Chip Kellys influence on the NFL.. specifically the Patriots

JSeahawks

Reaction score
A small snippet from the much larger article.

That’s why when Kelly walked into Gillette Stadium two years ago — and he’s been there three times total — ears perked up among the Patriots’ coaches, including Belichick.

Kelly had become friendly with former Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien while both were rising in the college ranks. The UNH coaching staff would visit Brown, where O’Brien was coaching, for pickup basketball games and to talk X’s and O’s.

Kelly told the Patriots he was moving to a no-huddle that only used one word to signify everything involved in a play.

Sideline calls take too long. Wristbands too.

One word is all that is needed.

Kelly’s overall message to the Patriots: Don’t put a limit on your players’ minds; they will learn whatever you teach them.

“I was interested to hear how he did it,” Belichick said. “I would say he expanded it to a different level and it was very interesting to understand what he was doing. Certainly I’ve learned a lot from talking to Chip about his experiences with it and how he does it and his procedure and all that.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/ ... story.html

pehawk

Reaction score
Kelly learned from the Patriots how to cheat; Bill spygate and Chip paying players.

Nah, Brock Huard, who I really respect, calls Chip "Belicheck". So, I think of him similarly.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think there's a lot of similarities between the two. They both seem to be grinders who dont have a whole lot to their lives other then football. Both are hated by the media and other fan bases but loved and adored by their players and their own fan bases. Both definatly have a lot of redass and sarcasm in their personality, but reportedly are pretty funny and light spirited behind closed doors.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Still waiting for the NCAA to say UO ever paid a player. Intresting the player in question has been cleared to play for Baylor, he must have received a large check. Next thing you know it will be found out local businesses are letting our players collect a pay check for not ever showing up for work, and Chip will get mad at the NCAA and take his ball and go home. Oh wait, that was what happened at UW, not Eugene.

knownone

Reaction score
How does Chip Kellys no huddle, high tempo offense, compare with Mike Holmgrens?

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
knownone":111svoff said:
How does Chip Kellys no huddle, high tempo offense, compare with Mike Holmgrens?

Holmgren believed in a nice fast tempo, in and out of huddles, but I dont think he ever utilized a true hurry up no huddle offense. If Holgmrens offense was fast then Kellys is a blur. They can get a play off every 7 or 8 seconds when they want to. Several times a game they're at the line of scrimmage right after a play ready to go again just waiting on the official to place the ball so they can snap it.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Holmgren wanted to keep his guys in rhythm and give his QB maximum time to see the field/take advantage of an error by the defense. It wasn't about wearing out a defense.

Chip just wants to get to the next play already.