The Big WR

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
The Big WR
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:23 pm
  • Are you on the "we need a Big WR" bandwagon? Here are some prospect that are project in the next 3 rounds.

we have some options
    DK Metcalf 6'3 228lb
    AJ Brown 6'1 228lb
    JJ Arcega-Whiteside 6'2 225lb
    Miles Boykin 6'4 220lb
    Riley Ridley 6'1 199lb
    Hakeen Butler 6'5 227lb
    Travis Fulgham 6'3 215lb
    Kelvin Harmon 6'3 221lb
    Emanuel Hall 6'2 201lb
    Jalen Hurd 6'5 226lb
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Re: The Big WR
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:28 pm
  • We could grab D. Sills in the forth round 6'3 " 203 if thats big enough for you. He scores alot. Great red zone connection .
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:32 pm
  • Boykin hasn’t had a ton of production, but his measurables are really good.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:35 pm
  • As long as they find one who's not some diva that thinks he should get every throw and thinks blocking is beneath him.

It's probably why they don't draft receivers high, though.

:twisted:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:36 pm
  • Only two WRs were taken in the first round. Not sure how deep this draft is at the position, but there should be a lot of good options left. Not against spending our 2nd on the right guy. Give Russell a shiny new target to go along with his contract. Expect them to draft one eventually, just a question of which pick.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:02 pm
  • Would still rather have Parris Campbell
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:06 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:Are you on the "we need a Big WR" bandwagon? Here are some prospect that are project in the next 3 rounds.

we have some options
    DK Metcalf 6'3 228lb
    AJ Brown 6'1 228lb
    JJ Arcega-Whiteside 6'2 225lb
    Miles Boykin 6'4 220lb
    Riley Ridley 6'1 199lb
    Hakeen Butler 6'5 227lb
    Travis Fulgham 6'3 215lb
    Kelvin Harmon 6'3 221lb
    Emanuel Hall 6'2 201lb
    Jalen Hurd 6'5 226lb

metcalf was #2 wr at ole miss, aj was #1
    butler reportedly drop a lot of passes
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:20 pm
  • I love them. But I don't want one for as long as Russell is our QB.

He doesn't pull the trigger on passes that big receivers need to be productive. Russell is a space thrower. Throw to the open area and let the guy go get it. He will throw into tight windows, but he's not very good at throwing to the elevated target. He excels throwing to lateral space and into the bucket. Not to a shoulder.

It's not a knock on Russell. He does what he does great. And you can win championships that way. But it's just not his strength. Unless a big receiver also has the short area quickness and agility of a Baldwin or Lockett.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:22 pm
  • With this offense I would rather have a WR than can run the scramble drill all day without quitting or getting tired.Smaller WRs seem to work better here. Quickness is more important IMO.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:24 pm
  • Campbell is Golden Tate polished already and is quicker and much better route runner, he cuts on a dime which in our offense now is ideal.

Any big WR we get needs to be 6'3 or taller and 225 or bigger and know how to use his body, catch with his hands and track a ball with his back to the QB for the deep ball to have success oh not a body catcher.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:55 pm
  • We don't need a big WR, we need a good WR. I think measurables are over-rated at times. Plenty of small guys that excel (Lockett, Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill) and plenty of big guys that excel (Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, AJ Green) and plenty of medium guys that excel (Beckham, Hopkins, Thielen).
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:08 pm
  • Mad Dog wrote:We don't need a big WR, we need a good WR. I think measurables are over-rated at times. Plenty of small guys that excel (Lockett, Antonio Brown, Tyreek Hill) and plenty of big guys that excel (Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, AJ Green) and plenty of medium guys that excel (Beckham, Hopkins, Thielen).

Yeah but the diversity of situations and having length for different routes makes them valuable .
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:34 pm
  • and... we got D.K. Metcalf. There was a small run on wide receivers and am surprised he was there for them to pick.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:03 pm
  • MrThortan wrote:and... we got D.K. Metcalf. There was a small run on wide receivers and am surprised he was there for them to pick.

Well, we had to trade up for him. He wasn't "there for them to pick".
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:27 pm
  • I don't know? He was there and we picked him. Kind of hard to argue that...lol
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:47 pm
  • I am pretty happy with The KD pick. The elusive big WR has evaded Pete forever. Sidney Rice was about at close as we have had to multi year production from a big target.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:45 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Any big WR we get needs to be 6'3 or taller and 225 or bigger and know how to use his body, catch with his hands and track a ball with his back to the QB for the deep ball to have success oh not a body catcher.

This is exactly who Metcalf is. He doesn't have great agility. Won't be great at curl/hitches. DK has above average hands. Doesn't seem to track the ball great when it's coming directly at him. But over the shoulder, he sees it very well. And has exceptional catch radius over the shoulder.

Bucket throws he is exceptional at. Russell is exceptional at that. Honestly, I think Wilson is going to have to learn to try to overthrow Metcalf. He's going to be faster/better than Lockett on the deep ball. Metcalf is going to force Wilson to adjust instead of the other way around.

Another underrated/appreciated part of Metcalf's game. He is great at boxing out defenders in the end zone. He's like Karl Malone when he used to post up. Just is great at putting a defender on a hip and presenting a huge opening to deliver a pass. Probably just as good at the post up as Jimmy Graham. Doesn't have Graham's height. But in terms of being able to effortlessly and naturally shield a defender away from a ball -- he has that in spades.

Intriguing pick. I wonder what effect the slide to the late 2nd will have on him. Will he come in pissed off to be great and humble him to work at his deficiencies?
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:23 pm
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Any big WR we get needs to be 6'3 or taller and 225 or bigger and know how to use his body, catch with his hands and track a ball with his back to the QB for the deep ball to have success oh not a body catcher.

This is exactly who Metcalf is. He doesn't have great agility. Won't be great at curl/hitches. DK has above average hands. Doesn't seem to track the ball great when it's coming directly at him. But over the shoulder, he sees it very well. And has exceptional catch radius over the shoulder.

Bucket throws he is exceptional at. Russell is exceptional at that. Honestly, I think Wilson is going to have to learn to try to overthrow Metcalf. He's going to be faster/better than Lockett on the deep ball. Metcalf is going to force Wilson to adjust instead of the other way around.

Another underrated/appreciated part of Metcalf's game. He is great at boxing out defenders in the end zone. He's like Karl Malone when he used to post up. Just is great at putting a defender on a hip and presenting a huge opening to deliver a pass. Probably just as good at the post up as Jimmy Graham. Doesn't have Graham's height. But in terms of being able to effortlessly and naturally shield a defender away from a ball -- he has that in spades.

Intriguing pick. I wonder what effect the slide to the late 2nd will have on him. Will he come in pissed off to be great and humble him to work at his deficiencies?

He is still learning how to play the position, he was an Elite athlete against his competition, now that window is closed a lot more and he will have to add dimensions to his game, being a redshirt sophomore much like Thomas was he has growth yet to add physically and to his game.

He could be a Super Star in two years or Super Bust depending on his head and how he receives coaching.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:13 am
  • big body physical target that fell in our lap with value let alone adding a chip on his shoulder with getting passed over... give me that guy all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DJ_CJ
    NET Starter

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:33 am
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Any big WR we get needs to be 6'3 or taller and 225 or bigger and know how to use his body, catch with his hands and track a ball with his back to the QB for the deep ball to have success oh not a body catcher.

a

One thing too is how violent he is out of his breaks. I don’t care about his agility because it’s not his game. He can bulldoze press and then beat you deep. A fantastic deep threat receiver for a fantastic deep ball passer.

So far this draft has felt themed towards violence. Metcalf, Blair and Collier are all violent physical players. There’s some risk with Blair and Metcalf for injury but Penny had great medical grades (per Schneider) and still got hurt (so I don’t care).

My pipe dream is coming out of this draft with Butler and a Metcalf but I doubt that it happens. Penny Hart would also be fun.
    Yxes1122
    NET Rookie

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:19 am
  • Chawker wrote:We could grab D. Sills in the forth round 6'3 " 203 if thats big enough for you. He scores alot. Great red zone connection .

wait, there's somebody with that last name available?!?! We MUST draft him with our next pick!

That's also my last name, so I could get his jersey and it would automatically one of those custom ones... ;) :mrgreen:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:42 am
  • Thumbs up to GeekHawk on this thought. I should have bought a David Hughes jersey back in the 80s and I'd have been set from then on.
    Madrid Hawk
    NET Rookie

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:49 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    Chawker wrote:We could grab D. Sills in the forth round 6'3 " 203 if thats big enough for you. He scores alot. Great red zone connection .

wait, there's somebody with that last name available?!?! We MUST draft him with our next pick!

That's also my last name, so I could get his jersey and it would automatically one of those custom ones... ;) :mrgreen:

Insanely productive college player. I'd be more than fine with taking him.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:21 pm
  • If only they would draft a Smith...
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:08 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:If only they would draft a Smith...

Surprisingly, I can't think of many we've had. Lamar was some 20+ years ago, and I'm blanking on anyone else.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:15 pm
  • Rat wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:If only they would draft a Smith...

Surprisingly, I can't think of many we've had. Lamar was some 20+ years ago, and I'm blanking on anyone else.

Sherman would be the most famous.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2019 9:42 am
  • Malcolm Smith
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Sat May 04, 2019 9:42 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:Malcolm Smith

Pfft, MVP of our only Super Bowl victory. Like anyone is going to remember THAT.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sun May 05, 2019 3:36 pm
  • Rooting for DK but we should have taken N'Keal Harry. We could have done that and we still would have been able to get Collier.

Why? because N'keal was the best possession receiver in this year's draft, something that didn't go unnoticed with Belichick who made him the first Pat's WR ever taken in the first round of the Belichick era.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun May 05, 2019 4:47 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:Rooting for DK but we should have taken N'Keal Harry. We could have done that and we still would have been able to get Collier.

Why? because N'keal was the best possession receiver in this year's draft. something that didn't go unnoticed with Belichick who made him the first Pat's WR ever taken in the first round of the Belichick era.

Possession receivers can be had any year and come up in all rounds. 4.33 speed and size does not.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun May 05, 2019 5:09 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:Rooting for DK but we should have taken N'Keal Harry. We could have done that and we still would have been able to get Collier.

Why? because N'keal was the best possession receiver in this year's draft. something that didn't go unnoticed with Belichick who made him the first Pat's WR ever taken in the first round of the Belichick era.

Possession receivers can be had any year and come up in all rounds. 4.33 speed and size does not.

Not possession receivers like N'Keal, he has great hands and great leverage. Size is a much bigger component for possession receivers than downfield receivers.

I really like a lot about DK but I just feel that our biggest weakness last year was our inability to sustain drives. Losing ADB was a big part of that.

Besides, we already have a long ball catcher in Tyler Lockett, without ADB we have no real proven possession receiver.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information