2018 Draft-Seahawks needs, picks, prospects to watch

ivotuk

Reaction score
Despite what people think we need (OL), OLB that can cover out of the backfield is our #1 need IMHO. When we gave up big plays, it was when Bobby Wagner (MLB) and/or KJ Wright (WLB) were injured. The backups just weren't sufficient.

I wonder if Davenport is fast enough to cover RBs and TEs? IIRC, he's about the right size for a LB/DE Tweener.

CBS Sports: 2018 NFL Draft: Seattle Seahawks team needs, draft picks, prospects to watch

Prospects to watch

Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina

The tight end class doesn't have three first-round prospects like it did in 2017, but there are plenty of quality mid-round picks who can excel at the next level. Hurst is a seam-stretcher who looks like an athlete who'll test well at the combine, something the front office in Seattle holds in high regard.

Will Richardson, RT, NC State

The 6-foot-6, 300-plus pounder was magnificent in pass protection for the pro-style system at NC State in 2017. His pass-blocking efforts should be the main reason the Seahawks consider him after Round 1.

Sean Welsh, OG, Iowa

Welsh is precisely what you'd expect from an Iowa interior offensive lineman. He's fundamentally sound, impactful as a run-blocker and has a good amount of play strength at the point of attack.

Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA

The super-sleeper from University of Texas-San Antonio looks like a Seahawks defensive end all the way. He's long, twitchy, and has an array of pass-rushing moves. Don't be surprised if he's gone before Seattle goes on the clock though. Yes, in Round 1.

Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa

Jackson played more man at Iowa than what Seattle would ask of him, but his tremendous ball-skills and athletic talents make him a prospect the Seahawks will likely love.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Do you have any thoughts on Dallas Goedert TE from South Dakota state? Sounds like he'd be a decent get if Jimmy goes.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't know anything about him, but I'm going to find out. A lot of people are talking him up though.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I'm happy to share my research file on Goedert, might save you some searching. The Seahawks are likely to draft a TE, especially if they trade Jimmy & Willson is/isn't retained. Goedert is a ++ possibility depending on pick availability.

TE-Dallas Goedert, So. Dakota St. 6-032/255, 4.91/40? +/-, ranked #82-overall, proj. Rd-2/3 (nfldraftscout.com 1/06/18)
2017: 14 games, 72/1111/7-TD's, 15.43-YPC ---- WR #'s from a TE, check out blocking & combine #'s.
CAREER: 52 games, 198/2988/22-TD's, 15.09-YPC
STATS per: http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/careerplayer
FILM: https://draftbreakdown.com/2017/10/24/d ... -tcu-2016/
UTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ2AIClZOAI
----Analysis: May be a pass catching replacement for Jimmy, only he's good between the 20's, good hands, catch radius, appears to have long arms. Primarily used as a passing weapon, limited views of blocking show "willing +" still better than Jimmy, speed on tape looks average + for a TE, average - as a primary WR.
Watch at Sr. bowl and at combine.
----NOTES: **Will be at Senior Bowl.** Top FCS player in this draft, FCS-1-st team All American TE.
:smilingalien:

xgeoff

Reaction score
I'd add the following guys to the prospect list:

Mitch Hyatt OT, Clemson -- Plays with power in the run game and pass blocks well against elite SEC pass rushers. Has good size and athleticism.

Isaiah Wynn OG/OT, Georgia -- Has the versatility to play Guard and Tackle and anchors the line for one of the best offenses in the country, protecting the blindside for a freshman QB and about to play for a national championship. RB's Chubb and Michel are fantastic but they go nowhere if they can't get to the line of scrimmage.

Mike Gesicki TE, Penn State -- Is versatile as both a run blocker and receiver. I think he's the best TE prospect in the draft, because he can block as well as catch passes.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Glad to hear Goedert will be in the Senior Bowl. I think it's a good place to view talent because it's such a short perparation that talent is the only thing that shows. Or at least a lack of.

I like Isiah Wynn vs Oklahoma. At times It thought he looked better than Orlando Brown.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Players I'll be watching as potential Seahawks selections at the E/W Shrine game....

----EAST SQUAD----
QB-J,T. Barrett (Potential replacement at B/U QB over Boykin?)
OT-Jamar McGloster (Ifedi-who?, 34-7/8" arms, 82-1/8" wingspan)
WR-Darius Fountain (getting good press, 34.5"-arms, 79" wingspan)
DB-Tracy Walker (6-015/195, 33.5"-arms, 81-1/8"-wingspan, that has to be very "long" for a DB)
DT-Folorunso Fatukasi, (34-5/8"-arms, 82-1/8"-wingspan, 1/3/5-Tech with versatility)
DT-Kentavius Street (Does he show potential to be an interior rusher as in MB 2.0?)
LB-Jacob Pugh ( 6-3/225, 34.5"-arms, 82-1/4" wingspan, WOW length for a LB)

----WEST SQUAD----
WR-Jake Weneke (FCS WR with good production, tough)
RB-Jordan Chunn (if he does well, could be an Rd-7/UDFA?)
OT-Gregory Senat (6-061/294, 35-5/8" 84"-wingspan WOW, checks all size boxes if he adds a few lbs.)
OC/OG-Brian Allen (Short, but stout, uses leverage well, could be a decent day-3 pick=?)
S-Goodwin Igwebuike, (Has size and is an intriguing Safety prospect to watch)
DE-Justin Lawler (decent size & stats, at a position of some need,)
LB-Ja'Von Rolland-Jones. (somewhat undersized but pretty productive, speed=?)
DE-Joe Ostman (undersized hustler, productive at small school)
CB-Davonte Harris (32"-arms and has some fairly good stats.)

There are a few others worth watching as well, the above however will be difficult enough to keep track of during the game.
Thank heavens for my DVR.
:smilingalien:

Latest posts