Let's talk ourselves into Collier

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not a shocking pick, but not my favorite. Collier, however, is versatile and is more a replacement for a Bennett role than a direct replacement for Clark.

Collier lacks timed athleticism and testing, but he is strong and refined as a rusher and one of the best run defenders in the draft. He doesn't cede ground at the point of attack, and he has a hell of a motor. With time in an NFL conditioning program, we may be looking at an ultimate utility on the line who can set the edge on early downs and rip through the interior on passing downs.

High floor. Potentially a low ceiling, though, unless he can add muscle and lose fat on his frame for some additional explosiveness. He does the things that you can't teach well, though.

Edit: Also, he's only 6'2", but has 34 inch arms and still put up 25 reps. Pretty good.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Love the pick! Okay, who am I fooling. No idea who he is, but I'm not worried. from a quick review, looks like he's a good pick for late in round one.

Personally, I would have preferred Zach Allen or Jason Winovich. I think Zach would have been great getting pressure up the middle.

But we did need run defense, and getting a hybrid run/pass defender fits the bill. John and Pete have found gems before and i think this might be one too.

mistaowen

Reaction score
He's Jacob Martin. We had an opportunity to add some excellent players, traded back twice, got the most average DL of the bunch in R1, and now lost out on nkeal cause Pats appreciate offense.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I'd rather have the best safety in the draft Darnell Savage that can cover the slot at 21 then Collier at 29 and some mid round picks. That said Collier will help us against the run. Not a good draft so far imo

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":39m38z73 said:
I'd rather have the best safety in the draft Darnell Savage that can cover the slot at 21 then Collier at 29 and some mid round picks. That said Collier will help us against the run. Not a good draft so far imo

Darnell isn't the only safety who can do that - Chauncey and Adderley also have cornerback in their background, just like Thomas did. Still can grab a guy to fill out that role. However, if they don't go that route, I'll understand it - Carroll can craft a league-average secondary out of glue and pencil shavings.

To be fair, I love Savage. Savage is from my hometown of Newark, DE. I've watched him play in high school against my alma mater. But 21 was rich when comparable prospects exist in the second.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Nothing about him screams he is going to be exceptional but he should be solid.

Not exciting. But for a later pick OK. The bummer was it was only a later pick because we traded down.

I don't think the 4th round picks are going to make up for what we lost here. There were some splash players available without trading down and even after trading down Harry had more upside for us. The Patriots are consistently smarter than our staff so the fact they bought in on him tells you all you need to know. We missed on that one.

His college production is solid. But watching him on film he didn't look exceptional to me, just good.

I would probably be more excited but he isn't going to come near Clark's level, not with several years of seasoning. So we just got worse on the line and replaced an exceptional player with a much less exceptional one.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I have to think about half of the speed rushers taken before Collier will be wash outs or close to it.

I like him.

He thick.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Had similar pressure numbers to Sweat and Burns. Big physical guy with chip, have all these people doubt the pick even better. Best part is pre-Clark trade we had 4 picks and turned into 9. Solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Funny story.. almost made a post about Collier on here but texted my Dad instead. So typical we'd draft a guy who was not expected to be a 1st rder.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":b7efiggo said:
Funny story.. almost made a post about Collier on here but texted my Dad instead. So typical we'd draft a guy who was not expected to be a 1st rder.

So we picked him at 29 instead of 34 or 35. Do those few spots really make that much difference? Other than the 5th year option, there's little difference between 4-5 spots after the first 10 picks or so.

But great call on the pick, Wen. It actually shows a lot of foreknowledge and understanding of the current Seahawks leadership.

JGreen79

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":v1qhcxby said:
Nothing about him screams he is going to be exceptional but he should be solid.

Not exciting. But for a later pick OK. The bummer was it was only a later pick because we traded down.

I don't think the 4th round picks are going to make up for what we lost here. There were some splash players available without trading down and even after trading down Harry had more upside for us. The Patriots are consistently smarter than our staff so the fact they bought in on him tells you all you need to know. We missed on that one.

His college production is solid. But watching him on film he didn't look exceptional to me, just good.

I would probably be more excited but he isn't going to come near Clark's level, not with several years of seasoning. So we just got worse on the line and replaced an exceptional player with a much less exceptional one.

The Patriots do not have a good history with WR picks in the draft. Deion Branch and Julian Edelman are the only guys they have drafted at WR that have done anything.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Rob is a fan of the pick over at SeahawksDraftBlog.

hburn21

Reaction score
Between the poor trade values and a short non athletic prospect I’m not excited in the least bit about him.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
mistaowen":24aqy4kt said:
He's Jacob Martin. We had an opportunity to add some excellent players, traded back twice, got the most average DL of the bunch in R1, and now lost out on nkeal cause Pats appreciate offense.

He isn't similar to Martin at all as a player type.

Think more like Preston Smith or Adrian Clayborn. Maybe even Courtney Upshaw. He's a bigger DE (280+) as opposed to Martin who struggles to keep the high 250s.

Collier's athleticism is right in line with Smith and Clayborn. Both were high 2nd round type players. But their classes were also sprinkled/diluted with strong talent elsewhere. Something you didn't see in this draft.

I like Collier where we took him if all you consider is athletic comparisons and where his peers were drafted. We should like the pick more because Colliers' real quality is his sophisticated and what appears natural affinity for hand usage. This is a guy who really has a great feel for technique. Whether he's just a good student of his craft or he just naturally knows how to do it. The main takeaway I see, is this is a player who has readily identifiable skills. He is not just a raw athlete like Rashan Gary. In fact, he's really quite the opposite.

I see him really as almost a clone of Preston Smith who I loved in his class and still do. Players who had good/not great athleticism. But exceptional, and violent technique. Both players have an abundance of 'sand in the pants' so to speak. Collier clearly plays like it as he produces great strength from his lower body/core.

He's not a speed to power guy. He's a power to even more power guy. And instead of transitioning speed to power, he uses his heavy hands to win in tight spaces and his lower body to power through opposing OL in close quarters.

He's not a Todd Gurley type of DE. A run to daylight type. He's through and through a Marshawn Lynch type of DE. He's going to go through your M$%#F@$#^ face.

I think we'll like his brand very much here.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing what the kid can do. Listening to Baldinger gush over him today was awesome.
I trust his opinion over fans' opinions any day.
Welcome to Seattle kid!

cheese22

Reaction score
hburn21":t9r0toxm said:
Between the poor trade values and a short non athletic prospect I’m not excited in the least bit about him.
Russ?

cheese22

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":39u5xwkj said:
Looking forward to seeing what the kid can do. Listening to Baldinger gush over him today was awesome.
I trust his opinion over fans' opinions any day.
Welcome to Seattle kid!

Posters on here questioning the pick (some who admit to not knowing who he is) because of his height or whatever?! Go watch the tape, especially Balldinger's. Long arms, great hand fighter, non-stop motor, very good against the run as well as a pass rusher.
I think people are forgetting that we could improve the pass rush in other areas than replacing Frank. It's the most glaring spot but not the only position to improve. If LJ anchors MB's role for several years than I its a good pick. There are still quite a few pure rushers that could help immediately.
Not to mention the other way to improve the pass rush is to improve a below average coverage secondary.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
If the Hawks can re-sign Reed, they have the makings of a good young DL.

LDE - Collier
LDT - Reed
RDT - Ford
RDE - ?

The speed guys off the RDE (Leo) roll in Carroll's defense are probably easier to find than a good LDE that can both defend the run and rush the passer effectively.

Should be very interesting when you sit back and think of the ability those three D-Lineman have to make splash plays and create havoc in the backfield.