Tyler Hilinski Had Stage 1 CTE

D

DomeHawk

sc85sis":1qdzfrff said:
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/06/26/tyler-hilinski-suicide-washington-state-qb-cte

My heart goes out to his parents and brothers. Reading this and seeing the video just made me want to cry.

I really hope researchers can find a way to test for this with some kind of brain imaging and can a devise treatment.

Having a 17-year-old son playing 4a football this is really frightening.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2tvu6kr2 said:
sc85sis":2tvu6kr2 said:
https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/06/26/tyler-hilinski-suicide-washington-state-qb-cte

My heart goes out to his parents and brothers. Reading this and seeing the video just made me want to cry.

I really hope researchers can find a way to test for this with some kind of brain imaging and can a devise treatment.

My older son's football playing ended after his sophomore year due to a spinal injury. I told my younger son, who already runs track and wants to play football next year, to play soccer instead.

DJrmb

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2037ocyc said:
DomeHawk":2037ocyc said:
sc85sis":2037ocyc said:

My older son's football playing ended after his sophomore year due to a spinal injury. I told my younger son, who already runs track and wants to play football next year, to play soccer instead.

Just because the studies haven't gotten over to soccer yet doesn't mean the risk isn't just as high as anyone playing American Football. That's just where the attention to CTE first started so naturally that's where researchers have the most info right now. You're going to find evidence of CTE all over the place I bet in the next 10-20 years, and probably some sort of CTE risk in just about every sport.

https://www.wired.com/story/brain-trauma-scientists-turn-their-attention-to-soccer/
In 2013, Lipton reported in the journal Neuroradiology that repeated heading the ball—even without getting a concussion—is associated with cognitive problems and physical changes to the structure of the brain. Players head the ball, on average, six to 12 times per game, trying to deflect balls that travel up to 50 miles per hour in recreational games. In practice, players head the ball up to 30 or more times in a row during drills. Lipton’s study suggests that initial problems with memory began at 1,800 headers.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/14/health/brain-damage-dementia-cte-soccer-football-study/index.html
Until the publication of Tuesday's paper, only four soccer players were known to have CTE: Astle, Brazilian star Bellini, amateur American player Patrick Grange, and Curtis Baushke, who played youth soccer through high school. The new report in the journal Acta Neuropathologica doubles the number of cases of soccer players known to have CTE.

OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score
I also think that there have to be additional causal factors. Why do some players seem to be unaffected (at least symptomatically)? There’s no doubt head trauma is a big part of the equation, but what else contributes?

Frustrating for all who love sports. No one wants to see players mess their lives and health up.

D

DomeHawk

sc85sis":pivrzxkg said:
I also think that there have to be additional causal factors. Why do some players seem to be unaffected (at least symptomatically)? There’s no doubt head trauma is a big part of the equation, but what else contributes?

Frustrating for all who love sports. No one wants to see players mess their lives and health up.

99% of all deceased NFL players show signs of CTE.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":388wrvlw said:
sc85sis":388wrvlw said:

I would have to see evidence that that data set showing 99% doesn't have selection bias to buy it. I know for a fact they have not tested "all deceased NFL Players", so you can start with removing that fallacy.

OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1h38bm5i said:
sc85sis":1h38bm5i said:

Unless they’ve autopsied every deceased player, that stat may not be accurate. They’ve checked several deceased players who exhibited behavior that made them suspect CTE. To get an accurate look, they’re going to need a lot more guys to agree to have their brains checked after they die so the scientists can get a good sample size across a wide spectrum of players.

CPHawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2apaxs0h said:
sc85sis":2apaxs0h said:

But they dont say how many deceased males who played other sports show signs?

D

DomeHawk

sc85sis":1lmhh0bt said:
DomeHawk":1lmhh0bt said:
sc85sis":1lmhh0bt said:

Unless they’ve autopsied every deceased player, that stat may not be accurate. They’ve checked several deceased players who exhibited behavior that made them suspect CTE. To get an accurate look, they’re going to need a lot more guys to agree to have their brains checked after they die so the scientists can get a good sample size across a wide spectrum of players.

I should have wrote "99% of all deceased NFL players tested" but nevertheless, that's an incredible statistic even without full documentation.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CPHawk":3es5to0h said:
DomeHawk":3es5to0h said:
sc85sis":3es5to0h said:

There were 111 NFL players tested.

Not sure that it matters in this (or any) context (unless you want to know which sport is worse, not better), but many sports are just catching up to these studies.

There are 7 former NHL players but they have just started the research.

a recent study of 14 former soccer players showed 4 (of 6 brains tested) had signs of CTE while 12 had advanced dementia before death. Now the dementia may have been wny these athletes were selected for the study.

But either way... the connections are significant and ignoring them is nearing criminal behavior

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":pem6l9rk said:
CPHawk":pem6l9rk said:
DomeHawk":pem6l9rk said:
sc85sis":pem6l9rk said:

Not sure that it matters in this (or any) context (unless you want to know which sport is worse, not better), but many sports are just catching up to these studies.

a recent study of 14 former soccer players showed 4 (of 6 brains tested) had signs of CTE while 12 had advanced dementia before death. Now the dementia may have been wny these athletes were selected for the study.

But either way... the connections are significant and ignoring them is nearing criminal behavior

I don't think anyone is suggesting ignoring the symptoms here. The point is someone has to do an actual scientific study and not some post-hoc evaluation that is tantamount to a PR stunt. It does the real issues no justice to come to conclusions based upon selection bias. What if it turns out there are other contributing factors to CTE symptoms that need to be explored (genetic, environmental, chemicals, etc...), yet get ignored for years because people focused in on concussions too quickly as the only cause?

Here is a short oped article published 2 days after the aforementioned "study" that summarizes the sentiment.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-op-0802-cte-study-football-20170801-story.html

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Uncle Si":n96v127z said:

I don't pay much attention to CTE, and I certainly don't think I deserve to go to jail for that.

D

DomeHawk

Milehighhawk":203mk5d8 said:
Uncle Si":203mk5d8 said:
CPHawk":203mk5d8 said:
DomeHawk":203mk5d8 said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting ignoring the symptoms here. The point is someone has to do an actual scientific study and not some post-hoc evaluation that is tantamount to a PR stunt. It does the real issues no justice to come to conclusions based upon selection bias. What if it turns out there are other contributing factors to CTE symptoms that need to be explored (genetic, environmental, chemicals, etc...), yet get ignored for years because people focused in on concussions too quickly as the only cause?

Here is a short oped article published 2 days after the aforementioned "study" that summarizes the sentiment.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-op-0802-cte-study-football-20170801-story.html

I don't want to speak for anyone else but this is exactly what I think the author of that statement meant by not "ignoring" these findings, i.e., this deserves to be researched further.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":3grcitgp said:
Uncle Si":3grcitgp said:
CPHawk":3grcitgp said:
DomeHawk":3grcitgp said:

Youre limiting this issue to one study, when clearly there have been more. We also have a number of living and deceased players from sports, including NFL, who have been diagnosed with CTE. We have seen the NFL, NHL, world soccer and other sports react to these events with rules changes and equipment improvements.

That's not ad-hoc, nor a PR stunt. Its a continuing and troubling pattern.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
How many people who have never played sports and therefore have never bothered to have their brains extensively examined by doctors have CTE?

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":330c8srd said:
Milehighhawk":330c8srd said:
Uncle Si":330c8srd said:
CPHawk":330c8srd said:

Youre limiting this issue to one study, when clearly there have been more. We also have a number of living and deceased players from sports, including NFL, who have been diagnosed with CTE. We have seen the NFL, NHL, world soccer and other sports react to these events with rules changes and equipment improvements.

That's not ad-hoc, nor a PR stunt. Its a continuing and troubling pattern.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure I was responding to the one study that gets that 99% figure quoted ridiculously as if it is a scientific fact. Yeah, that is what I was doing.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
you shouldve read the study then...

it was 111 football players, over 200 total. the additional studies also act as a foundation for future ones. And nowhere did anyone suggest it was scientific facts... just the very factual results of the study.

So not sure what you were doing i guess

CPHawk

Reaction score
Girls soccer found to have just as high of head injuries.

Latest posts