Mock draft - 28th november (two rounds)

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
4ee916988fbe0.preview-620.jpg

Some people like these things. Two rounds today. Feel free to pass comment. I try to think outside of the box.

LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/updated-mo ... h-november

The Seahawks go defensive tackle and tight end this week. I think between now and April we’ll hear about the front office being smitten with Stanford tight end Zach Ertz. Seattle’s coaches showed a lot of interest in Coby Fleener last year, and Ertz is a superior player. In this mock, he’s a top-15 pick. If he drifts a little or if the Seahawks miss the post-season, then he comes into play as a legit option. He’s a tremendous run blocker which would allow the offense to make even more use of their 2TE sets. He can also be used as a third down target with experience working outside and in the slot. Despite the investment in Zach Miller for 2013 (I expect his contract will be negotiated down), Ertz has value that transcends that of a normal tight end. He could prove to be Seattle’s ideal pick. In this projection the Seahawks take a pure pass-catching tight end in round two in San Diego State’s Gavin Escobar. He’d be used differently to Ertz, but he has explosive potential as a field-stretching playmaker.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Anthony McCoy has made some crucial plays in support of the run this year, and is cheap. With two run-blocking TE's thus already on the roster, I'm not sure I agree that Ertz will be a huge target for Seattle. Kellen Winslow's brief tenure as a Seahawk tells me that PC is looking for more of a pass-catching threat, which would fit Escobar better.

CPHawk

Reaction score
2 things- One what if Browner and Sherm get suspended and we miss the playoffs?

Second thing, if Kennan Allen is there in the 2nd round and we take a TE from SDSU, I'm sure more then one Seattle fan will throw something at the TV.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1s74blo6 said:
Anthony McCoy has made some crucial plays in support of the run this year, and is cheap. With two run-blocking TE's thus already on the roster, I'm not sure I agree that Ertz will be a huge target for Seattle. Kellen Winslow's brief tenure as a Seahawk tells me that PC is looking for more of a pass-catching threat, which would fit Escobar better.

Why not have both? Ertz is a pass catching threat - he lines up as Stanford's primary receiver when they throw the ball. It's just that he's also a tremendous run blocker. He could be the complete tight end.

CPHawk":1s74blo6 said:
2 things- One what if Browner and Sherm get suspended and we miss the playoffs?

Second thing, if Kennan Allen is there in the 2nd round and we take a TE from SDSU, I'm sure more then one Seattle fan will throw something at the TV.

Let them throw stuff. Allen is living off the hype machine and pre-season projections. He ran a 4.57 in high school and has added 20lbs since then. He will need to explode at the combine and who knows if he's even going to be there after this knee injury.

As for what if we miss the playoffs - well then when that happens the order will change. I'm basing the draft order on current rankings.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I could get behind this. It is clear teams have found a weakness in our running D up the middle. We also need help at Hill and Trufant's positions, but I am hoping the guys waiting in line will be ready next year. If Thurmond can get healthy he should be a solid nickel corner and we have a handful of young linebackers who hopefully can emerge as starters. Also would love to get a big playmaking TE. Miller is solid close to the line of scrimmage but will never be Witten/Gronk/Graham/etc.

My dream scenario at this point would be to trade back later into the first and get Tayvon Austin with another 3rd/4th. I just really think he's the type of guy who can hit a homerun anytime he touches the ball. WV gets him the ball in so many situations and he just makes plays. What is your opinion on how 'NFL ready' he would be? I've watched a decent amount of his games but haven't focused on how precise his routes are or other learning curves college WR have going into the NFL.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think with Austin you have to create packages for him, and I'm not sure that's something Seattle will necessarily want to do. He's never going to be a pure receiver - he will be an electrifying playmaker if you can get him the ball in space. It's just how do you do that? He's got the same kind of spark as Percy Harvin, but he looks smaller in stature and won't be able to do some of the things Harvin does. I think a team like Atlanta would be a good fit, because you have the two big guys outside and you can use him underneath or in specific packages. In Seattle, he probably just ends up running deep and taking the occasional reverse. I really like Austin's spark and from day one he'll be a kick return threat, even if he takes a while to have an impact as a receiver. But I'm not sure the Seahawks will take a small, fast receiver early.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Good mock, Rob. I could see DT + TE being a real possibility.

I've learned not to take any mock too serious, but I do like reading them because they always introduce me to new players I've never really even heard about, like Escobar. I can't find any tape on him, yet, but now I know about him and will keep an eye out for him in the bowl game or combine or whatever else, so thanks for your work and keep it up!

theENGLISHseahawk":kqnrbn4n said:
Let them throw stuff. Allen is living off the hype machine and pre-season projections. He ran a 4.57 in high school and has added 20lbs since then. He will need to explode at the combine and who knows if he's even going to be there after this knee injury.

My opinion, but Allen is one of the most complete receivers in this draft and that's without the hype machine, just game tape. If he was there in the 2nd I would be one of those guys screaming at the TV to draft him, but, again, that's my opinion. I could be wrong. I will say this, he's not a speed receiver, but with a healthy knee he'll run faster than a 4.57, and probably in the late 4.4s. He's got damn good acceleration for his size and I don't see the added 20 lbs of weight (presumably muscle) after high school slowing him down further like it seems your suggesting, but should actually benefit him. Think about Olympic sprinters. Those guys are ripped and faster and bigger than they were in high school. Muscle (specifically fast twitch muscles) adds speed. It doesn't diminish it.

Edit to add: I just re-watched the UCLA vs Cal game (skip to 1:32:42 for a good ex. of Allen's skills) Hell, if he's there at our first round pick, I'll be screaming at the TV then, too :lol:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":72il6p8b said:
MontanaHawk05":72il6p8b said:

Why not have both? Ertz is a pass catching threat - he lines up as Stanford's primary receiver when they throw the ball. It's just that he's also a tremendous run blocker. He could be the complete tight end.

Well, I guess just because many (including you) have bigger priorities in Round 1 than a duplicate of Zach Miller. Pretty much the only reason.

ivotuk

Reaction score

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I'd still lean towards a DT and a WR with home run speed. I am ok with the TE's we have even with Zack's cost. If I couldn't get a 2nd round WR that I was high on a weak side LB would be a need on on my list. Hill is starting to show his age. That said , I don't think a LB is a high value position for a high draft pick. I wish they would really consider moving Chancellor to the weak side LB, I really believe he would excellent.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
I think if this offense can prove that it can consistently find success in the pass game like it has over the last 7 weeks or so we won't be picking up a WR till the later rounds. With that said I like the fact of us getting a DT as long as it is Star Lotulelei. He may not be consistent right now with effort but i think Pete can get that out of him. If we can't get a DT that has the presence of Suh or Geno Atkins, Smith then i don't see the point in getting one. Our ultimate struggle right now is being able to get pressure with 4 down lineman in our base package particularly A gap pressure from our tackles. I like Red Bryant for his run stuffing ability but elite defenses typically have DL that play every snap. So at times i think that hurts us. With that said if we cant get Star i hope we can get Ogletree. Second round i would like to see a ROT drafted. I know offensive line play takes continuity but i just do not see our line physically taking it to our opponent. I also still have that play in my mind from the 49ers game when Aldon Smith literally threw Giacomini on his ass and got to Russell. If we are going to have a great offense our tackles have got to be able to handle their matchup 1v1 and win the majority of the time so our interior line can focus on help and blitz pickup depending on where it is coming from. We have been seeing Russell get pressured up the middle and from the right side a lot this year. The amazing thing is he is still able to make plays from broken plays like that. I know English and someone else has touched on it. But i would like to even see Ansah drafted out of BYU. He's not an extreme need right now but you don't see guys like this often. Let him play situationally for a couple years and when Red's time is done have him take over that spot. Just some thoughts but overall i love there are other people like me in English that are constantly watching and doing research on draft prospects keeps the lull between games at a minimum.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
Kelly.Orr":18abyeml said:
I think if this offense can prove that it can consistently find success in the pass game like it has over the last 7 weeks or so we won't be picking up a WR till the later rounds. With that said I like the fact of us getting a DT as long as it is Star Lotulelei. He may not be consistent right now with effort but i think Pete can get that out of him. If we can't get a DT that has the presence of Suh or Geno Atkins, Smith then i don't see the point in getting one. Our ultimate struggle right now is being able to get pressure with 4 down lineman in our base package particularly A gap pressure from our tackles. I like Red Bryant for his run stuffing ability but elite defenses typically have DL that play every snap. So at times i think that hurts us. With that said if we cant get Star i hope we can get Ogletree. Second round i would like to see a ROT drafted. I know offensive line play takes continuity but i just do not see our line physically taking it to our opponent. I also still have that play in my mind from the 49ers game when Aldon Smith literally threw Giacomini on his ass and got to Russell. If we are going to have a great offense our tackles have got to be able to handle their matchup 1v1 and win the majority of the time so our interior line can focus on help and blitz pickup depending on where it is coming from. We have been seeing Russell get pressured up the middle and from the right side a lot this year. The amazing thing is he is still able to make plays from broken plays like that. I know English and someone else has touched on it. But i would like to even see Ansah drafted out of BYU. He's not an extreme need right now but you don't see guys like this often. Let him play situationally for a couple years and when Red's time is done have him take over that spot. Just some thoughts but overall i love there are other people like me in English that are constantly watching and doing research on draft prospects keeps the lull between games at a minimum.
I agree with you on o line, also I think the Sly pick is not just for run d. I believe he is saying he will be an upgrade to interior pass rush as well. The 3 tech everyone wants, and the FO drafted Jaye Howard for that same reason.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
BAllenHawk":2uboh4sn said:
Kelly.Orr":2uboh4sn said:
I agree with you on o line, also I think the Sly pick is not just for run d. I believe he is saying he will be an upgrade to interior pass rush as well. The 3 tech everyone wants, and the FO drafted Jaye Howard for that same reason.

Yeah i know what you guys are both saying ballen its just i think we need that elite difference maker from the DT spot and i am not quite sold on the potential of anyone but Star. Sylvester is going to need some work for his pass rush to be consistent. We will see this FO has done well. I trust them to do what will best help the team. Although it is fun hearing and discussing everyone's opinions and trying to predict who we will get.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I would like a good DT as well. However, how do know we don't already have him on the team? I ask this because SCruggs and Howard were drafted to play @ 3-tech and in Scruggs case on the outside. PC has said if Red can't go this week that BRanch would go out to his spot and Scruggs would start @ 3-tech. To me that says alot about what they think of him.

Also I don't think we'll be taking a WILL backer with a high pick. I have a suspicion that Toomer or perhaps Malcolm Smith will rise to the occasion. Both are very athletic and both will be more confortable with the scheme with another offseason.

I would really like Escobar or Ertz. Both seem to be really explosive. Ertz is averaging 13.0 yards a catch. Escobar is @ 12.7 yards a catch. If you've got 2 dynamic TE's than you can really wreck havok in the redzone with 2 TE sets. Teams won't know who's blocking or who's releasing out.

I am warming up to the Tennessee WR though. I would like to add more offensive weapons in this draft. We've spend more picks on defense than on offense We've had 28 picks over these 3 years and only 9 of those have been spend on offensive players (10 if you count Konz).

Of those 9 picks we've taken= 4- Offensive lineman, 2- WR's, 1-TE, 1-RB, 1-QB. But to be fair in the Undrafted Free agent market we've netted another 2 WR's and a promising looking Guard among other things. This draft will be very very interesting to see where Seattle goes.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
Kelly.Orr":15pew8zl said:
BAllenHawk":15pew8zl said:
Kelly.Orr":15pew8zl said:

Yeah i know what you guys are both saying ballen its just i think we need that elite difference maker from the DT spot and i am not quite sold on the potential of anyone but Star. Sylvester is going to need some work for his pass rush to be consistent. We will see this FO has done well. I trust them to do what will best help the team. Although it is fun hearing and discussing everyone's opinions and trying to predict who we will get.
Absolutely, I would love for them to get Star, it's just gonna take a trade up which I don't see this FO doing. This is why I'm advocating for a 1st round RT.

Latest posts