BYU at Washington

D

DomeHawk

KitsapGuy":1616xdvz said:

I feel fairly confident about this game, I hope that's not a bad sign. My research tells me that BYU's D is big and strong with sure tacklers at every position but they are slow. I'm seeing Gaskin off tackle, sweeps, play action, etc. Try to get the receivers in open space again. The experts are saying this will be low scoring but I am feeling (hoping) the offense breaks out today.

On offense they come at you with multiple formations, they are well balanced between runs and passes and their QB is efficient. They also employ the jet sweep and have enjoyed some success with that. It feels like we are going to have to get our defensive line in their backfield to really be successful. We have the DB's but they can't cover all day. That might be the biggest challenge of the day as their O-line has done a good job of protecting the QB.

One interesting fact that sportswriters often miss about many of these BYU players is that they are LDS and as such often go on missions (2-yr) right after they sign or after their freshman year. This produces a roster of older, more physically mature, athletes. I don't think the advantage this creates can be totally discounted.

https://byucougars.com/athlete/football ... ustin-Hoyt

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Even though BYU is ranked, they probably have over achieved. To put this game into perspective, UW is 17 point favorites. Should be a fairly easy win.

D

DomeHawk

Off to the game, we are running late. Steaks for the boys if we win, Dick's burgers if we lose. Funny thing is, I don't think they care either way, lol.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":bgv8i0wh said:
Even though BYU is ranked, they probably have over achieved. To put this game into perspective, UW is 17 point favorites. Should be a fairly easy win.

17 seems large for two ranked teams. Especially considering the Huskies didnt cover ASU

Hope for an easier one.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Taking it to them.

Still not sure there is a clear path to the cfb playoff. Bama will be in. Clemson will most likely be in as the ACC is awful. One of the Big 10 teams should make it. That leaves one spot between quite a few teams.

Offensive line looks a lot better. We are a really solid team, still think we can improve in the passing game and on 3rd down defense.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Byron Murphy would look pretty good opposite of Shaq Griffin next season.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3jgzxztz said:
Taking it to them.

Still not sure there is a clear path to the cfb playoff. Bama will be in. Clemson will most likely be in as the ACC is awful. One of the Big 10 teams should make it. That leaves one spot between quite a few teams.

Offensive line looks a lot better. We are a really solid team, still think we can improve in the passing game and on 3rd down defense.
Syracuse should have beat Clemson today. At Clemson!

Clemson has flaws! They are not a lock to get in! Miami could beat Clemson.

UW needs to go undefeated and spank Stanford!

But Jake Browning will not be able to beat any teams in playoffs.

Browning isn't that guy with the right skill set....and I'm a Huskies alum.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3vbqsrmn said:
Byron Murphy would look pretty good opposite of Shaq Griffin next season.
UW make some great corners!

Still ticked off the Seahawks drafted McDowell and not Kevin King!!!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2nkl2vt7 said:
Hawk-Lock":2nkl2vt7 said:
Taking it to them.

Syracuse should have beat Clemson today. At Clemson!

Clemson has flaws! They are not a lock to get in! Miami could beat Clemson.

UW needs to go undefeated and spank Stanford!

But Jake Browning will not be able to beat any teams in playoffs.

Browning isn't that guy with the right skill set....and I'm a Huskies alum.

Clemson looks a little like us. Limited offensively, particularly in the passing game, but they have an elite defense and great running game. I don't see Miami beating them, but we'll see. Best case scenario for us is the Big 10 beats up on each other and no one gets in, but I doubt it. If Ohio St can win tonight, they should run the table.

Win out and we are at least in the discussion. The schedule sure looks a lot better today than it did before the season. I actually think the game at Oregon will be the toughest, but I think we match up pretty well with them.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1ys63di8 said:
Ben Burr-Kirven, future NFL special teams standout.

Definitely too small to play backer in the NFL, maybe they can convert him to safety and he can be the next Kam.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1u71jsyy said:
SeatownJay":1u71jsyy said:
Ben Burr-Kirven, future NFL special teams standout.

Definitely too small to play backer in the NFL, maybe they can convert him to safety and he can be the next Kam.
He's smaller than Kam. BBK is 6'0", 200 lbs. Kam is 6'3", 225 lbs.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Read on here: UW's passing game is limited.

Read on ESPN.com: "Jake Browning is now the all-time leading passer in Washington history." - Joel Anderson, ESPN

I dunno man, maybe people see what they think they see and not what's really there.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":uc3zgvq2 said:
Washington with their 200th holding penalty tonight.

Seems an odd thing to point out in what is currently a blow out and shut out. It’s annoying but hardly a blip of significance.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":29zwbib0 said:
SeatownJay":29zwbib0 said:
Washington with their 200th holding penalty tonight.

Seems an odd thing to point out in what is currently a blow out and shut out. It’s annoying but hardly a blip of significance.

You must not hang out around here much... :mrgreen:

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1iczj7ac said:
Read on here: UW's passing game is limited.

Read on ESPN.com: "Jake Browning is now the all-time leading passer in Washington history." - Joel Anderson, ESPN

I dunno man, maybe people see what they think they see and not what's really there.

He is a polarizing guy. He will go down as one of the most accomplished QBs in UW history, but his ceiling is very capped. I’ve never questioned Jake against mediocre and good competition, I question him against great teams like Auburn, Alabama, Penn State and USC from two years ago.