A thought for Duck fans... and I guess for Duck haters

JSeahawks

Reaction score
We may have watched Chip Kelly coach his last Duck game today.

Wouldnt surprise me at all if he is already an NFL coach by our bowl game. Fiesta Bowl vs K State or Oklahoma, depending on if K STate wins vs Texas next week. Let the Mark Helfrich era begin!

redeye81

Reaction score
No one hates the ducks.. they just are not good enough.. sorry man..

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
redeye81":36qqhchj said:

Ask Sports Hernia, Tech worlds, Jkitsune, Pehawk, many other posters on this site and practically every Beaver fan and most Husky fans if anybody hates the Ducks.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
JSeahawks":z4r2icsb said:
redeye81":z4r2icsb said:

Ask Sports Hernia, Tech worlds, Jkitsune, Pehawk, practically every Beaver fan and most Husky fans if anybody hates the Ducks.

I hate em. But they win so they have alot of bandwagon fans. Where were the duck fans during the 90's? Non existent.

But they win so I have to keep my mouth shut. But all things eventually come to an end and when that happens I will be there to enjoy it.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1zvujued said:
JSeahawks":1zvujued said:
redeye81":1zvujued said:

Ask Sports Hernia, Tech worlds, Jkitsune, Pehawk, practically every Beaver fan and most Husky fans if anybody hates the Ducks.

I hate em. But they win so they have alot of bandwagon fans. Where were the duck fans during the 90's? Non existent.

But they win so I have to keep my mouth shut. But all things eventually come to an end and when that happens I will be there to enjoy it.

I knew I could count on you to back me up!

ivotuk

Reaction score
I just don't see Kelly making it in the NFL. He's a great college coach but he's no Pete Carroll, but instead a Nick Saban. His offense could be successful, but he needs to put more emphasis on defense, like the other Kelly does. Until he does, he will never win a National Championship.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
ivotuk":1bedhpou said:
I just don't see Kelly making it in the NFL. He's a great college coach but he's no Pete Carroll, but instead a Nick Saban. His offense could be successful, but he needs to put more emphasis on defense, like the other Kelly does. Until he does, he will never win a National Championship.

I don't see why he couldn't be successful. All he has to do is get a decent defensive coordinator and not get in the way.

jkitsune

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1z8vee9r said:
redeye81":1z8vee9r said:

Ask Sports Hernia, Tech worlds, Jkitsune, Pehawk, many other posters on this site and practically every Beaver fan and most Husky fans if anybody hates the Ducks.

I hate them so bad. The day we finally beat the Ducks again is going to be a great, great day to be a Husky fan. And I hate them so much more because you're happy when they win.... :thirishdrinkers:

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
jkitsune":1xss2vch said:
JSeahawks":1xss2vch said:
redeye81":1xss2vch said:

I hate them so bad. The day we finally beat the Ducks again is going to be a great, great day to be a Husky fan. And I hate them so much more because you're happy when they win.... :thirishdrinkers:

And i'm sure yo'ull be rushing the field :roll:

:lol: (actually i'll support the rushing the field that time)

seahawk2k

Reaction score
There's an over emphasis on scheme with Kelly rather than philosophy. If he's successful in the NFL, it will be because of the latter, not the former.

Throwdown

Reaction score
i despise Oregon so much, so yes people care enough to hate 'em.

I hate 'em so much I threw Pac12 love out the window when they were in the National Title game vs Auburn and rooted for Auburn.

SEC FAN

Reaction score
Thought I would mention Florida beat #4 LSU, #7 South Carolina, and #10 Florida State and only lost 1 game, like you, to the #3 ranked team in the nation (Georgia) and they aren't playing for a National Championship either. I know it sucks. Gator fans can relate.

Oregon didn't beat a top 10 team all season. In fact the best team they faced, #13 Stanford, they lost.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Sorry your coach is leaving. That's never a good feeling. Where do you think he'll end up? Cleveland maybe? I think Arizona might be a good landing spot for him since they have a good defense in place. I honestly thought he was going to Tampa last year. I think it wouldn't have been too bad of a move because they have good D and have some young playmakers and Vincent Jackson. But he needs to get in a situation where he wins pretty early or people will question him I think. That is why I don't know if I'd take the Cleveland job if I were him. The owner seems like a meddler already having fired Holmgren and basically doing the same to Shurmur.

Shurmur will go somewhere and be a good offensive coordinator, that is another thing that should scare Chip away from Cleveland. Shurmur has talent there and is a good offensive coach and didn't get a lot out of those guys. He needs to go somewhere established. I guess probably his best option for established talent is Philly, but they need a good defensive coordinator (or maybe a great one) and the media would be brutal from day 1. It sounds funny, but a situation like Seattle had a couple of years ago would be perfect for Kelly. Low-key, good media, strong fan base, willingness of ownership to let him do his thing. I'm sure if Seattle hadn't gotten Pete they would have kept Mora around and would have gone hard after Chip when the time arose (like say after last season if they were still in the hunt for a coach). I guess San Diego could be like that, but it will require the removal of AJ and give Chip say in personnel like Pete has in Seattle. It will be interesting for sure. I think it would be cool to see what he could/would do with Philip Rivers. I don't think he'd make him run the spread option, but I think he could do some good things, because Rivers is a guy that needs good coaching and can be absolutely dominant.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1xips6zl said:
Sorry your coach is leaving. That's never a good feeling. Where do you think he'll end up? Cleveland maybe? I think Arizona might be a good landing spot for him since they have a good defense in place. I honestly thought he was going to Tampa last year. I think it wouldn't have been too bad of a move because they have good D and have some young playmakers and Vincent Jackson. But he needs to get in a situation where he wins pretty early or people will question him I think. That is why I don't know if I'd take the Cleveland job if I were him. The owner seems like a meddler already having fired Holmgren and basically doing the same to Shurmur.

Shurmur will go somewhere and be a good offensive coordinator, that is another thing that should scare Chip away from Cleveland. Shurmur has talent there and is a good offensive coach and didn't get a lot out of those guys. He needs to go somewhere established. I guess probably his best option for established talent is Philly, but they need a good defensive coordinator (or maybe a great one) and the media would be brutal from day 1. It sounds funny, but a situation like Seattle had a couple of years ago would be perfect for Kelly. Low-key, good media, strong fan base, willingness of ownership to let him do his thing. I'm sure if Seattle hadn't gotten Pete they would have kept Mora around and would have gone hard after Chip when the time arose (like say after last season if they were still in the hunt for a coach). I guess San Diego could be like that, but it will require the removal of AJ and give Chip say in personnel like Pete has in Seattle. It will be interesting for sure. I think it would be cool to see what he could/would do with Philip Rivers. I don't think he'd make him run the spread option, but I think he could do some good things, because Rivers is a guy that needs good coaching and can be absolutely dominant.

If I had to take a guess I woudl say Philly, but its a total guess. Mortenson and Adam Schefter have both said that Chip is the number 1 target on a lot of teams boards so it really could be anywhere. He's a northeast guy though so I wouldnt be surprised to see him over there.

Maybe the New York Jets. As much as we all hate on Tebow, he might be a good fit for what Chip Kelly would want to run in the NFL.

Dallas is another possibility since I think jerry jones will want a "sexy" hire. But i'm not sure Chip would want to deal with teh bullshit that goes along with that job.

There's also a possibility he comes back to Oregon for one more run with Mariota but I think its probably 85% that he'll be somewhere in the NFL.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Man... for his own sake I hope he doesn't pick Dallas. I hope that job turns into the same thing that the Raiders job turns into. Al Davis offered the job to something like 5 guys before he got anybody to bite a few years ago. He even offered it to Sarkisian before he was anywhere ready to be a head coach. I think Dallas is going to end up in a similar situation where people just don't want to work for Jerry Jones. You're 100% right. He's a control freak and there is too much crap that goes along with it. I was glad to see Jimmy Johnson defend himself and flat out say Jerry lied when he said he was the GM when Jimmy was there and he had final say on personnel. Jimmy said he'd show his contract and where it said straight out that he had 100% final say. It was in his contract and Jones acts like it wasn't and he assembled that team, and then he kind of backs off slightly. Jimmy isn't my favorite guy in the world, but he deserves 100% of the credit for that team, especially after all of the grief he took for replacing Landry. He came in and won and won a lot, and the team has gotten progressively worse since he left.

That should tell you something. I think Chip would be wise to avoid Dallas, and if he is going to be a great success I hope he avoids Arizona! I think he's going to do fine. I think it will be an adjustment, but he doesn't seem like a guy who is so tied to his system that he won't do what it takes to win. It seems more like he uses the system that will help him win and not giving his system all of the credit, but rather being creative enough to find a system that works for his team. I think of it like the Princeton basketball team. They play that total slowdown, but they do it because that is what is best for helping them to win. They can't play the run and gun and win. They have to use a certain tempo. I think any coach with half a brain realizes that tempo is key in the NFL and if one way doesn't work you need to adjust, not the other way around. I think that is what Spurrier just couldn't quite figure out. Petrino couldn't handle the fact that he couldn't manhandle his players without having them smart off right back to him and tell him to shut up. So he didn't even have the guts to face them when he quit. Kelly doesn't strike me as that type of guy.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Good point. Newton is familiar with that offense. He wouldn't have to change up what he does much to fit personnel. He has a couple of good RB's, a good wideout, and a stellar running and throwing QB who has shown he can do it before in Newton.

cesame

Reaction score
Chris Petersen could be a seamless transition for Oregon.

That said, there's a chance the Ducks might just promote Mark Helfrich.

The Ducks are in a good position either way. Love ya Uncle Phil!

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":2n33op8y said:
Chris Petersen could be a seamless transition for Oregon.

That said, there's a chance the Ducks might just promote Mark Helfrich.

The Ducks are in a good position either way. Love ya Uncle Phil!

Ducks beat writer says its going to be Helfrich, which I think is the right decision. The Ducks have always had a hire from within philosophy from Brooks to Bellotti to Kelly, and I think that trend should be continued for as much continuity as possible. I'd be fine with Petersen but only if he didnt mess with our offensive system.

I think the biggest thing we'd lose with Chip is some of the swagger that he brings, but I think we'll be just fine moving forward as long as we've got the Nike factor and the top level facilities.

Latest posts