Future Trippin' Fall cutdowns

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Future Trippin' Fall cutdowns
Mon May 13, 2019 10:20 am
  • John Schneider said another part of the season is the cut down to 53, when other teams have to cut good players.

    I think we still need some DE/DT help, and hope that there is a good DE that we missed on in the draft, that someone else cuts. Problem is, the guys I liked got drafted in the 3rd round, and I'm not sure any of them will get cut.

    Any favorites you're hoping for?
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 18900
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: Future Trippin' Fall cutdowns
Mon May 13, 2019 11:33 am
  • ivotuk wrote:John Schneider said another part of the season is the cut down to 53, when other teams have to cut good players.

    I think we still need some DE/DT help, and hope that there is a good DE that we missed on in the draft, that someone else cuts. Problem is, the guys I liked got drafted in the 3rd round, and I'm not sure any of them will get cut.

    Any favorites you're hoping for?


    A proven possession receiver.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1704
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am
    Location: Ravenna


Re: Future Trippin' Fall cutdowns
Tue May 14, 2019 11:31 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:John Schneider said another part of the season is the cut down to 53, when other teams have to cut good players.

    I think we still need some DE/DT help, and hope that there is a good DE that we missed on in the draft, that someone else cuts. Problem is, the guys I liked got drafted in the 3rd round, and I'm not sure any of them will get cut.

    Any favorites you're hoping for?


    A proven possession receiver.


    LOL. Way to put yourself out there. Domehawk with the cerebral response :P
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 18900
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: Future Trippin' Fall cutdowns
Tue May 14, 2019 12:36 pm
  • “We talk about those phases of free agency,” Schneider said after the draft. “There’s basically like three or four different phases, and we’re basically now heading into phase three.” [With the Ansah and others signing]
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 18900
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


Re: Future Trippin' Fall cutdowns
Tue May 14, 2019 1:03 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:John Schneider said another part of the season is the cut down to 53, when other teams have to cut good players.

    I think we still need some DE/DT help, and hope that there is a good DE that we missed on in the draft, that someone else cuts. Problem is, the guys I liked got drafted in the 3rd round, and I'm not sure any of them will get cut.

    Any favorites you're hoping for?


    A proven possession receiver.


    LOL. Way to put yourself out there. Domehawk with the cerebral response :P


    Yeah, I am letting my wishful thinking betray me, wanted N'Keal Harry bad.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1704
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am
    Location: Ravenna


Re: Future Trippin' Fall cutdowns
Tue May 14, 2019 4:34 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:Yeah, I am letting my wishful thinking betray me, wanted N'Keal Harry bad.


    There is going to be 4-5 N'Keal Harry type prospects in 2020. If one of the host of 'other' WRs don't pan out this year, we'll have opportunity to get one next year.

    Harry probably will have a very good career. I don't think he'd have the same career here that he will in NE. I suspect we'll still be in the market for a WR in next years' draft, as it looks exceptional.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2272
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 pm


Re: Future Trippin' Fall cutdowns
Tue May 14, 2019 4:41 pm
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:Yeah, I am letting my wishful thinking betray me, wanted N'Keal Harry bad.


    There is going to be 4-5 N'Keal Harry type prospects in 2020. If one of the host of 'other' WRs don't pan out this year, we'll have opportunity to get one next year.

    Harry probably will have a very good career. I don't think he'd have the same career here that he will in NE. I suspect we'll still be in the market for a WR in next years' draft, as it looks exceptional.


    I think there is a very good reason that he (Harry) is the 1st WR Belichick has ever taken in the 1st round. He fits the march-down-the-field possession receiver that Belichick has used to be the most successful coach/franchise in the history of NFL football. A really good possession receiver is invaluable as Steve Largetr, Baldwin, and a whole host of NFL receivers has proven. It's about converting 1st downs, do that or die.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1704
    Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am
    Location: Ravenna


Re: Future Trippin' Fall cutdowns
Tue May 14, 2019 4:59 pm
  • As for cutdown options:

    Teams in cap trouble:

    Bucs

    - Gerald McCoy. $0 dead money. 13m cash savings
    - Lavonte David. $0 dead, 9.75m savings

    Falcons

    - Grady Jarrett. 0 dead money and 15m in cap savings.

    Steelers

    Joe Haden. 1.9m dead. 10m savings

    Vikings

    Kyle Rudolph. $0 dead. 7.6m savings


    All of these teams are within 2m of the cap now. Basically not enough to pay for IR for the upcoming year. These players are all also on the last year of their deals. I'd expect almost all of them to get cut. Jarrett would seem unlikely but Atlanta really has a lot of bad contracts they doled out in the last 18 months. They have very little flexibility unless they cut 2-3 other players and incur some bigger dead money. And they already have almost 5m dead on the books right now.

    Other teams not in horrible shape:

    Arizona

    - DJ Swearinger. 0 dead, 4.4 savings. Team has a whopping 30m dead on books. Just drafted Deionte Thompson as cheap replacement

    Rams

    - Michael Brockers. 0.75 dead, 10m savings
    - Troy Hill. 0 dead, 2m savings
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2272
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 pm


Re: Future Trippin' Fall cutdowns
Tue May 21, 2019 11:33 am



It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:49 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests