2019 NFL Draft Thread

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: 2019 NFL Draft Thread
Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:40 pm
  • Ok we are stocked in the meat and potatoes portion of the draft, doubt we are done making a trade yet but now we need to start filling out or picks.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• They are positioning themselves to get who they want. You guys are WAY too hung up on high round picks.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:Finally feels like we got some decent trade value

Exactly, much much better trade than either of our first round trades.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:41 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:Finally feels like we got some decent trade value

Actually the Giants trade was pretty even value wise. Only one we took a hit on was the GB trade.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:41 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:Maybe we keep trading down enough to get all 32 7th rd picks? Are we scared to draft high because of salary cap? Sorry I dont get this. Not trusting the process....

We need a lot of players, not a couple "hopefully amazing and not busts."

We now have 10 total picks in the first 5 rounds, and no 6th or 7th (yet). That's an amazing haul, actually.

I dont know...I'd rather have a potential awesome player than just a fill in for a couple years. The hope of getting a chancellor or a Sherman in the late rounds isnt realistic.

I do agree, if we could count on them being fantastic.

But this is a deep draft and so far, it's been mostly D-line types. That leaves a LOT of WRs, DBs, OLinemen, and special-teamers to pick from.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:42 pm
  • That's a hell of a trade. Seattle now has 21 picks remaining in 2019 and 2020. This is going to be a very young, very good team in a couple of years. They have enough ammo to move up any time they want now, it seems.

This has been a well-executed draft thus far, I believe.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:44 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:That's a hell of a trade. Seattle now has 21 picks remaining in 2019 and 2020. This is going to be a very young, very good team in a couple of years. They have enough ammo to move up any time they want now, it seems.

Agreed. It's really fun to watch, actually.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:45 pm
  • WR's are now the value picks with who is left on the board according to NFL .com

Metcalf, Campbell, Brown with Greedy Williams in the mix there. There is going to be a run soon.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:46 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:That's a hell of a trade. Seattle now has 21 picks remaining in 2019 and 2020. This is going to be a very young, very good team in a couple of years. They have enough ammo to move up any time they want now, it seems.

I feel the same. I feel like they wanted to have the ammo to move up and snag guys as they fall that they've specifically targeted. Now they do.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:47 pm
  • Its all a crapshoot and we are adding more lottery tickets
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:47 pm
  • Hopefully not quantity over quality. Guess we will see. Just sick of seeing other teams picking and not us. You guys probably know and watch more college stuff than I do.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:51 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Hopefully not quantity over quality. Guess we will see. Just sick of seeing other teams picking and not us. You guys probably know and watch more college stuff than I do.

The thing is nobody really knows how a kid will develop.Nobody. People act like they do but the same teams pick in the top 15 every year and never improve.The meat and potatoes of a team come in the later rounds.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

• Hard to believe only 3 WR's have been taken so far...
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:Hopefully not quantity over quality. Guess we will see. Just sick of seeing other teams picking and not us. You guys probably know and watch more college stuff than I do.

We're gonna be in the same tier of talent until late in the second round, draft falls off a bit after round 3 but the first 3 rounds are loaded. Makes sense to add selections. I don't think they would've pulled the trigger for multiple lower picks, I think they really wanted a 3rd from Carolina to get it done. JS has been open about his belief that the draft falls off after round 3 this year.

Pete's a quantity guy that believes more picks is better, since his strength is player development - and he's right, he's pretty dang good at that.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:52 pm
  • Do we really NEED 10 picks though? This is a good team. We're not in year 2 of a franchise rebuild, looking to replace nearly 20% of the roster.

I don't know what the draft board looks like, so whatever, but I'm concerned we're taking this strategy to an extreme, and are perhaps getting too cute. I hope Schneider and Carroll have been accurately determining where they guys they like are going. It's not like they're going to tell us how much talent they missed out on by miscalculating.

Value is excellent on the Panthers trade though. Way better than the first two trade-downs.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:55 pm
  • Rat wrote:Do we really NEED 10 picks though? This is a good team. We're not in year 2 of a franchise rebuild, looking to replace nearly 20% of the roster.

I don't know what the draft board looks like, so whatever, but I'm concerned we're taking this strategy to an extreme, and are perhaps getting too cute. I hope Schneider and Carroll have been accurately determining where they guys they like are going. It's not like they're going to tell us how much talent they missed out on by miscalculating.

Value is excellent on the Panthers trade though. Way better than the first two trade-downs.

Another perspective to consider is that having so many more picks in the first 160 picks (9) this year allows them to lean heavily towards going straight-up best player available rather than reaching on urgent roster needs. May end up with better quality on top of quantity due to the freedom allowed by having so many worthwhile selections.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:57 pm
  • Ten picks, not bad we have had redshirt guys and guys trying to recover from injuries as well as F.A. roll players brought in for the last couple years, if they have reached their ceiling or have not recovered we need a new batch of guys to turn over that are cheaper, remember that wage goes up every year we keep them here.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:57 pm
  • Rat wrote:Do we really NEED 10 picks though? This is a good team. We're not in year 2 of a franchise rebuild, looking to replace nearly 20% of the roster.

4 picks you might get a decent starter.2 is a huge win. 10 picks hopefully you get 3, 4 maybe 5 starters, maybe even strike gold you never know.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:59 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:We're gonna be in the same tier of talent until late in the second round, draft falls off a bit after round 3 but the first 3 rounds are loaded.

Sucks then that we loaded up on 4th and 5th rounders when we traded down yesterday. Would have been nice to have a couple of more picks in that meaty 3rd round. I suppose we have the ammo to trade up from the 4th.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:00 pm
  • justafan wrote:
    Rat wrote:Do we really NEED 10 picks though? This is a good team. We're not in year 2 of a franchise rebuild, looking to replace nearly 20% of the roster.

4 picks you might get a decent starter.2 is a huge win. 10 picks hopefully you get 3, 4 maybe 5 starters, maybe even strike gold you never know.

Yeah, but statistically those picks are much likely to hit if they're earlier.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:02 pm
  • Rat wrote:
    justafan wrote:
    Rat wrote:Do we really NEED 10 picks though? This is a good team. We're not in year 2 of a franchise rebuild, looking to replace nearly 20% of the roster.

Show me the stats so we can compare. I'm not disagreeing, but I'd like to see the actual %, not guesses.

There's no question that Pete and John know the numbers.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:09 pm
  • Ad Hawk wrote:
    Rat wrote:
    justafan wrote:

Show me the stats so we can compare. I'm not disagreeing, but I'd like to see the actual %, not guesses.

Seems logical. Look back at each draft and the earlier rounds have many more difference makers than the later rounds.

I guess John and Pete hope that getting an absurd amount of later picks can close or surpass that gap. They did well with it early on, but aren't hitting on as many in recent years.

Hope I'm wrong. Just think they're doing it too much for a team that doesn't need THAT many spots filled. There are only 53 on a team.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:11 pm
  • A-Dog wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:We're gonna be in the same tier of talent until late in the second round, draft falls off a bit after round 3 but the first 3 rounds are loaded.

Sucks then that we loaded up on 4th and 5th rounders when we traded down yesterday. Would have been nice to have a couple of more picks in that meaty 3rd round. I suppose we have the ammo to trade up from the 4th.

Careful, now. They're going to be referring to the 3rd round based on how they've graded their board, not necessarily the literal third round. Could probably get some guys with 3rd grades in late 3rd/early 4th.

Plus, tons of ammo to come up and snipe their guys.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:11 pm
  • Rat wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:
    Rat wrote:
    justafan wrote:

Seems logical. Look back at each draft and the earlier rounds have many more difference makers than the later rounds.

I guess John and Pete hope that getting an absurd amount of later picks can close or surpass that gap. They did well with it early on, but aren't hitting on as many in recent years.

Hope I'm wrong. Just think they're doing it too much for a team that doesn't need THAT many spots filled. There are only 53 on a team.

Here is the data.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/201 ... fae347495b
    JayhawkMike
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:14 pm
  • Rat wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:
    Rat wrote:
    justafan wrote:

They may also use those picks to move up and grab a player in a higher round as well.

But all those names of players that people on here were clamoring for are still on the board
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:16 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Rat wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:
    Rat wrote:

They may also use those picks to move up and grab a player in a higher round as well.

But all those names of players that people on here were clamoring for are still on the board

Kind of shows that the big name picks everyone was hoping for would have been a waste in a earlier pick if they are still there.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Alright, take Parris and all is forgiven
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Great pick by Browns.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:17 pm
  • Now even Greedy s gone. So,trade down again? Might as well draft me idiots.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:18 pm
  • Why have this pick from Buffalo come out during the Hawks pick? He was picked awhile ago? Jeeesshhhh!
    BubbaGump
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:20 pm
  • Having the Bills pick come up to the podium threw me off. Thought we traded again.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:21 pm
  • JayhawkMike wrote:Here is the data.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/201 ... fae347495b

That’s really interesting.

Big drop off between rounds one and two

Not much difference between rounds two and three

Massive cliff after round three

This draft might be deeper than most but it really does look like a crapshoot after the 3rd round... hope we trade up to get more picks in the 3rd round
    Last edited by A-Dog on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:21 pm
  • Marquise blair
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:22 pm
  • Who is he? Is this good?
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:24 pm
  • Apparently he’s a big hitter despite not being a big guy. Plays with intensity.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• All these high picks never seem to help the loser teams yet the winning teams keep picling late and making the playoffs.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

• JayhawkMike wrote:Now even Greedy s gone. So,trade down again? Might as well draft me idiots.

Greedy has character concerns and didn't fit the profile for our defense anyway. Bad take.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Apparently he’s a big hitter despite not being a big guy. Plays with intensity.
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• All the waiting for the 103 rated player with the 47th pick. Surely could have waited a round. They think they are smarter than everyone else and haven’t been for a few years.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:26 pm
  • Marquise Blair has great range and had intense closing speed as a tackler. Fits the defense like a glove. He's going to start and do well.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:27 pm
  • JayhawkMike wrote:All the waiting for the 103 rated player with the 47th pick. Surely could have waited a round. They think they are smarter than everyone else and haven’t been for a few years.

This sounds like WalterFootball. Bleh, big board drafting is lame. Two good prospects have been selected thus far and 8 picks to go within the first 5 rounds. I'd rather them take their guys than be beholden to a media big board.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:27 pm
  • This guys screams slot, not really big enough to play SS, short arms and smaller hands not going to be converted to a CB and as FS maybe. Slot with run support and good closing speed.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:28 pm
  • I don't know value and where picked etc. but this is a good pickup.

Teams may have had this guy highly rated too and they needed to pick him
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• JayhawkMike wrote:All the waiting for the 103 rated player with the 47th pick. Surely could have waited a round. They think they are smarter than everyone else and haven’t been for a few years.

Who rated him that and who the hell is Mel Kiper anyway
    justafan
    NET Veteran

• Surprised he went ahead of Adderley. Solid pick though.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:29 pm
  • Don't know if he plays safety, may be our nickel or slot guy to replace Coleman.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:31 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Don't know if he plays safety, may be our nickel or slot guy to replace Coleman.

No, he is a heat seeking missile at safety
    Last edited by Smellyman on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:31 pm
  • Rat wrote:Surprised he went ahead of Adderley. Solid pick though.

Clearly, the media highly overrated this safety class. Thornhill, Adderley, AND Gardner-Johnson still sitting on the board.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:32 pm
  • He ran an unofficial 4.48 at the combine and has a rep as a hitter. He apparently has played both safety spots.

Always compete!
    sc85sis
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:33 pm
  • Well, we have about a hundred picks now. Maybe we'll trade back up for Parris.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:19 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information