OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
Aaron Curry and him are polar opposites and curry is an idiot

chris98251

Reaction score
Go ahead and try the can't miss arguement here, Brian Bosworth played admirable at least a couple years but was also a can't miss, Curry is just a bad dream.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Teo is only in the conversation for a heisman because he is at ND. Put him anywhere else and he wouldn't even get a vote. Oh and the pick hit the ground and he lost possession, horrible call.

SuperHawks

Reaction score
CPHawk":2tv71wb2 said:
Teo is only in the conversation for a heisman because he is at ND. Put him anywhere else and he wouldn't even get a vote.

I've seen plenty of absolutely ridiculous things on here over the years but this has got to be near the top.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
1. Matt Flynn for the 13th pick? Has Will Ferrell been appointed GM of a team in the National Football League?

2. Te'o is an inside linebacker. To accommodate this trade you'd have to move a player - Bobby Wagner - who is already playing at a Pro-Bowl level.

3. You don't trade the farm for a linebacker when two thirds of your linebacker group is excellent and the other player is league average. That's called 'good enough'.

CPHawk

Reaction score
SuperHawks":1j2y2x25 said:
CPHawk":1j2y2x25 said:
Teo is only in the conversation for a heisman because he is at ND. Put him anywhere else and he wouldn't even get a vote.

I've seen plenty of absolutely ridiculous things on here over the years but this has got to be near the top.

Really? How many votes did Clay Mathews get or any of the other studs from SC over the years? All IMO just as good as Teo. If he played for UW he would be 12th in the vote, but thanks to the media always getting on their knees for all things ND he is now a leader for the Heisman.

Just in the SEC there are 2-3 LB I would take over him.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Te'o isn't known for his brilliance. I could tell you the story about his official visit to BYU (and a few others), but I won't since it's been a few years and I'll assume he's grown up some. His family isn't full of bright bulbs either. I can only imagine what would have happened had he kept his commitment to BYU and been lined up opposite of Kyle Van Noy. The plan was to have them play together for 4 years. Van Noy got arrested and redshirted a year. Te'o just did some terribly stupid things and then backed out on or had his offer rescinded (depending on who you ask). It wasn't a high point for college visits though. Hopefully he's turned the corner and makes better decisions. I'm not judging the guy. I love him and stick with him and hope he does really well every week (except when he played byu), but if he hasn't grown up a TON then he's going to have a really difficult adjustment to the NFL.

In my view Van Noy is every bit the player Te'o is. If he had gone to BYU you wouldn't be hearing Heisman talk on Manti, but if Kyle had gone to a PAC 10 (12) school or Notre Dame I think you'd be hearing the same talk about him that you're hearing about Manti now.

cover-2

Reaction score
I would rather wait until the 2nd round and draft Kansas St (OLB) Arthur Brown.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1s7wfog5 said:
Te'o isn't known for his brilliance. I could tell you the story about his official visit to BYU (and a few others), but I won't since it's been a few years and I'll assume he's grown up some. His family isn't full of bright bulbs either. I can only imagine what would have happened had he kept his commitment to BYU and been lined up opposite of Kyle Van Noy. The plan was to have them play together for 4 years. Van Noy got arrested and redshirted a year. Te'o just did some terribly stupid things and then backed out on or had his offer rescinded (depending on who you ask). It wasn't a high point for college visits though. Hopefully he's turned the corner and makes better decisions. I'm not judging the guy. I love him and stick with him and hope he does really well every week (except when he played byu), but if he hasn't grown up a TON then he's going to have a really difficult adjustment to the NFL.

In my view Van Noy is every bit the player Te'o is. If he had gone to BYU you wouldn't be hearing Heisman talk on Manti, but if Kyle had gone to a PAC 10 (12) school or Notre Dame I think you'd be hearing the same talk about him that you're hearing about Manti now.

Can you shed more light on the issues for those of us interested in learning more about Te'o?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2pbrar5q said:
SharkHawk":2pbrar5q said:

Can you shed more light on the issues for those of us interested in learning more about Te'o?

Nah, I shouldn't say too much. I can link you to some people's "reports" on what all took place. It wasn't good for Manti and he didn't show a lot of maturity. It isn't anything that would ruin a kid's draft status I don't think. He and his cousins are just universally known for doing stupid crap (he has a cousin that committed to BYU the same weekend he did that is the BIGGEST moron on the face of the earth... seriously... he has already been kicked out of two schools and lost two full ride scholarships). I think that is one of the main reasons he wanted to go to Notre Dame... to get away from a lot of the influences around him. Hawaii is an interesting place. The culture is interesting. Samoa and Tonga and Fiji as well. They play an important part in the history of my religion. His name (Manti) actually comes from the Book of Mormon, as do many of the polynesian names. The culture is ancient and strong and amazing. Don't get me wrong here in how this comes out. But there are also problems when the culture and the way things have been done for thousands of years conflict with modern day norms, values, mores, whatever you want to call them. Sometimes the island kids get together here at BYU and the U of Utah and things just get bad fast.

The majority of my friends and family are either black or polynesian, but I can see the reality of what goes on. There are events I've been to (like weddings) where full on gang-wars were ready to erupt. We've got a massive Island population here, and guys get together and do really really dumb stuff.

This wasn't Manti, but several years ago a cousin signed a letter of intent and was set to enroll in school the next day. He and his friends went for a drive. One remembered he hated this guy whose house they were near (right by my home). So thy saw him on the porch and shot and killed him. 5 young men went to prison. The kid who was riding in the car got 5 years and of course lost his scholly for "aiding and abetting" and "evading". He saw it happen and just ran for it. It scared the heck out of him. On their own, none of those boys would have killed that man. Together, it was like a natural thing to drive up and blow his head off. So messed up. The young man served 3 years and went on to play JC football and got an associates degree and has done ok in life.

Manti is one of those kids that was impressionable in high school. I think now it's more that he MAKES the impression and it's good. I think he got here and wanted to impress his cousins and did some flat out stupid crap that I think he probably really regrets now. If you were a GM though, you wouldn't think twice about it. The fact that it was BYU and he was the #1 Mormon athlete at the time put him under a huge microscope. Just like what Jabari Parker is going through right now. He's being called the next Jordan, the next Kobe, the next LeBron, etc. and he's trying to stay true to his faith and talk about his goals in life and what he wants to do, and gets a TON of pressure on him. That's what happened to Manti. He didn't handle it as well as I would have hoped, but I'm sure he would now. If I had a chance to draft him, I would. Sometimes being the "spokesperson" for a group is hard. Stanley Havili went through the same thing and so did Haloti Ngata. Both backed out on their BYU scholarships at the last moment and went to USC and U of O respectively, because they felt it would be less pressure on them from the religious standpoint, and that they'd get more chance at an NFL career (which is hooey.... good players get a chance no matter where they go... Ngata would have been a first rounder had he gone to BYU as well... going to BYU didn't hurt Dennis Pitta's draft standing).

Anyway, I probably shouldn't have said anything at all. I just felt like piping up because I like Manti, I support him, I love his family, but a few of those family members are knuckleheads and always want to be around causing crap and I hope he stays strong and continues to stay away from it as he's done so well while in college.

kearly

Reaction score
So he committed to BYU before going to ND? That's interesting.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Verbally yes. Then on his official visit, some bad stuff went down. Bronco Mendenhall rescinded his scholly. My thinking was that Bronco wanted Manti to say, "Whoa, wait... I shouldn't have done it and I do want to be at BYU" which is precisely what Van Noy did and is at BYU and is a monster that is getting tons of heat from the NFL and agents are sliming all around campus right now on Van Noy, Ansah, and Cody Hoffman. It's pretty bad. We've never had this many slimy types around.

The problem with the Te'o family situation is that it all just kind of came to a head and went really sour in one weekend. Mendenhall said he only wants guys that want to be at BYU to be at BYU, and recruiting has actually changed significantly due to the fallout of that decision (that was the same time period where Jake Heaps was the #1 recruit in the country and committed to BYU as a sophomore... he was going to play with Hoffman, Ross Apo, and the Te'o's and was very enthusiastic... now Heaps is at Kansas). It's obvious that things have gotten bad at the school because of the decisions of the Te'o guys and Heaps. Apo and Hoffman are still here. We have no QB though which hurts and that's 100% on Heaps for not wanting to work. It is a repeat of the Ben Olsen situation all over. Same crap happened and he transferred to UCLA.

Anyway, again... I will say that Manti is a good guy and I'd take him on my team in a second. I hope for nothing but the best for he and his family and I think he truly is an exemplary young man. I think going to Notre Dame made him decide who he really was and what he stood for and what he wanted his life to be. Getting out there on his own has paid big dividends and you can see it in his growth on the football field. He's an amazing kid.

Latest posts