A Penny for your thoughts? Rashaad Penny, Running Back

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's a great pick. I liked him better than Guice. Problem is, I don't like the pick here.

It's likely we could've gotten him in the 3rd round. The only thing I can think is that they wanted him, didn't get a good offer to move down again, didn't have a 2nd round pick, and GB's 3rd round pick was too low. 2 rounds is a long time to wait for your guy.

Pina Colonics

Reaction score
Eh. Time will tell but, 1st round?

Hernandez is there 10'years. I've seen a lot of ankles and shins broken the last few years. RB don't last too long. Going to give it a D honestly. Deep deep draft for RB's and at the minimum it's a 'reach'. SMH

endzorn

Reaction score
This is why I want Seattle to trade down as much as possible. Every time they actually choose someone in the first round it’s a horribly disappointing pick. This is a kid we absolutely could have chosen 25 picks later. Trade down. Trade some more. They could trade into the fourth round and still get the top player on their board.

Vaclav44

Reaction score
3.32 YPC when hit at or behind the LOS. That's what they liked, given our penchant for not opening holes for our RBs....

j hawk

Reaction score
Penny was my favorite back in the draft (other than Barkley). They had limited draft capitol and probably no trade partners at pick 27. It is what it is.

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":879jf7i1 said:
Rocket":879jf7i1 said:
I kinda like him. A faster lighter Beast, eh?

He's exactly the same size - same speed.

Penny has a slightly narrower base or ass then Lynch, Lynch had a crab like inside running style, but Penny is sneaky slippery in a different way, slide step both directions, and can hard plant and cut left or right, has a shoulder dip move when approaching contact and can step around a defender then add the stutter step at full speed.

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":1fzagku3 said:
DomeHawk":1fzagku3 said:
Rocket":1fzagku3 said:

Penny has a slightly narrower base or ass then Lynch, Lynch had a crab like inside running style, but Penny is sneaky slippery in a different way, slide step both directions, and can hard plant and cut left or right, has a shoulder dip move when approaching contact and can step around a defender then add the stutter step at full speed.

I was referring to height/weight 5'11" 220ish but good info, I'm totally stoked about this pick.

I hear he's pretty durable too, a big part of the deliberation.

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":2rltxj6k said:
DomeHawk":2rltxj6k said:
Rocket":2rltxj6k said:

I was referring to height/weight 5'11" 220ish but good info, I'm totally stoked about this pick.

I hear he's pretty durable too, a big part of the deliberation.

Marshawn Terrell Lynch is an American football running back for the Oakland Raiders of the National Football League. Wikipedia
Born: April 22, 1986 (age 32 years), Oakland
Height: 5′ 11″
40 yard dash time: 4.46 seconds
Weight: 215 lbs

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
After months of anticipation, my guy Penney gets to be a Seahawk. I'm excited to see him on the field, and one day soon, all of y'all will see the deep wisdom of this particular pick. I see a definite RPOTY possibility with Penney.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Dont know anything about him but a sturdy running game is all I want! Hope he beasts out. A Penny Beast.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
You have made a great, great pick. Don't pay attention to the fools to think they know something about Rashaad Penny. I live here in San Diego. I have season tickets to the San Diego State Aztecs. I've seen every game he played both home and away in person and on TV. Rashaad Penny is the REAL DEAL!

5'11" 220 lbs. 4.46 forty yard dash. 2,248 yards rushing, 23 TD's. 7 kick return TD's (tied for an FBS record). He also had punt return TD's in addition to that. Which is all the more impressive when you consider they were terrified to even kick to him. They did not kick to him. If they kicked to him he would have 15 return TD's. He is awesome on special teams and awesome as a RB too.

He catches so good that they would line him up wide and send him deep sometimes. Plus he makes plays that way. They thought at one time of putting him at WR because he catches so well.

Stop paying attention to the FOOLS who think they know something about Penny. He is pretty much on par with Barkley for explosive plays. He may have more yards than Barkley. I could see him be offensive rookie of the year. He has the ability. He's hugely explosive with great vision and moves. The so called "experts" and "analysts" just watch nationally televised games. Therefore they see USC, LSU, Georgia and others and assume (wrongly) that those guys are great or better than Penny (they are not). Penny is just from a less known program, does not get the exposure, does not get the nationally televised games. Both posters on here and analysts suffer from this problem. They have not seen him play and they think they so called experts are right. They are wrong!

I will tell you this. Your GM said they would pick him at #18. He is worth every bit of that. He's a STEAL at #27. In fact if he stays healthy and you build your O Line a bit around him people will look back at this draft and wonder why he was picked #27. Because truth be told he is FAR BETTER THAN THAT. You just got a top 10 - 15 player in this draft. He will go to Pro Bowls if he can stay healthy. I wish we got him. But you did. Good for you.

The guys who are complaining about this are soon to be proven badly wrong. Wait and see!

:D

pmedic920

Reaction score
I just typed it in another thread.

I see “All Pro” in this kid’s future, if he can stay healthy (on the field).

I don’t dislike the pick one bit.
We needed a RB.

pmedic920

Reaction score
endzorn":e7pbyqdd said:
This is why I want Seattle to trade down as much as possible. Every time they actually choose someone in the first round it’s a horribly disappointing pick. This is a kid we absolutely could have chosen 25 picks later. Trade down. Trade some more. They could trade into the fourth round and still get the top player on their board.

You say this like he would have still been available, what makes you so sure?

You also speak like “trades” are always available. It takes two teams to make a trade, and your trade partner has to have something to offer that makes sense for you (value).

In the draft there are two distinct things to look for, 1) fill needs, 2) get best player available.

Seahawks have needs and RB is one of our biggest, in a PC system you have to be able to run the ball.

IMHO if we miss our needs, and end up just taking the best players available we “miss the draft”, and have to hope you get lucky with best available player.

IMHO, if you don’t fill the need when that spot is available, you risk not filling that need. In this situation the risk wasn’t worth it.
Again I ask you, what makes you think this kid would be available 25 or so picks later?

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
He has a chance to be great he checks all the boxes is a 3down back and has no character issues.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, when you don't have a 2d round pick, grabbing a 2d round talent late in the 1st makes sense. Assuming he's 2d round talent, of course. I've heard a lot of commentary on both sides of that question, and I guess time will tell.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Comment from above:
""I hear he's pretty durable too, a big part of the deliberation.""
I heard an interview with Penney's father. Papa said Penney, since he started playing football, all through high school and all through his time at SDSU - Rashaad Penney NEVER MISSED a PRACTICE or a GAME. He's a Sturdy guy for sure and after last seasons injured RB situation, that's a hell of a big feather in his cap.

Can a rookie RB be an NFL - RPOTY and/or MVP? -- I think we MAY find out the answer this year, very optimistic, but potentially possible if the running game takes off like I think it will. PC means business, the draft shows there will be a major commitment to the running game & he drafted players with that specifically in mind. Once the running game is improved and established to the point of being feared by other teams, RW will ball out, the defense will be able to rest more so they can ball out. Bottom line, win time of possession, evolve into a balanced offense, a rested defense in the 4-th quarter to close out and WIN games. Lots of excitement ahead.

Will we have a real new "SHINY PENNEY"? ------------------------------> HELL YES.
:smilingalien: