Some assorted thoughts on UW and Cal

kearly

Reaction score
-Jeff Tedford is kind of the Andy Reid of the college ranks. For almost a decade, he was among the best coaches in his conference, but after just two recent losing seasons it seems everyone is ready to give him the boot. And maybe, if a great coach becomes available, moving on from Tedford could be the right move. However, I think Cal's decline probably has more to do with Zach Maynard than Tedford. Maynard is basically Cal's version of Tarvaris Jackson. He's mobile, he's got a great arm, and he's a pretty bad QB. And like how Jackson became our starter as a means of getting Sidney Rice, Maynard was brought in as a "package deal" with his half-brother Keenen Allen, a highly touted WR. My memories of T-jack are positive ones, but that's probably because he didn't stay here very long. Tedford will probably be fired, and I don't think he is what he once was as a coaching force, but I also think that he probably deserves one season without Maynard to try and redeem himself.

-I know Cal isn't very good, and that this was a pretty ugly game (it's been a while since I've seen a game with so many fumbles), but UW is finally turning into the team Husky fans hoped it would be before the season. Last week I talked about the switch between pro-style and read-option and back again... and how Price needed the pro-style and Sankey needed the read option. This was a very encouraging week because the team ran a pro-style offense and for the first time ever, both Price and Sankey had good games at the same time while playing the same system.

-Sankey had a couple of fumbles, but otherwise looked terrific. Sankey had 189 yards rushing and two TDs, and he did it with smart, optimal, physical running and not with big plays. It was very Chris Polk like. This causes me to suspect that whoever Sark has coaching up RBs is a hell of a coach. Chris Polk had a terrible start to his career the year before Sark arrived, too. Sankey intelligently took what the defense gave him and would often dive to maximize yardage when a bigger opportunity was not available. It's one of the things I really loved about Chris Polk and I'm very excited to see those tendencies in Sankey as well. Sankey is not a naturally strong back, but he's really come a long ways in terms of churning his legs and running with a lean. Like Chris Polk and Julius Jones, Sankey has developed a nice spin move and has improved his balance to keep plays going.

-Kendyl Taylor had another solid game as a change of pace back.

-I can scarcely believe this is the almost the same defensive personnel as last year. This defense can rush the passer, and it plays with the kind of attitude we're used to seeing from the Seahawks.

-When ASJ and Kasen Williams came to UW, it seemed to me that most of the hype was for Williams. That seems to be changing now. Kasen Williams is a shifty WR with good hands that's so-so at getting open. He strikes me as a future 3rd or 4th round pick with a decent NFL future. ASJ hasn't even finished his second year, but if he retired today he'd arguably be the best TE in team history. He's over 1000 yards with 10 TD's, the latter is tied for the UW TE record. If ASJ isn't a top 15 pick in 2014, I'll be pretty surprised. People will compare him to Antonio Gates because of the basketball connection or Rob Gronkowski because of his size and physicality. Those aren't bad comparisons, but to me the closest player might be Megatron, even though Johnson is a WR and runs much faster. ASJ is not a freak of nature like Johnson is, but he reminds me of the Lions' standout because when he goes up, he feels destined to come down with the ball in his hands. There is not a jump ball he can't win. It does not even matter if you put a corner on him.

-If Seattle was picking in the late 20s in 2014, I would seriously consider a Julio Jones type trade for ASJ. Everything he's done so far indicates that he'll have a very bright NFL future, and he'd be tailor made for our type of offense and QB.

-UW's offensive line has quietly turned things around. After a horrible start compounded with a rash or injuries, they've bounced back in a way I could have never anticipated. This might be the best run blocking line they've had since the Neuheisel era, and the pass protection has actually been really decent too. It's not a great line, but tonight, they actually looked good. And it's been a very long time since I've felt that way about UW's line.

-Maybe it's just me, but Bishop Sankey physically looks he could be Golden Tate's younger brother. It must be how the eyebrows peer our of their facemasks. I dunno.

canzag

Reaction score
Very good thoughts on the game again.Thanks so much for your efforts.Question though-where do you see Desmond going in the draft and are thier any other Husky seniors having a shot to hear thier name called?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
How you could take anything positive from that game is beyond me. That was one of the worst played football games i've ever seen. (and the Husky fans in the game thread were in agreement with that.. so its not just cuz i'm a Ducks fan).

ASJ had good numbers, but its because Cal was playing him one on one with a Kelly Jennings clone, maybe the dumbest coaching move i've seen all year.. Sankey was pretty good when he wasnt fumbling. Other then that, that game was a complete embarassment for the pac 12.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
The game was sloppy and uninspiring. Both teams played hard, but did not play well. To say that you can't take anything positive from that game is arrogant and a little naive. First, you take a win, second, aside from third downs, the Huskies defense once again played well, especially given the situations they were put in. It's important to remember that these are two very young, injury riddled teams. Cal always has a good front seven and the Huskies really ran the ball well.

In regards to Tedford, I believe he deserves one more season, but its not like he just recently had a couple of bad years. His Cal teams have always been extremely talented, have always put a lot of players in the NFL, and have consistently underachieved. His teams have always lacked character. That comes from the coach. He got this reputation as a quarterback guru because of his work with Kyle Boller and Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers left after the 2004 season. Since then he's had quarterbacks like Ayoob, Nate Longshore, Brock Mansion, Kevin Reilly(name might be wrong), and now the awful Zack Maynard. Ayoob sucked, Longshore just didn't care, Mansion was a statue, Reilly was the best of the lot and he was short and had a weak arm. His mediocre offenses have actually been propped up by pretty solid defenses of years. I'd give him one more year, unless, like you said Kearly, they have a gem they can bring in. Cal was an absolute joke before he got there and I think he gets a lot of leverage because of it.

chris98251

Reaction score
ASJ looks like

BfZPrwBWkKGrHqUOKj0ErzNsMiv7BLBHnHffLw 35

Harold Carmichael

Lee Harold Carmichael

Position: WR-TE
Height: 6-8 Weight: 225 lbs.

Born: September 22, 1949 in Jacksonville, FL (Age 63)
College: Southern (school history)
Drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 7th round (161st overall) of the 1971 NFL Draft.

But more physical and a bit heavier.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2j5kt9kq said:
How you could take anything positive from that game is beyond me. That was one of the worst played football games i've ever seen. (and the Husky fans in the game thread were in agreement with that.. so its not just cuz i'm a Ducks fan).

ASJ had good numbers, but its because Cal was playing him one on one with a Kelly Jennings clone, maybe the dumbest coaching move i've seen all year.. Sankey was pretty good when he wasnt fumbling. Other then that, that game was a complete embarassment for the pac 12.

I disagree. There were a ton of fumbles, but there was also a lot of offense and big plays. To me, ugly football means watching two incompetent offenses. Both offenses looked really good, but the scoring was held in check by a rash of fumbles, which is really just luck/randomness.

canzag":2j5kt9kq said:
Very good thoughts on the game again.Thanks so much for your efforts.Question though-where do you see Desmond going in the draft and are thier any other Husky seniors having a shot to hear thier name called?

I have absolutely no idea. Gut feeling? 4th round.

seahawk2k":2j5kt9kq said:
In regards to Tedford, I believe he deserves one more season, but its not like he just recently had a couple of bad years. His Cal teams have always been extremely talented, have always put a lot of players in the NFL, and have consistently underachieved. His teams have always lacked character. That comes from the coach. He got this reputation as a quarterback guru because of his work with Kyle Boller and Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers left after the 2004 season. Since then he's had quarterbacks like Ayoob, Nate Longshore, Brock Mansion, Kevin Reilly(name might be wrong), and now the awful Zack Maynard. Ayoob sucked, Longshore just didn't care, Mansion was a statue, Reilly was the best of the lot and he was short and had a weak arm. His mediocre offenses have actually been propped up by pretty solid defenses of years. I'd give him one more year, unless, like you said Kearly, they have a gem they can bring in. Cal was an absolute joke before he got there and I think he gets a lot of leverage because of it.

That plus Ayoob is booya in reverse.