He doesn't have exceptional top-end speed, but Werner (6-4, 255) does force offensive linemen to honor both his inside and outside quickness. And once they get focused on that, he has the ability to bull-rush them back into the pocket.

On top of all that, Werner can hold up against the run and is a relentless player. It's not a perfect comparison, but I do see many of the same qualities that St. Louis Rams DE Chris Long had showed coming out of college. Werner might take a minute to adjust and figure out how to best use his skills, just as Long did, but it's hard for me to imagine him being a bust.

We rank him among the top 10 overall prospects at this point and I feel good about him coming off the board somewhere in the top 20 picks in the first round.

Georgia LB Alec Ogletree (93)
Ogletree might be pound-for-pound the most talented athlete in this draft. You don't see many players his size (6-3, 237) who have his kind of athleticism and range. When he wants to play all out, he can be a dominant force who provides versatility with his ability to hold up in coverage and also rush the passer.

However, Ogletree comes with some off-field baggage, and scouts will have to do a lot of digging to assess his character. On the field, he needs to be more consistent in terms of taking on blocks within the defensive scheme.

There is a true boom-or-bust element to Ogletree, but his ceiling is so high and the potential reward so great that I can't envision him falling out of the first round.

chris98251

Reaction score
DE maybe, but give me a stocky penetrating DT that can push the pocket and seperate when needed for stopping the run.

BamKam

Reaction score
I vote Ogletree. Pete does well with the high ceiling players with character issues.

OP
OP
Jazzhawk

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2femynlk said:
DE maybe, but give me a stocky penetrating DT that can push the pocket and seperate when needed for stopping the run.
FYI, he wasn't saying the Seahawks should take any of these guys....just saying their strengths and weaknesses. Sorry if I misled.

Latest posts