2019 NFL Draft Thread

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: 2019 NFL Draft Thread
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:55 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Most teams draft pedestrian starters... because there are only a handful of exceptional ones.

If seahawk fans keep comparing every draft to one amazing one they are not only naive but irrational.

Sure, there havent been many all stars of late. But thats also hard when the team has been drafting consistently late in rounds every year.

At that point, its a calculated guess... theyve found serviceable contributors. Hasn't been great, not terrible. But its constantly finding good players (why he is a top 5 /10 GM in some rankings).

There was a belief at one time that JS was some sort of godly draft genius. In fact, I believed it myself, as most here did. I think his high rating is at least partly predicated on that. The last few years, however, has shown us that he is pretty much like most of the NFL's GM's, i.e, keep throwing stuff against the wall until something sticks.

But, if it's rankings you are going by, here is one that has us as the 21st ranked drafting NFL team in the last five year's drafts.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/21/giants-je ... -at-draft/
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:50 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Most teams draft pedestrian starters... because there are only a handful of exceptional ones.

If seahawk fans keep comparing every draft to one amazing one they are not only naive but irrational.

Sure, there havent been many all stars of late. But thats also hard when the team has been drafting consistently late in rounds every year.

At that point, its a calculated guess... theyve found serviceable contributors. Hasn't been great, not terrible. But its constantly finding good players (why he is a top 5 /10 GM in some rankings).

There was a belief at one time that JS was some sort of godly draft genius. In fact, I believed it myself, as most here did. I think his high rating is at least partly predicated on that. The last few years, however, has shown us that he is pretty much like most of the NFL's GM's, i.e, keep throwing stuff against the wall until something sticks.

But, if it's rankings you are going by, here is one that has us as the 21st ranked drafting NFL team in the last five year's drafts.

If you still look at that stuff then you have lost your sense of navigation on how we do stuff. Kam pedestrian, Sherm a reach and conversion project, Wagner too light, Wright a special teamer, Baldwin not even drafted, Ford not even drafted, Bryant was slated to be cut and was a bust, Clemons a role player and back up to be cut in Philly, Wilson do I even have to say anything there. Those are what the so called experts were saying when we picked up those mediocre or failed players.

Pete has set the table once again for the cream to rise to the top, I think his formula has proven itself, just thie instant gratification generation has no concept of understanding and or the patience to see things work thru the learning curves and time it takes to become exceptional. But hey maybe you can Google it and feel better.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:50 pm

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:17 pm

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:28 pm

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:39 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Most teams draft pedestrian starters... because there are only a handful of exceptional ones.

If you still look at that stuff then you have lost your sense of navigation on how we do stuff. Kam pedestrian, Sherm a reach and conversion project, Wagner too light, Wright a special teamer, Baldwin not even drafted, Ford not even drafted, Bryant was slated to be cut and was a bust, Clemons a role player and back up to be cut in Philly, Wilson do I even have to say anything there. Those are what the so called experts were saying when we picked up those mediocre or failed players.

Pete has set the table once again for the cream to rise to the top, I think his formula has proven itself, just thie instant gratification generation has no concept of understanding and or the patience to see things work thru the learning curves and time it takes to become exceptional. But hey maybe you can Google it and feel better.

Yes, those players looked pedestrian in their draft projections but that's not what I'm talking about. I am talking about players that have turned out to be pedestrian. And, if you are suggesting that our formula is picking players that look pedestrian but we have the special ability to see things other GM's don't, then I call BS. It worked once, but it hasn't happened again.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:21 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:

And this from your link: "Now Schneider has to do it again, with virtually no difference makers from the last five draft classes and spotty big swings at players like Sheldon Richardson, Jimmy Graham and Percy Harvin."

Every GM has to do it again if they want their team to be a super bowl team for a decade.

The team has drafted capable contributors and starters. Theyre have been some difference makers as well.

But JS will always be judged against 2010-12, which in itself is unrealistic.

Also.. Ruchardson was far better than spotty. Graham was fine. And the article ignores the free agent hits the team has landed. (Bring up Harvin but not Lynch? Graham but not Duane Brown?)

I mean you can think what you want. But JS is quite easily one of the best GMs in the NFL. He takes risks. And is only judged off his own success (which was far more than once... i mean come on.)
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:11 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:

Pats are 29th according to the Murdock Post
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:02 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

And this from your link: "Now Schneider has to do it again, with virtually no difference makers from the last five draft classes and spotty big swings at players like Sheldon Richardson, Jimmy Graham and Percy Harvin."

Every GM has to do it again if they want their team to be a super bowl team for a decade.

The team has drafted capable contributors and starters. Theyre have been some difference makers as well.

But JS will always be judged against 2010-12, which in itself is unrealistic.

Also.. Ruchardson was far better than spotty. Graham was fine. And the article ignores the free agent hits the team has landed. (Bring up Harvin but not Lynch? Graham but not Duane Brown?)

I mean you can think what you want. But JS is quite easily one of the best GMs in the NFL. He takes risks. And is only judged off his own success (which was far more than once... i mean come on.)

I agree with this 100%. It's unfair to hold Schneider to that high of a standard for just 3 drafts. We can't say that Schneider didn't try to add big names to the team, like the ones you mentioned. When fans complained that we sucked in the red zone, he traded for Graham, when they complained we couldn't get to the QB or stuff the run, he traded for Richardson, when they complained about not having anyone to protect Wilson's blind side, he traded for Brown. And now, the only one left on the team is Brown, it's a game of hit & miss when you're the GM of a football team, name me a GM that does a perfect job every single season.

Adding big names doesn't guarantee a darn thing, Schneider figured that out, and help Seattle get back to the winning formula. He got them 11 picks when they just had 4 a week ago. The Seahawks thrive not on having a few big name players, but a plethora of serviceable ones, and some of them do end up becoming big names. I think Schneider looks at every pick with their long-term potential in mind, sure, he could go out and get the best WR in the draft, but it won't take long before that WR wants to become the highest paid at his position, the way Schneider does his job saves the team money, allowing then to hold onto players. It helps that the coaching staff does a pretty good job developing the players. That's why NE does good every year, no matter who they pick, their players always end up helping them get to the playoffs.

Given that Schneider has helped build a team that has reached the playoffs 6 out of 7 years, I'd say he's one of the better GM's in the league.
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:57 pm
  • 12AngryHawks wrote: That's why NE does good every year, no matter who they pick, their players always end up helping them get to the playoffs.

Don't get the wrong idea, I think JS is a good GM, I just don't think he is as good as he is made out to be.

As for the why NE is good every year it doesn't have that much to do with player development. It is because Belichick adapts his strategy to his player's strengths AND a strategy that takes away his opponent's strengths, something that Pete doesn't seem capable of understanding at times.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019 ... l-history/

http://footballscoop.com/news/exactly-m ... hick-good/
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:11 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    12AngryHawks wrote: That's why NE does good every year, no matter who they pick, their players always end up helping them get to the playoffs.

Don't get the wrong idea, I think JS is a good GM, I just don't think he is as good as he is made out to be.

As for the why NE is good every year it doesn't have that much to do with player development. It is because Belichick adapts his strategy to his player's strengths AND a strategy that takes away his opponent's strengths, something that Pete doesn't seem capable of understanding at times.

You mean like returning to a power running game while everyone else was getting light defensively?

Again, PC took a roster that was in massive transition, created the #1 rushing offense in the league, gave RW the chance to throw 37 TDs and helped the team get to the playoffs...

all while the rest of the NFL was quite certain the losses of Graham, Lynch, Kam, ET, Sherman, Avril, Bennett, both Richardsons (etc., etc.) would be the end of them
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:07 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    12AngryHawks wrote: That's why NE does good every year, no matter who they pick, their players always end up helping them get to the playoffs.

Well we can always go back to Ruskell and Mora since we seem to not appreciate what we have.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:40 pm
  • I'm going to restate my point that Seattle has been a winning team ever since JS & PC came in. Is JS the best? Who are we to say? From a fan perspective, GM's are graded on how well they draft, the thing about grading them off of that though, is that it's not so cut & dry, things change every season, and because of that, it doesn't take much for a GM to go from being labeled the best to being labeled horrible, a GM can't have the best draft every season, one season this GM has the best draft, next season, another GM has the best draft, it can all change in a matter of a season. It's all opinions whether a GM is good or not. Should he lose his job over the opinions of the fans? Personally, if I were a franchise owner, I'd trust the FO's opinion over the opinions of the fans.

He might not be as good as some people make him out to be, but he's also not as bad as other people make him out to be. He's well above average, and as a fan, I'm fine with it. There's no guarantee that if all the people who wanted JS fired, got their wish, that they'd find a better GM. Just trust the process, football is a team sport, and not just the team who suits up on gameday. It takes a FO and a group of good players to create a winning formula, and that's just what the Seahawks have done. I'd say we're in a way better position than most other teams. JS is going to be here as long as he wants, or until his ways stop working.

Look at it this way, at least our GM isn't Dave Gettleman. [Mic drop] 8)
    12AngryHawks
    NET Rookie

Wed May 01, 2019 9:29 am
  • Sheldon Richardson is a very talented player, getting 4, 5, 8 sacks a year. Problem was, the year before we got him, his production dropped, Well we found out why, he was freelancing during games. That, and he came to a team with a disgruntled Michael Bennett and Richard Sherman, and discipline went out the window. We didn't make the playoffs.

The next year, Minnesota signed him for a 1 year deal, and while his stats went up, they didn't bring him back, and now he's a Brown. He's basically like Suh, made a lot of money, and now he's mailing it in.

Trading for him didn't pan out, but a move we made when Malik McDowell got injured on his three wheeler. Seemed like a good move at the time, after all, this was the 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year as a DT, that followed that up with a beastly eight-sack 2014 Pro Bowl season.

I don't think that's one that anybody foresaw. Players in the final year of their contract usually play lights out in order to get a huge one next time.

Duane Brown has been a steal. Poor Deshaun Watson. Watching Brown play, how hard he plays, and how he plays to the whistle, has been refreshing.

And now with Fant getting experience on the end of the line while playing TE. George has all the size and talent needed to replace Duane Brown when he retires. Not bad for an UDFA.

We've got hidden gems all over this team, and that's down to Pete and John. And every NFL GM misses on players. You have to swing for the fences once in a while. Sometimes it pans out.

Having said all of that, Pete and John admitted that they got off track, and had to reset their draft profiles. But evaluating themselves is one of the things that makes them so good. Pete said the evaluate themselves at the end of every season and look for tendencies, and guidelines that have them going in the wrong direction.

People complain that Pete and John draft an unknown in the 1st round, but like Danny O'Neill said, the only reason people complain is because they've never heard a guy like LJ Collier mocked to Seattle. That is because John's team is so tight with their information that no one finds out where they're headed.

Why didn't we draft Montez Sweat? Maybe it was the medical. Sure a report came out saying that his heart was fine and that the doctors had made a mistake. But, that report came from his Agent, on the day of the draft. Go figure. And if the newest report was true, why didn't any other team pick him in the Top Ten like he was projected to go before the heart issue?

I love John Schneider, and to me, last year's draft proved just how good he can be.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Previous

It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:02 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information