No better fit for UW than Chris Petersen

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
In terms of leadership, I’d argue this program hasn’t been in a better overall position since Don James.

Now, the last thing I want to do is offend the Husky faithful who watched the dominance of the Don James era – one that included four Rose Bowl wins, six conference titles and a national championship during his 18-year tenure. There’s a reason he’s considered “The Dawgfather” – the best coach in program history.

But think about the current stability and potential – about the recruiting success, about the way it’s run – and I can’t think of a better leader for this program than Chris Petersen.

Anyone who knows me realizes that I’m not a die-hard Husky fan - that while I have a deep respect and admiration for the Dawgs and while I root for them 99 percent of the time, my loyalties ultimately lie elsewhere. So consider my take tonight one of pure envy – one shared by many supporters of other programs around the country, including those of the Huskies’ closest rivals.

Chris Petersen is arguably a Top 5 coach in college football. In four seasons, he’s already led the Dawgs to a College Football Playoff and a conference title, and probably should’ve won a second one last year.

But I also can’t think of another top-tiered coach who would be a better fit at UW – and one who legitimately could be on Montlake for 20 years or more.

https://q13fox.com/2018/08/26/commentar ... -petersen/

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
But I also can’t think of another top-tiered coach who would be a better fit at UW – and one who legitimately could be on Montlake for 20 years or more.

Very true.

Not only as it pertains to success. Seattle/Huskies fans have a certain pathology that they want to win justly. With a clean program. It appeals to our liberal nature. Winning isn't the only thing here. Seattle fans will and have suffered mediocrity at the coaching levels if it also meant doing it in a clean manner.

Petersen also appeals strongly to our strangely provincial manner. He's a coach who has an acceptable understanding that the PNW is indeed the center of the universe. And his loyalty to the region is beyond reproach. He's not an outsider (Neuheisel/Sarkisian). He's 'one of us'. And his history has strongly suggested that he's a PNW coach for life. So there is an unassailable level of acceptance for Petersen that no other coach would have.

We've always been this way. Don James is beloved here. But when he started out, he was probably a mere six months from being run out of town on a rail. He didn't succeed immediately. He was an outsider. He earned his place here through victory and later through his steadfast loyalty to the region once other gigs became available for him to decline.

Petersen already had that the moment he walked in the door. So really I'd say he's a more perfect fit than Don James was. Even if James now has set the gold standard. That took many years and almost didn't happen.

D

DomeHawk

Attyla the Hawk":3dl85900 said:

Very true.

Not only as it pertains to success. Seattle/Huskies fans have a certain pathology that they want to win justly. With a clean program. It appeals to our liberal nature. Winning isn't the only thing here. Seattle fans will and have suffered mediocrity at the coaching levels if it also meant doing it in a clean manner.

Petersen also appeals strongly to our strangely provincial manner. He's a coach who has an acceptable understanding that the PNW is indeed the center of the universe. And his loyalty to the region is beyond reproach. He's not an outsider (Neuheisel/Sarkisian). He's 'one of us'. And his history has strongly suggested that he's a PNW coach for life. So there is an unassailable level of acceptance for Petersen that no other coach would have.

We've always been this way. Don James is beloved here. But when he started out, he was probably a mere six months from being run out of town on a rail. He didn't succeed immediately. He was an outsider. He earned his place here through victory and later through his steadfast loyalty to the region once other gigs became available for him to decline.

Petersen already had that the moment he walked in the door. So really I'd say he's a more perfect fit than Don James was. Even if James now has set the gold standard. That took many years and almost didn't happen.

^^^^ I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Excellent post!