My dream trade :)

ivotuk

Reaction score
Kansas City needs a QB in the worst way and it's tough to find one that is worth the #1 over all pick. I would offer them Flynn in exchange for swapping spots in the first round.

Why would KC do this instead of drafting that rookie QB in April? Because next year might be the current FOs last year and the only thing they really lack is a good QB. Flynn is a proven commodity that won't take a year or two to develop, and with him on board, Bowe would probably stay in KC.

So what do we do with the #1 overall pick? We trade back for extra picks with a team that desperately needs a QB. Namely the New York Jets :D

From the middle of the 1st round we pick Ezekial Ansah who terrorize NFL QBs and tip passes for years to come. Anything after that is gravy. :th2thumbs:

zifnab32

Reaction score
ivotuk":g5bbwtz4 said:
Kansas City needs a QB in the worst way and it's tough to find one that is worth the #1 over all pick. I would offer them Flynn in exchange for swapping spots in the first round.

Why would KC do this instead of drafting that rookie QB in April? Because next year might be the current FOs last year and the only thing they really lack is a good QB. Flynn is a proven commodity that won't take a year or two to develop, and with him on board, Bowe would probably stay in KC.

So what do we do with the #1 overall pick? We trade back for extra picks with a team that desperately needs a QB. Namely the New York Jets :D

From the middle of the 1st round we pick Ezekial Ansah who terrorize NFL QBs and tip passes for years to come. Anything after that is gravy. :th2thumbs:

You are not going to get a team to drop 20+ spots in the first round for Matt Flynn.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Flynn STILL isn't a proven commodity. If KC wanted a QB like that, they would have just kept Typer Thigpen.

kearly

Reaction score
It goes without saying that this trade would never happen. Flynn would have to have the trade value of two mid first rounders to justify it. And I think KC might be a little wary of trusting a good backup considering how the Cassel experiment worked out for them.

If Sam Bradford and Matt Stafford are worth going #1 overall, then either one of Barkley or Smith would justify the selection. KC won't derp it up.

We don't really need the #1 pick anyway. Who are we trading up for?

If a team offers us a nice trade package for Flynn, great. But remember that few NFL teams can lose their franchise QB to injury and not have their Superbowl dreams obliterated in the process. We are one of the very few that can say that. That's not something to throw away without a second thought.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
ivotuk":q1lhedde said:

I disagree. Flynn is not a proven commodity. If he was, he would have been traded for by a bunch of teams by the deadline (trust me many coaches felt the hot seat). Since the deadline he has proven about the same commodity. As far as Ansah, he did it against lesser talent. If he did what he did in the SEC I could see making that move but he did it against crappy teams. Have a Happy Holiday!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":1d76695q said:
............remember that few NFL teams can lose their franchise QB to injury and not have their Superbowl dreams obliterated in the process. We are one of the very few that can say that. That's not something to throw away without a second thought.
This. Keep Flynn.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kearly":hziwf46r said:
If a team offers us a nice trade package for Flynn, great. But remember that few NFL teams can lose their franchise QB to injury and not have their Superbowl dreams obliterated in the process. We are one of the very few that can say that. That's not something to throw away without a second thought.

I disagree with you. I think Flynn isn't very good and if Wilson was to go down all dreams of a Superbowl would be obliterated. He has played 2 games and has been a backup QB all but 1 of the last 9 years.

zayden185

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":mshbdlw2 said:
kearly":mshbdlw2 said:

I disagree with you. I think Flynn isn't very good and if Wilson was to go down all dreams of a Superbowl would be obliterated. He has played 2 games and has been a backup QB all but 1 of the last 9 years.

Disagree about Flynn. The eyeball test says other wise, to me anyway

Keep him a backup...between both salaries I would bet close to bottom in combined $$ allocation for position

SharkHawk

Reaction score
SEC FAN":2qv0tch3 said:
ivotuk":2qv0tch3 said:

I disagree. Flynn is not a proven commodity. If he was, he would have been traded for by a bunch of teams by the deadline (trust me many coaches felt the hot seat). Since the deadline he has proven about the same commodity. As far as Ansah, he did it against lesser talent. If he did what he did in the SEC I could see making that move but he did it against crappy teams. Have a Happy Holiday!

Lesser talent? Ansah played just as well against Notre Dame as he did against any team this year. Just because they are independent doesn't mean they play against lesser talent every week. He played against the schedule presented and absolutely dominated. Guess what? Bobby Wagner and Robert Turbin played against even worse talent. They are good NFL players and Wagner is going to be great. Ansah is every bit the talent Wagner was coming out of college, but with even more athletic ability.

kearly

Reaction score
When Flynn wasn't being ultra conservative in game one or having 5 passes dropped by TO, he looked like an adept QB both in the preseason and regular season. He's somewhere between a rich man's Ryan Fitzpatrick and a poor man's Matt Ryan. And that's not even getting into the strong performances he had as a Packer. IMO, he's a better QB now than he was then, at least in terms of escapability and arm strength. He was widely considered to be the best backup QB in the NFL, although now that title probably belongs to Alex Smith.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Is there any thought though that Flynn is lazy? I realize that nobody is going to outwork Russell Wilson, but it seems from the Petespeak that he said "Russell did everything we asked him to do." To me that can also be construed as, "Matt didn't do everything we asked him to do."

The only reason I say that is I know for a fact that he was very disappointed in Charlie Whitehurst for the same thing. He has no patience for people who aren't totally immersing themselves and assuming the job is theirs. It seems this may have happened and if that's the case, word spreads quickly. NFL players, assistant coaches, scouts, and on and on talk. Everybody knows a lot. You have guys that have friends on every single team. If Flynn was lazy in his approach after showing up (remember the Gruden warning), then perhaps the rest of the league knows and that will ultimately hurt his value.

I also agree his play on the field is quite good. But teams don't want to build a team around a guy that hasn't been known at working particularly hard. Look how far McNabb fell when he basically stopped working out. He just showed his disinterest and thought he was deserving of the starter job wherever he went.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
Soooo Kansas City wants to trade out of the #1 pick because there isn't a QB worth drafting with that pick.......but then we trade it to the Jets because they want a QB?

Stephen a smith original display image

pinksheets

Reaction score
Do we believe Flynn is a QB who can win us a Superbowl?

If not, what's the difference between a high end QB who can't win us a Superbowl and a low end one? I think if we could trade him for improvements on the roster elsewhere and bring in someone else as a backup who might not be as good but is serviceable, you've got to do it.

But I've never thought Flynn was someone who could take us to the promised land. If you do, he's obviously the rarest gem there is in terms of a backup QB, and you can't trade him for anything lower than a 1st round pick +. If you don't believe he can win us a Superbowl, I don't see the fear in trading him for ANYTHING. As I see it, pretty much every season that you don't win the big game is the same in the long run.

That being said, we aren't going to get anything beyond mid-round value for Matt, and that's if we're lucky.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I think that whether or not we keep Flynn will most likely come down to cap space (providing we don't receive a very good offer). If Flynn's salary is an issue then I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of QBs drafted, Matt Scott and Aaron Murray perhaps, whose style may be better suited to our system than Flynn's.

endzorn

Reaction score
pinksheets":3te0r7xr said:

If not, what's the difference between a high end QB who can't win us a Superbowl and a low end one? I think if we could trade him for improvements on the roster elsewhere and bring in someone else as a backup who might not be as good but is serviceable, you've got to do it.
This makes no sense to me. If your backup isn't a Super Bowl caliber QB then you might as well have garbage? Flynn would give us a puncher's chance if Wilson went down and that's worth a ton to a contending team like us. I'd rather keep Flynn one more year.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Throwdown":ebovp0s0 said:
Geno Smith > Matt Flynn

thats all I gotta say about that.

That, I would disagree with. G Smith is more of a physical specimen but I don't see a complete game from him. And it will only get worse when he faces NFL defenses.

I believe there is a good chance that Crennell survives in KC this year and he will want a proven winner right away. Matt Flynn is not Matt Cassell, he is much better. Flynn's college and NFL experience give him a better base to play from while Cassell succeeded in New England with Josh McDaniels calling the offense to benefit him.

And I don't see a QB that is a #1 overall pick right now. Personally, if I had to choose, I'd pick Matt Barkely first overall because he is an excellent QB and only his recent struggles have dropped him out of the running for the first pick. I attribute a lot of that to his head coach.

The Chiefs have a very good team but they need a good QB and a #1 WR if Bowe doesn't come back. They can get both by trading out of the 1st spot.

And yes, the Jets do need a QB, badly. I bet they would jump at the chance to move up and select either Barkely or G. Smith. They can then let him sit until they are able to get out from under that laughable contract that they gave to Snatchez.

Having a new QB in the wings in NY can preserve Rex's career because then it will look like he is headed in the right direction. He can play the "Sanchize" for the first few games, then dump him for the rookie. That would be the best route for someone like Geno to acclimatize to the NFL. If they get Barkely, I'd start him right away.

Either way, I see Flynn as an opportunity to move up in the first round and get that defensive lineman that will put this defense over the top. IMHO, a pass rushing DT is our #1 priority because we are giving the QB too much time in the pocket. We can then pick up a good WR in the 2nd round. It wouldn't surprise me if Patterson fell in to the 2nd round based on his inconsistencies and lack of urgency in games. Too many times he "saunters" back to the huddle or to the sideline after a play. Something that would change with RW on his ass.

pinksheets

Reaction score
endzorn":2wmdpope said:
pinksheets":2wmdpope said:

This makes no sense to me. If your backup isn't a Super Bowl caliber QB then you might as well have garbage? Flynn would give us a puncher's chance if Wilson went down and that's worth a ton to a contending team like us. I'd rather keep Flynn one more year.
Yeah, but by saying Flynn gives us a puncher's chance you're implying he could get us to and win a Superbowl, right? If you believe that, obviously he's invaluable. If you don't believe that he could pull that off, I don't see the point in nitpicking about whether or not it's Matt Flynn, Josh Johnson, or Tarvaris Jackson who come in. The vast majority of teams in the NFL would have to say their season, at the very least in terms of Superbowl chances, would be over if their starting QB went down for the year with injury. If we're in that boat, I'd move a backup QB no question to another team if I could get draft capital and sign someone else to fill the spot, but if I believe he gives us that puncher's chance (not that he's a top 5 Superbowl champion type) then I'd hold onto him for dear life.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't see any reason to shop Flynn. His value is vastly overrated in the OP, but as Kearly said, he does have value to us. I'm sure JS would entertain any offers that might come our way, but the team has no needs so drastic that they need to aggressively try to turn his roster spot into something else.

A big part of the Schneider philosophy is to avoid trades just like this proposal, and draft wisely instead. So, if some team makes an offer we can't refuse, fine, but I don't see JS going out and actively seeking some kind of deal.

endzorn

Reaction score
pinksheets":2cyzgnx2 said:
endzorn":2cyzgnx2 said:
pinksheets":2cyzgnx2 said:

Yeah, but by saying Flynn gives us a puncher's chance you're implying he could get us to and win a Superbowl, right? If you believe that, obviously he's invaluable. If you don't believe that he could pull that off, I don't see the point in nitpicking about whether or not it's Matt Flynn, Josh Johnson, or Tarvaris Jackson who come in. The vast majority of teams in the NFL would have to say their season, at the very least in terms of Superbowl chances, would be over if their starting QB went down for the year with injury. If we're in that boat, I'd move a backup QB no question to another team if I could get draft capital and sign someone else to fill the spot, but if I believe he gives us that puncher's chance (not that he's a top 5 Superbowl champion type) then I'd hold onto him for dear life.

Why even carry a backup QB then? Why not use that roster spot for something else and if your QB goes down just kneel on it every play?

Flynn would give us a chance. I'm not saying we wouldn't miss a beat, but we'd have a chance to win in the playoffs with him. I'd rather have a small chance than just give up and wait til next year.