Two Local Kids Retiring From Football

D

DomeHawk

"UW’s Austin Joyner and Jared Pulu retiring from football due to medical issues"

So sorry to see this, both were at football camps with my older son, good kids. Austin Joyner was the "2014 state high school football player of the year."

Football is a great game but it isn't worth your life, these are two high quality young men who have everything to look forward to. Best of luck to them.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... al-issues/

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2l5f9k7t said:
"UW’s Austin Joyner and Jared Pulu retiring from football due to medical issues"

So sorry to see this, both were at football camps with my older son, good kids. Austin Joyner was the "2014 state high school football player of the year."

Football is a great game but it isn't worth your life, these are two high quality young men who have everything to look forward to. Best of luck to them.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... al-issues/

Yeah sad in many instances, but there is a reason 0nly 1 percent of the High School players go on to college and like 1 percent of them make it to the Pros, not saying they stay there, years of Pee Wee, Jr, High School and then College football, surviving without a major injury or having multiples is a tough road and many drop by the way side that if healthy may have had promising careers.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Football will be completely dead in 20 years. We need to enjoy it now.

Hawkfiend

Reaction score
Such a bummer. I watched Austin Joyner play a ton at Marysville-Pilchuck (I also graduated from there) and he was such a joy to watch. I really thought if he had stayed healthy he'd have a shot at the NFL, it's too bad.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sad but like Austin said, he wants to enjoy his life outside of football, so he seems to have accepted the situation.
When one door closes another opens. He may want to get into coaching somewhere down the line? The good thing is the UW is still honoring their scholarships and they hopefully will have that education to fall back on.

sutz

Reaction score
I hate to see kids have to give up their dreams, but in the end nothing is much more important than their health.

Best wishes to them.