Arizona State game - targetting

mikeak

Reaction score
Kind of Hail Mary pass at the end of the game. Arizona State guy catches it on the 1 yard line, six seconds left, down 7

Receiver gets leveled by a clear targeting. Easy call for targeting

Replay does also show that the act of targeting dislodges the ball so it is moving and hits the ground

Incomplete is called

Arizona State gets the 15 yard but is now on 35 yard line instead of 1. Six seconds left

So here is the question. Should the targeting rule be altered so refs can deem that ball came lose as a result of targeting and therefor they call it a completion?

Or should rules remain as is

minormillikin

Reaction score
It probably should be spot of foul.

But, keep in mind, ASU should have already lost. That fumble they recovered should have been overturned. The runner was down before the ball came loose. College officiating is horrible.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Well I disagree on the fumble call

I could not tell when he contacts the ground vs the ball is out. I was surprised that they didn’t truly stop the video.

Either way fumble was the call on the field and to close to overturn

Regardless that targeting from the bigger perspective is real interesting. Spot foul is an option

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
minormillikin":3m34wk2m said:
It probably should be spot of foul.

But, keep in mind, ASU should have already lost. That fumble they recovered should have been overturned. The runner was down before the ball came loose. College officiating is horrible.
It’s slightly better than the NFL, so they have that going for them.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Still a suspension for the first half of next game, so it's not like anyone is going to willingly commit a targeting infraction.

I like the college rules when it comes to pass defense. Spot fouls are so stupid. Oh no my guy made a little contact on your wr even though he had little to no chance to catch the ball anyway. Here, have a free 60 yards. Stupid as hell.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3lpjgcgt said:
Still a suspension for the first half of next game, so it's not like anyone is going to willingly commit a targeting infraction.

I like the college rules when it comes to pass defense. Spot fouls are so stupid. Oh no my guy made a little contact on your wr even though he had little to no chance to catch the ball anyway. Here, have a free 60 yards. Stupid as hell.

I agree on the college PI rule to an extent. Back and forth little pushing on eachother - 15 yard. I do wish it would almost be like basketball though with a "clear path foul" like if you tear a guy down from behind because he has you beat then it should be a spot foul

My direct issue is when the targeting is directly the cause of the ball hitting the ground. I realize people will (probably) not do that intentionally but it was the outcome. So in the end there was a huge benefit to the team that committed the penalty.