Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

BYU at Washington

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
BYU at Washington
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:54 am
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Re: BYU at Washington
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:19 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:Image

I feel fairly confident about this game, I hope that's not a bad sign. My research tells me that BYU's D is big and strong with sure tacklers at every position but they are slow. I'm seeing Gaskin off tackle, sweeps, play action, etc. Try to get the receivers in open space again. The experts are saying this will be low scoring but I am feeling (hoping) the offense breaks out today.

On offense they come at you with multiple formations, they are well balanced between runs and passes and their QB is efficient. They also employ the jet sweep and have enjoyed some success with that. It feels like we are going to have to get our defensive line in their backfield to really be successful. We have the DB's but they can't cover all day. That might be the biggest challenge of the day as their O-line has done a good job of protecting the QB.

One interesting fact that sportswriters often miss about many of these BYU players is that they are LDS and as such often go on missions (2-yr) right after they sign or after their freshman year. This produces a roster of older, more physically mature, athletes. I don't think the advantage this creates can be totally discounted.

https://byucougars.com/athlete/football ... ustin-Hoyt
    Bow Down to Washington
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:27 pm
  • Even though BYU is ranked, they probably have over achieved. To put this game into perspective, UW is 17 point favorites. Should be a fairly easy win.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:20 pm
  • Off to the game, we are running late. Steaks for the boys if we win, Dick's burgers if we lose. Funny thing is, I don't think they care either way, lol.
    Bow Down to Washington
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:39 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Even though BYU is ranked, they probably have over achieved. To put this game into perspective, UW is 17 point favorites. Should be a fairly easy win.

17 seems large for two ranked teams. Especially considering the Huskies didnt cover ASU

Hope for an easier one.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:59 pm
  • Ahmed is just so fast. TD Washington.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:16 pm
  • It's early but the Huskies can't stop anything on 3rd down so far.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:29 pm
  • Taking it to them.

Still not sure there is a clear path to the cfb playoff. Bama will be in. Clemson will most likely be in as the ACC is awful. One of the Big 10 teams should make it. That leaves one spot between quite a few teams.

Offensive line looks a lot better. We are a really solid team, still think we can improve in the passing game and on 3rd down defense.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:38 pm
  • Byron Murphy would look pretty good opposite of Shaq Griffin next season.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:38 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Taking it to them.

Still not sure there is a clear path to the cfb playoff. Bama will be in. Clemson will most likely be in as the ACC is awful. One of the Big 10 teams should make it. That leaves one spot between quite a few teams.

Offensive line looks a lot better. We are a really solid team, still think we can improve in the passing game and on 3rd down defense.

Syracuse should have beat Clemson today. At Clemson!

Clemson has flaws! They are not a lock to get in! Miami could beat Clemson.

UW needs to go undefeated and spank Stanford!

But Jake Browning will not be able to beat any teams in playoffs.

Browning isn't that guy with the right skill set....and I'm a Huskies alum.
    Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:39 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Byron Murphy would look pretty good opposite of Shaq Griffin next season.

UW make some great corners!

Still ticked off the Seahawks drafted McDowell and not Kevin King!!!
    Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:58 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:Taking it to them.

Syracuse should have beat Clemson today. At Clemson!

Clemson has flaws! They are not a lock to get in! Miami could beat Clemson.

UW needs to go undefeated and spank Stanford!

But Jake Browning will not be able to beat any teams in playoffs.

Browning isn't that guy with the right skill set....and I'm a Huskies alum.

Clemson looks a little like us. Limited offensively, particularly in the passing game, but they have an elite defense and great running game. I don't see Miami beating them, but we'll see. Best case scenario for us is the Big 10 beats up on each other and no one gets in, but I doubt it. If Ohio St can win tonight, they should run the table.

Win out and we are at least in the discussion. The schedule sure looks a lot better today than it did before the season. I actually think the game at Oregon will be the toughest, but I think we match up pretty well with them.
    Last edited by Hawk-Lock on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:58 pm
  • Ben Burr-Kirven, future NFL special teams standout.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:17 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Ben Burr-Kirven, future NFL special teams standout.

Definitely too small to play backer in the NFL, maybe they can convert him to safety and he can be the next Kam.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:26 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Ben Burr-Kirven, future NFL special teams standout.

Definitely too small to play backer in the NFL, maybe they can convert him to safety and he can be the next Kam.

He's smaller than Kam. BBK is 6'0", 200 lbs. Kam is 6'3", 225 lbs.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:44 pm
  • Read on here: UW's passing game is limited.

Read on ESPN.com: "Jake Browning is now the all-time leading passer in Washington history." - Joel Anderson, ESPN

I dunno man, maybe people see what they think they see and not what's really there.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:46 pm
  • Washington with their 200th holding penalty tonight.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:52 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Washington with their 200th holding penalty tonight.

Seems an odd thing to point out in what is currently a blow out and shut out. It’s annoying but hardly a blip of significance.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:57 pm
  • Milehighhawk wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Washington with their 200th holding penalty tonight.

Seems an odd thing to point out in what is currently a blow out and shut out. It’s annoying but hardly a blip of significance.

You must not hang out around here much... :mrgreen:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:35 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:Read on here: UW's passing game is limited.

Read on ESPN.com: "Jake Browning is now the all-time leading passer in Washington history." - Joel Anderson, ESPN

I dunno man, maybe people see what they think they see and not what's really there.

He is a polarizing guy. He will go down as one of the most accomplished QBs in UW history, but his ceiling is very capped. I’ve never questioned Jake against mediocre and good competition, I question him against great teams like Auburn, Alabama, Penn State and USC from two years ago.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:38 pm
  • Browning outside of the grounding penalty pretty much played flawless.
    Nice to see. Still don’t think he can win the big game against the playoff teams.
    Prove me wrong Jake! :2thumbs:
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:09 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Hawk-Lock wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Ben Burr-Kirven, future NFL special teams standout.

He's smaller than Kam. BBK is 6'0", 200 lbs. Kam is 6'3", 225 lbs.

Ben is 221 lbs. https://gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?roste ... h=football
    Bow Down to Washington
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:53 am
  • Thoughts from the game: (Rarely does a game go like I thought it would.)

1. TV does not come close to the actual sounds of the game, the D, especially the LB's, were delivering some serious pops yesterday, everyone around us noted that they were the loudest in years.

2. Jake Browning AND the receivers put on an absolute clinic on how to attack a zone. It was Jake '16, he had zip on the ball, accuracy, and most of all, intelligence. The receivers knew EXACTLY where they needed to be, very impressive.

3. The O-line was great, they gave Jake all the time he needed and were effective run blocking also.

4. I also can't say enough about the TE's either, those off-tackle TD runs were set up by their blocks. They were effective in the pass game also, that one where Drew Sample caught a pass and ran in for a TD was a QB scramble play. They also blocked well for the WR's and were able to draw defenders out of zones at times.

5. Running backs: Both Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed were very patient, neither tried to do more than what the defense gave them. Their athleticism is duly noted but there was something different yesterday, especially in Salvon a certain maturity is emerging.

5. D-line: What was it? 37 yds rushing? Against that huge line? They are getting better every week.

6. DB's: We all want INT's for validation that they are a great defensive backfield but they will come. Even though their QB completed a high percentage of passes they were well contained and every deep ball was contested. Here's a crazy stat you may never see again: the two QB's combined for 90% of their combined passes completed! That's bizarre!

7. Game plan: Thing of beauty, both sides of the ball, once they figured out what BYU's game plan was it was all over.

I know some people will chalk this off to an inferior team BUT things could have went much different if we had went into the locker room 14-7 or even tied at 14-14. The fumble at the end of the 2nd qtr. really changed things.

This was the first time this year that the Huskies looked like they could be a playoff team or anything resembling the '16 team. This was a real team effort and it was evident that not only do they have great athleticism but this is turning into a VERY disciplined squad. I don't want to jump to any conclusions because they are still a work in progress, but the simple fact that they are improving every week is pretty cool. IT"S GREAT TO BE A HUSKY!!!

Now - GO SEAHAWKS!!!
    Last edited by DomeHawk on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Bow Down to Washington
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:58 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:Browning outside of the grounding penalty pretty much played flawless.
    Nice to see. Still don’t think he can win the big game against the playoff teams.
    Prove me wrong Jake! :2thumbs:

Honestly, I just don't think we have the roster, don't know that we ever will in the modern age.
    Bow Down to Washington
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information