Rashad Penny San Diego State

ivotuk

Reaction score
I was really liking this guy, but sounds like he's struggling at the Senior Bowl

Question No. 3: Which prospect raised more questions than answers with his performance this week?

Kiper: Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State.

He looked like a one-dimensional player in Mobile. He dropped passes and struggled to catch the ball. We know Penny can run -- he rushed for 2,248 yards in 2017 -- but he needed to show that he could do the little things, and that didn't happen. He also struggled in pass protection. I'd also throw in Virginia QB Kurt Benkert, who struggled with accuracy all week.

McShay: Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State.

I liked Penny on tape, but he just didn't seem to be dialed in and wasn't the same player I studied. He seemed like he fought the ball at times and missed some open holes. Again, it's only three days of practice, but I thought he'd clearly be the No. 1 back here, and that just wasn't the case.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Good maybe his value will take a hit and we can get him later.

Kids a stud on the field. I don't care about the 2 days of practice on an all star team.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kiper also said Wilson career back up or practice team guy also.......................

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2321fjt7 said:
Good maybe his value will take a hit and we can get him later.

Kids a stud on the field. I don't care about the 2 days of practice on an all star team.
This is my thought, too. I don't put much stock into the senior bowl. I'll add the combine to that as well. Extended game tape tells all.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He was one of the most dangerous players on that field today.

I liked him and Ballage a lot (Then again, I was a big fan of Ballage for a while).

I suppose he has problems in pass protect, but I don't care. He was ripping through some of the best guys in college FB easily today.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Penny is not generally considered a true "power" runner, but seems to have a lot of subtle moves and true "burst" in his runs. He finds creases in the gaps and flies thru them. Penny looks like the real deal to me. I hope the Seahawks feel the same 'cause this guy could be a game changer. I just ran across this information that I think maybe a few people were not aware of and paints a slightly different picture of Penny the RB.

Rashaad Penny 2017 tied for most missed tackles among FBS running backs with 86, Per PFF
""SDSU RB Rashaad Penny was a missed tackle forcing machine in 2017.""
scroll down at: https://twitter.com/PFF_College

So, we know a lot about what Penny can do as a runner and as a premier KO return guy. ""He was the nation's all-purpose yardage leader (2,698-yds; 224.8 yards per game), Rashaad Penny has scored 24 touchdowns for the 10-2 Aztecs, coming four different ways this season - 19 rushing, 2 receiving, 2 kickoff return and 1 via punt return. Penny has rushed for a nation-leading 2248-yards, averaging 7.78 yards per carry with a 95-yd long run, 81 rushes for 1-st downs, 58-rushes of 10+ yds. & 29-rushes of 20+ yds. IMO-Penny was the whole SDSU offense, the opponents knew they had to stop him & they didn't do much of that given his #'s, so he must be a pretty darn good RB regardless of level of competition. So, then the question becomes not what he can't do but what he can, (1-) run the ball, (2-) catch the ball, (3-) return kicks. If pass blocking is a concern, note that blocking can be coached up if he's a willing tackler (which he is).
:smilingalien:

gowazzu02

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":2jxwb3rt said:
Penny is not generally considered a true "power" runner, but seems to have a lot of subtle moves and true "burst" in his runs. He finds creases in the gaps and flies thru them. Penny looks like the real deal to me. I hope the Seahawks feel the same 'cause this guy could be a game changer. I just ran across this information that I think maybe a few people were not aware of and paints a slightly different picture of Penny the RB.

Rashaad Penny 2017 tied for most missed tackles among FBS running backs with 86, Per PFF
""SDSU RB Rashaad Penny was a missed tackle forcing machine in 2017.""
scroll down at: https://twitter.com/PFF_College

So, we know a lot about what Penny can do as a runner and as a premier KO return guy. ""He was the nation's all-purpose yardage leader (2,698-yds; 224.8 yards per game), Rashaad Penny has scored 24 touchdowns for the 10-2 Aztecs, coming four different ways this season - 19 rushing, 2 receiving, 2 kickoff return and 1 via punt return. Penny has rushed for a nation-leading 2248-yards, averaging 7.78 yards per carry with a 95-yd long run, 81 rushes for 1-st downs, 58-rushes of 10+ yds. & 29-rushes of 20+ yds. IMO-Penny was the whole SDSU offense, the opponents knew they had to stop him & they didn't do much of that given his #'s, so he must be a pretty darn good RB regardless of level of competition. So, then the question becomes not what he can't do but what he can, (1-) run the ball, (2-) catch the ball, (3-) return kicks. If pass blocking is a concern, note that blocking can be coached up if he's a willing tackler (which he is).

Im all in on either him or Sony Michelle. I hope the hawks trade down a couple times to either late first or early second and take either guy. Thats dream scenario for me.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2M42wL7E1o

RB-Rashaad Penney, what I see. (I know, it's a "highlight" tape, but still illustrates his +'s shown below).

1. He doesn't hesitate behind the line of scrimmage, gets the handoff and is extremely quick through holes and creases that he sees with his excellent vision, this significantly helps his high ypc. His quickness is evident on film. IIRC, even Lynch had to learn that early in his time with the Seahawks, no false steps, no dancing, get the ball and go. Penney already knows that and it shows on tape.

2. He's much, much faster than he is given credit for, frequently has long runs while pulling away from defenders.

3. He's more of an evasive type runner, that can get around defenders rather than through them, this may actually produce more yards over a 220-lb. RB trying to steamroll a big 330-lb O-lineman or to take on other defenders head on and expect to prevail more than fail. IMO, RB's extend their careers by running around a defender rather than try to blow them up every time, especially if that defenders has 100+ pounds on the RB. Penney has plenty of subtle moves that have allowed him to avoid contact but has also shown he can play the hammer as well.

4. He has excellent K. O. Return abilities and is a threat every time he touches the ball (7-career TD's) this also shows that he "plants & goes" on returns without any hesitation at all. That's how it's best done as a returner and Penney is one of the best ever in that regard, holding top NCAA records.

5. Penney has a few areas to work on, specifically: pass blocking, learning the play book and learning routes as a receiver, all of which should be correctable with NFL coaching. His first year as an NFL RB would likely see him challenging to be the lead back, but if he's slow in correcting his few flaws, he may not have a major impact until his 2-nd season, once all is figured out. Worst case in his rookie year is he joins a RB by committee, paired with their other RB's on the roster, while taking over KO return duty. I wouldn't be shocked if the Seahawks use two of their top picks on RB's to once and for all, fix the running game. Imagine a combo of Jones/Penney or Johnson/Penney.

Few, if any (ever) RB's will be Lynch clones, yet most think that's the only type of RB the Seahawks should ever draft, considering that there will likely never be another Lynch available another direction must be taken. Penney is different than Lynch, however, he has his own style & it isn't necessarily worse, it's just different. He is the Rodney Dangerfield of this draft and is viewed by many as a big statistical producer for an FCS team. There are many examples of small school players excelling in the NFL, IMO, Penney has an excellent chance to add his name to that group.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wasn't some guy that played for the Rams out of that school also? Think he was named Marshall Faulk....

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
I like him better than anyone not named Barkley
i love the wiggle, burst and power
He reminds me of a stronger Shaun Alexander

hawknation2018

Reaction score
#1 Saquon Barkley
#2 Derrius Guice
#3 Sony Michel
#4 Ronald Jones
#5 Rashad Penny
#6 Nick Chubb

original poster

Reaction score
I've paid quite a lot of attention to the RB class this offseason for obvious reasons.

Here's mine, although I must stress it is ever changing!

#1 Saquon Barkley
#2 Nick Chubb
#3 Derrius Guice
#4 Sony Michel
#5 Ronald Jones
#6 Rashad Penny

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seahawkwalt1967":25zy2akr said:
hawknation2018":25zy2akr said:
#1 Saquon Barkley
#2 Derrius Guice
#3 Sony Michel
#4 Ronald Jones
#5 Rashad Penny
#6 Nick Chubb

No Kerryon Johnson?

I would put him behind a few guys.

Ito Smith is really good too. I could see Carroll getting fired up over Smith.

[youtube]kKSJjLqWLuA[/youtube]

So . . . many . . . RBs.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3jl5eiqk said:
Seahawkwalt1967":3jl5eiqk said:
hawknation2018":3jl5eiqk said:
#1 Saquon Barkley
#2 Derrius Guice
#3 Sony Michel
#4 Ronald Jones
#5 Rashad Penny
#6 Nick Chubb

No Kerryon Johnson?

So . . . many . . . RBs.

Good Lord those highlights are insane. He has jukes on his jukes. I see a little Barry Sanders in him. 5’9” 195 isn’t bad. Wonder where he goes in the draft. Nice find

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Seahawkwalt1967":w14rxrmt said:
hawknation2018":w14rxrmt said:
Seahawkwalt1967":w14rxrmt said:
hawknation2018":w14rxrmt said:
#1 Saquon Barkley
#2 Derrius Guice
#3 Sony Michel
#4 Ronald Jones
#5 Rashad Penny
#6 Nick Chubb

No Kerryon Johnson?

So . . . many . . . RBs.

Good Lord those highlights are insane. He has jukes on his jukes. I see a little Barry Sanders in him. 5’9” 195 isn’t bad. Wonder where he goes in the draft. Nice find
Holy crap, that's one of the best highlight reels I've ever seen. He's fast, he's quick, he's an ankle breaker, he's slippery, and he runs with a low center of gravity.

The only thing this doesn't show is can he pass block? But who cares make him the 3rd down back and get him the ball in space.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Ito Smith reminds me of a "water bug" zigzagging across a still pond. (That's a good thing.) He would provide some good
diversity in the Seahawks RB room. A potential late Rd-5 or Rd-7 pick maybe?

sc85sis

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1yn5i25g said:
Seahawkwalt1967":1yn5i25g said:
hawknation2018":1yn5i25g said:
#1 Saquon Barkley
#2 Derrius Guice
#3 Sony Michel
#4 Ronald Jones
#5 Rashad Penny
#6 Nick Chubb

No Kerryon Johnson?

So . . . many . . . RBs.
Reminds me of Reggie, but smaller. He’d have to be a situational guy, but if he finds a coach who maximizes what he can do, I think he could succeed in the NFL.

Latest posts